OCZ phase?

ironforge

[H]ard|Gawd
What ever happened to the OCZ phase change unit that was supposed to be around $300? Did it ever come out? Did it drop off the face of the earth? Tried to search for some news on it but came up short.

I checked on this a few days ago. Sounds like it's still not quite ready but I wouldn't be surprised to see it towards the end of the year. I think it got delayed primarily because of some problems importing the gases or something like that. Sure would be nice especially if they can keep the price reasonable.

I thought they canceled it, or it had at least been halted in development.
From what I read at XS the compressors they used were cheap and weak, and burned out too quickly.

Honestly I don't see how they could offer a decent performing phase change unit at that price, especially considering the heat modern CPUs put out. Even prometia units (which are considerably more expensive) need modification to handle quads.

If it was even possible to build a useful phase change unit for under $300 it probably wouldnt be worth a damn... you can only cut the price of so many components before it becomes pointless (IE all-in-one 80mm watercooling systems).

You would be hard pressed to make a phase unit even close to handling a quad OC'ed for under $300 with all used parts and cheap gas. If it comes to market I believe it will be a waist of $300 bucks. My 2cents of course but I have been there and build a few ;)

Back