OCZ Gamestream 850W?

pdinc

Limp Gawd
Is this a good PSU?

Was planning on upgrading my secondary rig, and this looked decent for me to use in my primary/shift that PSU down to my secondary - I've heard good things about OCZ, but recent newegg reviews seems to show a lot of DOA units shipping recently. Thoughts?

not a quality 850W PSU. Decent quality if you want a 600W PSU.

No way I would replace an HX620 with one

Agreed. I dont think it sucks necessarily but Id rather tack on another $10 and get the Corsair TX750W for $110. ( nobody ever gets MIR's back.....at least nobody I know)

Wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. Your HX620 is already a significantly better PSU.

Is this a good PSU?

Was planning on upgrading my secondary rig, and this looked decent for me to use in my primary/shift that PSU down to my secondary - I've heard good things about OCZ, but recent newegg reviews seems to show a lot of DOA units shipping recently. Thoughts?

I agree with Zero82z. That "850W" GameXStream is yet another variation of the troublesome FSP Epsilon platform. Its ripple goes out of spec when pushed beyond 500W. This out-of-spec ripple can cause earlier-than-expected death to your components even if the PSU itself doesn't burn out or die. Your current Corsair HX620 is already a better PSU - but it's already about three years old now, and even the best PSUs of that era have shown some signs of deterioration (for example, in the case of the HX 620, it might not deliver the full 620W today under realistic conditions).

Your current Corsair HX620 is already a better PSU - but it's already about three years old now, and even the best PSUs of that era have shown some signs of deterioration (for example, in the case of the HX 620, it might not deliver the full 620W today under realistic conditions).

You assume that it's been used a lot in that time - it's actually been sitting in the box until a month ago :p

Agreed. I dont think it sucks necessarily but Id rather tack on another $10 and get the Corsair TX750W for $110. ( nobody ever gets MIR's back.....at least nobody I know)

I've received every single MIR back (knock on wood), even when I postmark them on the very last day of eligibility. I've had rebates that were "lost" and still received them by resending in documents. You must make copies of everything, you must read all directions carefully, and if they have it do the express method. Sure you lose a few bucks but you get it back much faster and they get a little money out of it, more incentive for them to actually process your rebate.

I don't know how your buddies send it rebates but if "nobody ever gets MIR's back" then honestly I think they are doing something wrong.

You assume that it's been used a lot in that time - it's actually been sitting in the box until a month ago :p

Yes, I've been assuming that it has been used for some time.

Yes, I've been assuming that it has been used for some time.

Sorry, I didnt intend that to come off as being mean. One of my friends decided to build a computer, but bought all the parts and kept putting them off till the parts got obsolete, so he gave it to me for a pittance. One of those parts was the 620, so it's not seen a lot of use.

As stated the Corsair 620HX is far superior PSU, what are your system specs?

Specs are in my sig.

Intel D975XBX2KR / Intel Q6600 2.4GHz / Scythe Ninja Rev.B
2 GB PC2-5300 Kingston KVR667D2N5/1G / 2 GB PC2-5300 Crucial CT2KIT12864AA667
Corsair HX-620 620W PSU, ATI Reference Radeon 4870x2 2GB, Antec P182
With that 4870 X2 you are fully using your 620HX, but it can handle it, I would have gone a 750HX myself for cooler, quieter operation with more headroom for transients.

A 950TX would be a nice improvement & allow for a second 4870 X2.;)

I actually do have access to a free second 4870x2, but I'd rather get a 5870 instead - would run cooler, and I'd have eyefinity.

I actually do have access to a free second 4870x2, but I'd rather get a 5870 instead - would run cooler, and I'd have eyefinity.
For a pair of 5870's, the choice is the Corsair 850W, but a 750TX will be fine & your 620HX will work.

The Antec Signature 850W, XFX 850W & the 850W Seasonic's would be ideal also.:D

Back