OCZ or Corsair XMS for my A64 3000+?

I would go with the Corsair personally. I have had a good experience with them and never heard any complaints. I have heard some bad things about OCZs past, even though they cleaned up a bit Corsair would still be my choice. Timings on both are good though...

Another Corsair low latency vote here. I had my fsb at 225 and it ran stable for a day or so while I had it there with my bogus 3400+ (actually a 3200+). That's a pretty big boost and says a lot about the quality of Corsair's ram.;)

cambio,

Yeah I read your very dramtic thread about your "bogus" 3400+ :D

Are you sending it back?

Originally posted by pennyz
cambio,

Yeah I read your very dramtic thread about your "bogus" 3400+ :D

Are you sending it back?

I'm anxiously waiting to hear from them that they have the 3400+ in stock, at which point I'll send it back. They've promised an exchange, that is after they test it to see if it's really not a 3400+. I guess that they just have to save face at this point. Anyhow, I've stopped being a thorn in their ass about it as I finally accepted the fact that it was never meant to be that I had the only one on the block. That battle back and forth with AMD ragged me out, but it was a blast during the heat of it all just the same.:)

Good luck with your new rig!

If that corsair is rated for 2-2-2-6 then it has BH-5 chips. I would definately get it. I dont like OCZ much ither because of their history and the fact their RAM has problems of errors in the benches i've seen done on it.

cambio,
Too good to be true I guess :)
But damn that would of been sweet.. :D

burningrave101,
Yeah i'm leaning towards the Corsair, do your really think its BH-5? It dose'nt state what chips it uses on the site so you may be right(I hope so :p ).

Any idea how the Corsair we overclok? I was thinking about Ocing my 3000+ a bit when I get it..

Well CH-5 wont run 2-2-2-6 so unless those specs are inaccurate then yes its BH-5.

I'm sure the corsair will overclock fine especially if it has BH-5 chips. Im guessing the 3000+ has a 10x multi so 220FSB would give you 2.2GHz.

200-300Mhz overclock will be the most your likely to get out of the processor probably.

Corsair XMS rocks. I have my A64 3000+ overclocked to 3100+ rock solid, I think the AGP port is holding me back from going up any more.

I am by no means an expert on RAM but I just had to replace my OCZ PC2700 that failed with no OC after a year.

That may or may not mean anything.

/shrug

EDIT for PS: so far I love my new HyperX memory ;)

Originally posted by chay80
I am by no means an expert on RAM but I just had to replace my OCZ PC2700 that failed with no OC after a year.

That may or may not mean anything.

/shrug

EDIT for PS: so far I love my new HyperX memory ;)

Yea it means something....it means its OCZ memory and you shouldn't buy it ;) .

Originally posted by pennyz
Theres no need for me to consider getting 3500 type ram is there?

It will help you overclock farther, or at least eliminated the memory from being the limited factor.

im running mushkin 2x256 pc-3200 on my a64 and i have no problems. I think the cas is 2-2-2 but i don't know much about memory

I deicded on getting 2xCMX3200 512MB LOW LATENCY DDR 400MHZ 184PIN CAS2-2-2-6 .

Thx for the help everyone.

Now all I got to do is find out which mobo to get..
:confused:

For mobo I would personally go with ASUS or Abit. I have seen the highest overclock on the Chaintech though, but I have also heard problems with it. ASUS or Abit is your best bet for a mix between stability and performance. Both are great boards, just look at the features and which brand you are loyal to.

Back