OCZ Phase Change Unit - $299?

Justintoxicated said:
Will it require it's own Power Supply? Or Does it plug into the wall or something?

From the looks of it I will just be going wth liquid so I can eliminate noise and also cool video cards while still getting decent overclocks.

I imagine it takes a 120V from the wall.

Yep 120v and it is nice and quiet. If you do plan on lanning with this thing you may want to ask before you head out. Most of the recent compressors of this size pull around 0.8-1.3 amps when charged but they all pull at least 12 amps while energizing. This can blow circuits nice and fast and without the proper amperage extension cord you can cause damage. You can get loads of information at xtremesystems, the designer of the unit "Chilly1" hangs there and they also have a poll up to decide on routing the evap head through the top or out the back like in the unit featured at CES.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85243

so u can get your processor to -25C

what about getting your mobo cool ? most of us can't change the multiplier's

Thats what silent fans are for lol. It dosnt take a lot to cool your mobo.

As I've said before, once this is released my paycheck is being put into it :p.

Soon ill be getting a paycheck, lol. I can see my money is gonna be drained faster than I can earn it :eek: :D

When I first read this I was dismayed, as I just finished my new WC setup a week ago.

However, I doubt they'll be able to push this into the $200 range like they hope, at least not for a while. And the beefy electricity bill makes me think I should wait to graduate before I try this out.

However, kudos to OCZ for trying to make this type of extreme cooling more available.

killxswitch said:
When I first read this I was dismayed, as I just finished my new WC setup a week ago.

However, I doubt they'll be able to push this into the $200 range like they hope, at least not for a while. And the beefy electricity bill makes me think I should wait to graduate before I try this out.

However, kudos to OCZ for trying to make this type of extreme cooling more available.

At least you hope so :p
I have to agree with him on a wait and see kind of atitude. I sure hope it brings home the bacon though!

bAcKpAiN said:
At least you hope so :p
I have to agree with him on a wait and see kind of atitude. I sure hope it brings home the bacon though!

I hope for the sake of my electric bill that this doesn't hit $250 or less before I graduate.

Or I hope for self-control. :D

Any news? Anyone?

At $300 I'm definitely interested...heh I remember paying like $750 for a MACH 1 back in the day, and the vapo PE set me back about $600 too. Let's hope it's not like those POS prometeias though that relied on fuckin black silly string to build a perfect hermetic seal. Some actual product engineering would be nice...

OCZ makes some pretty damn nice power supplies and ram though, let's hope the quality/service can carry over into this market also.

Necrophilia going on in here.... jeezus.

I thought OCZ had canned this thing? They are going forward with it?

It is canned, but they got about a 100 to sell most likely. Though they may not simply due to liability. Major problems, just again showing that cheaper end phase needs to be a bit higher priced.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1321/9/page_9_final_thoughts/index.html for those still interested.

tweaktown said:
When looking at the Cryo-Z and comparing it to the Mach II GT, several differences stand out. The mounting system for the Cryo-Z is much better and you do not have to purchase additional hardware to mount the system to different motherboard platforms. Also, since the Cryo-Z uses foam instead of the black sticky thread (goop) you end up with a motherboard that does not have a permanent mess all over it. Both the Mach II GT and OCZ Technology Cryo-Z cool the processor right around the same, even though they use different compressors. When it comes to cost the Mach II GT is around 899 US Dollars and the referee is still out on the Cryo-Z, but I would expect the final cost to be lower than 499 US Dollars.

The biggest problem I have with the Cryo-Z is the build quality. If the rumors are true then it is this reason why we are just now starting to see these coolers being made available to the public. If all of the units OCZ has in stock are like our sample then there will be a few people who are not going to be satisfied with the product based on appearance alone.

Phase cooling is an interesting option but I would like the unit to be silent which is not the case.

Show me a silent phase cooling unit that is below $500 and will buy it right away!

That low of noise is very hard to do on a tight budget, however possible. I've done so called silent systems. 25dba is almost stupid though. You can't really notice most things below 30dba that arent a foot or two away or unmuffled. Your still dissipating the same amount of heat, so you can't simply expect it to make it dissapear, it has to be dissipated somewhere.

That low of noise is very hard to do on a tight budget, however possible. I've done so called silent systems. 25dba is almost stupid though. You can't really notice most things below 30dba that arent a foot or two away or unmuffled. Your still dissipating the same amount of heat, so you can't simply expect it to make it dissapear, it has to be dissipated somewhere.

What kind of condensor rad space would be required to make a phase change system operate at 30dba then... Which is roughly on par with my current system (28dba from 3ft).

What compressor would you use that could handle a continuous heat load of 200w while staying around 30dba?

Well certain compressors are very quiet, NF9FX for instance is about as powerful as you can go, but rather expensive. A nice 3-4cc reciprocating tecumseh of the r134a kind can be very good for silence and or low noise. I've got a few of those sitting and they really are incredibly quiet. Work great with r290 and r507a or r134a. And 200W is easily doable. Now as for really low noise, the best way is to increase the surface area. The "easiest" way is a much bigger condenser setup, however this is size and cost prohibitive. A watercooled setup can help greatly and allow you to have a larger radiation space, plus you could with a large enough system easily tie in other components, like NB or GPU.
Done one or two watercooled systems, works quite well.

I'll have to look into that then n00b, I was planning on building phase system this summer anyways, since I have all the equipment and gasses.

I'm really happy to see phase cooling go "mainstream" -- or at least more mainstream than it was. It may end up ruling out water cooling at that price, although I guess it would use more electricity... still. I always like seeing this kind of technology become more available to the masses (and possibly less daunting to set up).

hmmmmmm... OCZ has been talking about making one for a long time. For atleast 2 years that I know of (back in the days of when the Opteron / x2 AMD processors were king). Having owned a phase change unit now for quite sometime, there are a few things that the "general public" or "gaming mainstream" crowds that they don't know, that would make them a little "less comfortable" owning one..

Let's begin with the compatibility. Simply put, there are several more wires, customizing a compatible computer case (mainly cutting a large hole in the bottom of your case), power requirement needs (much beefier power supply), getting involved and taking a proactive approach to condensation proofing (BIG ISSUE), etc.. More than a basic understanding of electrical parts and what those parts can or will do when introduced to ice, frost, sub zero temperatures, understanding what the dew point is, etc.. Dielectric greases (what kind, how much, which one's are acceptable and which one's are not, etc.).

Let's also not forget about limitations. Sure, a SS (single stage) phase change unit can cool a processor down. But, at some point, the temperature (watts) of heat produced at a given voltage/clock cycle vs. the continuing cycle of the phase change unit and its' ability to maintain a cooling edge/advantage and knowing when you are simply creating too much heat and over powering the phase change units ability to do its job. There are ways to beef up a phase change unit (bigger condenser, re-charge of a different gas, etc.) but now we are talking $$$.

Everything is fine and dandy on a simple phase change unit but when you increase its cooling capacity, you're effectively increasing your total overhead (total cost to the consumer). Can a sub $300 end-consumer phase change unit really do a great job of cooling the high heat output processor of todays quadcores? Maybe. But, I seriously doubt it would keep up with the likes of what's aleady out there: Vapochill, Prometeia, Cooler Express, not to mention the awesome custom phase change units that really are your best price to performance ratio.

They can "cool" a cpu, just don't expect vapo or mach performance for that price. I got out of the business long time ago because there is no way to make a unit that people expect to cool like the units already available for less money, period.

On the quiet front, sure you can make them pretty quiet, but the fan on the condenser will still be your loudest component. There are plenty of small compressors that are very quiet in operation, but the fan(s) will add much noise no matter what:(

On a side note about mounting, do you know how hard it is to give 100 people mounting kits and have maybe 20 put them on properly? Yes the other 80 are the ones that made me finally give up the business all together...

Back