OCZ had to slow down thier SSDs for Macs

RussianHAXOR

Supreme [H]ardness
I guess this is pretty lame, but its not that big of a speed loss. But nonetheless, its a loss in speed and its a shame. But sometimes i do wish it would reduce mac users' smugness. :p

Recently, OCZ introduced its line-up of products for Apple platform, as we covered it in our news story. What was weird was the fact that the Vertex Mac Edition SSDs come with different speeds compared to its PC version. If you compare the PC Version of Vertex SSD to a Mac-certified one, you will see that unfortunately, Mac SSDs endured a spec-down by 10MB/s, both in the areas of read and write.
http://brightsideofnews.com/news/20...ds-because-mac-osx-cant-handle-the-speed.aspx

I

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to know the technical reason why they had to slow down the Mac version.

Ocz didn't slow down the drive. Macs r just slower maybe at disk operations

I didn't really care until I read that it won't be fixed in Snow Leopard. That's just sad.

The old numbers (PC) were probably on older firmware..

The old numbers (PC) were probably on older firmware..

It was probably like the articl mentioned and the SATA drivers for Mac suck.

I liked this line :I am a PC - I can handle speed. I am a Mac - I am cute and cuddly, but fast hard drives can break my soft soul.

It was probably like the articl mentioned and the SATA drivers for Mac suck.

I liked this line :I am a PC - I can handle speed. I am a Mac - I am cute and cuddly, but fast hard drives can break my soft soul.

That was pretty funny. :D

This will be hard for Mac lovers to swallow because many of them are truly convinced that Macs are > PC.

I ran into one a while back and he was like one of those stubborn Jehovah Witness people that don't understand what "I'm not interested" means.

He went on for hours (I had to work with this guy for a little while so couldn't avoid him) about how great Macs are and how they are worth the price. Truly scary how he tried to convince me that Macs were superior to PC's.

I almost bought his bullshit... NOT.

Apple laptops run their sata controllers in 1.5Gbps mode even though the chipset can support sata 2.0 speeds because of the extra power the chipset uses in 2.0 mode.

Some netbooks and laptops also do this to fit into certain power/heat envolopes.

The problems is Apple also does this on Mac Pro versions too were the added speed might be needed or at the least warranted due to the market/cost of those models.

Apple is only superior to PC's in marketing genius and Steve Jobs' hatred of buttons.

Apple laptops run their sata controllers in 1.5Gbps mode even though the chipset can support sata 2.0 speeds because of the extra power the chipset uses in 2.0 mode.

Some netbooks and laptops also do this to fit into certain power/heat envolopes.

The problems is Apple also does this on Mac Pro versions too were the added speed might be needed or at the least warranted due to the market/cost of those models.

Apple is only superior to PC's in marketing genius and Steve Jobs' hatred of buttons.

The older laptops ran at 1.5Gbps because of the controller. Mine runs at 3.0Gbps...

NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia
Product: MCP79 AHCI
Speed: 3 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

OCZ-VERTEX 1275:

Capacity: 119.24 GB
Model: OCZ-VERTEX 1275
Revision: 00.P97
Serial Number: AI44436Q6D24FWY52V4K
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Xilu Ma:
Capacity: 118.92 GB
Available: 55.04 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /

I would guess that applies to even the regular hard drives inside Macbooks of all kinds, and even probably to the iMacs as they're all made from pretty much the same laptop components too...? Probably not on the iMacs as they'll be powered off AC directly but, even so... this is just idiotic from every angle.

Wonder if downgrading the SATA controller in most regular "PC" laptops would alter the heat/power usage profle. :D

Damn... talking about cutting yourself off at the knees, good lord.

I would guess that applies to even the regular hard drives inside Macbooks of all kinds, and even probably to the iMacs as they're all made from pretty much the same laptop components too...? Probably not on the iMacs as they'll be powered off AC directly but, even so... this is just idiotic from every angle.

Wonder if downgrading the SATA controller in most regular "PC" laptops would alter the heat/power usage profle. :D

Damn... talking about cutting yourself off at the knees, good lord.

I have no idea what undermind is talking about. A lot of PC laptops are limited to 1.5Gbps as well because of the controller..

But how much battery life would you save by running a SATA slot in 1.5Gbps as opposed to 3.0 Gbps...?

My guess is not a whole lot.

Thats hilarious

Part of me is happy because of this.
+10

But how much battery life would you save by running a SATA slot in 1.5Gbps as opposed to 3.0 Gbps...?

My guess is not a whole lot.

Yea I dont get why some manufacturers do this?
I mean if they want to fit into a certain battery life category, there are better ways to do this.
Personally I would rather have the full bandwidth, and just turn the brightness down on my monitor 1 click.

I mean if they want to fit into a certain battery life category, there are better ways to do this.
Personally I would rather have the full bandwidth, and just turn the brightness down on my monitor 1 click.

I don't see as to how it would save all that much power because it would take longer to move the data over the bus. When it comes down too it you have to move the same amount of data so you have to figure out if less bandwidth + more time vs. more bandwidth + less time equals less power used in regards to battery life.

I try to stay out the pc/mac argument because I don't own one and don't ever work on them, but this seem foolish to me. Maybe I am just old fashioned that way. Why pay more or the same amount for less in regards to a ssd speeds.

interesting, but not really a big deal since no one will notice a difference of 10MB/s
seems like there was an issue with the X25-M 80GB not working in bootcamp, but I think the newer ones do as well as the 160GB version

interesting, but not really a big deal since no one will notice a difference of 10MB/s

we noticed :confused:
Then again we aren't exactly Apples dumb user base. They buid products based around the fact that their customers cant do simple things like turn their computers on.

I really like mac products, but the cult of mac users is what makes me what to get a flame thrower and torch everyone and everything in Mac stores across America. There is nothing reasonable about them, and God help you if you even look like your about to say Windows. Smug assholes.....

I was just telling my wife the other day how it's no surprise more and more typical, fat, lazy Americans are going to Mac. It's basically for retards, or something you give to kids. It's hard to F up, it's hard to catch a virus or spyway; it equates to a grown ups fisher price toy. They should call it itard. Seriously, my wife's sister is retarded and wants a computer. The first thing out of my mouth was, "get her a mac". That speaks volumes to me, and not necessarily in a good way.

I thought it would be an entertaining story for people who love macs and for people who enjoy SSDs.

I really like mac products, but the cult of mac users is what makes me what to get a flame thrower and torch everyone and everything in Mac stores across America. There is nothing reasonable about them, and God help you if you even look like your about to say Windows. Smug assholes.....

I was just telling my wife the other day how it's no surprise more and more typical, fat, lazy Americans are going to Mac. It's basically for retards, or something you give to kids. It's hard to F up, it's hard to catch a virus or spyway; it equates to a grown ups fisher price toy. They should call it itard. Seriously, my wife's sister is retarded and wants a computer. The first thing out of my mouth was, "get her a mac". That speaks volumes to me, and not necessarily in a good way.

Are you equating an OS that's easy to fuck up, easy to catch a virus/spyware, is a good thing? :rolleyes:

we noticed :confused:
Then again we aren't exactly Apples dumb user base. They buid products based around the fact that their customers cant do simple things like turn their computers on.
I was saying no one would notice from the subjective experience of just using the computer.
And really, you're calling Apple's user base dumb? You know blanket statements like that are bullshit. IMO, Apple users are smarter than the typical PC user - neither of them know WTF they're doing, but at least the Apple users are smart enough to choose a OS that's harder to fuck up :p

I was saying no one would notice from the subjective experience of just using the computer.
And really, you're calling Apple's user base dumb? You know blanket statements like that are bullshit. IMO, Apple users are smarter than the typical PC user - neither of them know WTF they're doing, but at least the Apple users are smart enough to choose a OS that's harder to fuck up :p

Of course statements made like mine are bullshit, they have no factual basis whatsoever.
Although I am still entitled to my own opinion. ;)

Are you equating an OS that's easy to fuck up, easy to catch a virus/spyware, is a good thing? :rolleyes:

Someday, someone is going to go past the breaking point with that attitude about Windows and they're going to sit down and spend some time dissecting OSX bit by bit, and when they do, they'll discover that - just like Linux - it simply ain't all that. And then they're going to write a few little goodies that will bring down that OS like the proverbial house of cards in a hurricane...

Where will your god be then?

this is why I hate fanboys

Yea, we kinda have a bit of both in this thread, I'm partial to both actually.
I love Microsoft (NOT M$!) Windows but I've been kind of looking at a unibody MacBook on and off. I've heard they're well built and they look good, plus I can run windows on them.

No, and that's the point you miss. I've been running Windows for every. Do you know how many viruses I've got? NONE. I rarely get spyware either. Why? Because I take care of my shit. I run the scans, and don't go to sites like www.swingingmidgetfarmanimalanalsex.com, so I don't get infected with garbage code made by sleaze balls.

It's just like anything else in life. When you buy a car, do you maintain it, or just drive it until it dies? If you maintain it, it's far more likely to be problem free for a while. Same with just about everything.

And then there is Mac. Nice, but overpriced hardware running software that despite the Mac cult's cry to the contrary isn't all that. Not to be a hypocrite, I've tried Macs. I love the air, but I just can't use Leopard. It just doesn't feel right.

Then there is the typical lazy a-hole American portion of it. They just want to buy what TV tells them is cool, not do any research, and then not have to maintain it ever, and expect it to do everything under the sun for them. Between that, and the unbelievable mentality of the true mac user, it's borderline pathetic.

It all points to the logical conclusion that Mac's should be given to retards and kids. They generally fit the profile of a user base that has no concept of responsibility, upkeep, or common sense. They want shiny and cool, and expect it to always be that way.

And that's even getting into those dumb, ultra smug ass commercials with the Mac and the Windows guy (Justin Long gets a pass though because I like him as an actor). Each one of those ads are so F'ing full of bullshit it's laughable.

Mac's are more fun? How? Until recently you couldn't even play games on them! Who the fuck thinks editing photos and videos are fun, except loser mac doucheboys that live in their parents basements. I could go on and on, but that another point. Idiot brain dead people see that on TV (their god), and fall for it hook, line, and sinker. Am I saying Windows is perfect? God no. Am I saying every single Mac product sucks and every single mac user is a waste of air? Of course not. In fact, the Iphone is the most amazing thing I've ever come across quite frankly. I just don't like the combination of the aforementioned factors.

The spoof ads that were made should have really been used by MS, because at least they are true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0gRgls2eYc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_vV5mZ8Ox8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxQS_3A7_Fc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEAGmBRC1dc

I think this one sums up most of the employees I see at the Mac store

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg1-ywndVNc

But sometimes i do wish it would reduce mac users' smugness.

Yes, because it's Apple users who are the smug ones :rolleyes:

great posts in this thread alone said:
Part of me is happy because of this.

I love macs. They make such good targets for plinking.

Then again we aren't exactly Apples dumb user base.

I was just telling my wife the other day how it's no surprise more and more typical, fat, lazy Americans are going to Mac. It's basically for retards, or something you give to kids.

Back to the meat and potatoes of this article however, I don't see what the fuss is. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the sata driver or the controller. It seems to be the fact that HFS+ has journaling and that this *might* cause a problem. Even the article makes this admission in the third paragraph: If you use a latest-gen, SATA 2.0-spec busting SSD and the drive manufacturer didn't qualify the parts, you might experience some technical difficulties over the course of time - nothing radical, though. Theres plenty of people out there using the non-mac version of the vertex without any issues. But then again, maybe it's easier to sit around and call mac users retards than it is to actually do any research.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=667228&highlight=ocz+vertex
http://blog.gtuhl.com/2009/03/26/ocz-vertex-ssd-in-a-17-santa-rosa-macbook-pro/
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/141006177931/p/1

this is why I hate fanboys

Let me just respond to this, from my Iphone. Oh wait, I wouldn't want to interrupt your video editing, or making a web page showing off your hacky sack collection.

Face it, no matter how hard you want it to be true, no matter how many dumb Hollywood films come out that have characters using a Mac, no matter how many quarters go by with 10,000 users switching to Mac, they're only at what, 6 to 8 percent of the market share. And let's not even look at the numbers in the business world (you know, the economy and what not). Oh, and what OS is sending ships into space, guiding rockets, doing everything pretty much?

Oh wait, if you go to a mac fanboy site, it's 14%. You've got no market share and you're liars to boot.

Mac, they're only at what, 6 to 8 percent of the market share.
I never understood what market share had to do with anything. All things equal, if Windows had .005% market share, would that automatically make it a shitty OS? I can think of a lot of niche OS's that excelled at what they did despite market share, AmigaOS, BeOS, etc...

Oh, and what OS is sending ships into space, guiding rockets, doing everything pretty much?
That would pretty much be QNX.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=qnx++space+shuttle&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ct=result&cd=1&q=qnx+missile+guidance&spell=1

I never understood what market share had to do with anything. All things equal, if Windows had .005% market share, would that automatically make it a shitty OS? I can think of a lot of niche OS's that excelled at what they did despite market share, AmigaOS, BeOS, etc...

You're joking, right? Yes, when you have what amounts to no market share it means your shit sucks.

The ipod/ipod touch owns the market, and iphone is sucking up market share left, right, and center. Why? Because they are amazing (more so the ipod touch and the iphone).

You're not a business major, are you?

Yes, I'll give you that sometimes there is a great product that should be owning but it just gets out marketed, or an undeserved bad rap, but there is no excuse for the Apple, they've been around just as long as MS. Kids, retards, and grown ups who think they are cool but really are just tools/douche bags. THAT, is you're 6 to 8 percent. Oh, and the other couple of percentage points you see when you go to a mac based site are comprised of the smug, a-hole user base.

LOL, did you even click on the first link your first search string brings up, or where you too busy wetting your pants when you saw "space shuttle uses QNX software", and didn't bother to finish the rest of the sentance? Let me help you out: Space Shuttle uses QNX software for camera

There we go...much better. ;)

Last edited:
oh, and I just clicked on your second search string. The first link is an artcile about guidance systems and how they suposedly are used in most guidance systems, but who really knows since you have to be a member and log in to read it! Typical Mac user....lol.

I was right, you typed that shit into google and didn't even click on either of the very first links. You are a Mac user, no doubt.

You're joking, right? Yes, when you have what amounts to no market share it means your shit sucks.
Quote of the year right here ladies and gentleman. Don't let the CEO of Ferrari know that "his shit sucks". Better not tell McIntosh or Krell that "their shit sucks". Yes low market share = shitty product :rolleyes:

You're not a business major, are you?
Well, I do know that Apple made $1.61 billion profit for the first quarter this year off of only 6-8% market share, on an upward trend and higher than what was projected. Whereas MS has nearly a 90% market share and posted a lower than expected profit due to a drop in sales from last year necessitating job cuts. But hey, running a successful business is all about market share rather than profit, right?

I was right, you typed that shit into google and didn't even click on either of the very first links. You are a Mac user, no doubt.
You're apparently not in the aerospace industry are you? Otherwise you would know mission critical systems are controlled by RTOS's. QNX, vxworks RT Linux, not Microsoft Windows. I'm sorry the concept of google is beyond you. You are a PC user, no doubt.

Let me just respond to this, from my Iphone. Oh wait, I wouldn't want to interrupt your video editing, or making a web page showing off your hacky sack collection.

Face it, no matter how hard you want it to be true, no matter how many dumb Hollywood films come out that have characters using a Mac, no matter how many quarters go by with 10,000 users switching to Mac, they're only at what, 6 to 8 percent of the market share. And let's not even look at the numbers in the business world (you know, the economy and what not). Oh, and what OS is sending ships into space, guiding rockets, doing everything pretty much?

Oh wait, if you go to a mac fanboy site, it's 14%. You've got no market share and you're liars to boot.
I really hope you're trolling

Such things will not matter to people using OS which supports only one mouse button becouse adding second is too hard on average user :D

I really hated this huge one button isomething mouse which they forced me to use on my university in one of laboratories :D

You do realize pc!=windows, right?

Back