OCZ Apex SSD

Probably not. The "Vertex" like from OCZ is the first series from the that basically doesn't have the JMicron controller issues we've been seeing consistently across multiple brands of SSD hardware. But, the Vertex line isn't out just yet, not sure when it will actually hit the market, but they're talking about it over at the OCZ support forums.

I don't know if this drive will address the stuttering problems of OCZ or not.

What I can tell you is that I bought a OCZ 128 gig SSD and the stuttering was horrible.

When I tried to get a refund from OCZ they refused.

My one suggestion is that whoever you buy the SSD from has a good return policy that is 100% reliable.

Greg

There are a lot of things you can do to alleviate those stutter issues; a poster at the OCZ forums, Tony (Microsoft employee iirc) discovered a way to ensure the stuttering is all but nullified. While that JMicron controller always gets the bad press and hate, you can do some tweaks that will give you damned fine performance from nearly any SSD using those controllers.

The thread about how to alleviate the stuttering is here:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48309

Note that the reason that's been discovered for most of the stuttering is related only to XP 32 bit - Vista and Windows 7 align the partitions when creating/formatting them without issue. Also, the SSD forum over there at:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186

is arguably the best source of decent reliable and practically "Hard"-core SSD discussions. It's all valuable info...

I think Tony is an CZ employee, if we're talking about the same guy. Pretty smart cookie. I'd follow his advice.

I've read that tweak guide before, everything in that guide made sense to me except completely disabling paging in windows. I do not have a SSD to test the tweaks provided, I am just doing as much homework as possible befoe I jump the gun.

I've read that tweak guide before, everything in that guide made sense to me except completely disabling paging in windows. I do not have a SSD to test the tweaks provided, I am just doing as much homework as possible befoe I jump the gun.

The page file is constantly written to / read from by the OS in small random locations throughout it.

So disabling or moving the page file to a standard drive would prevent the random small writes that JMicron controllers choke on.

What really annoys me about this issue is that it is exactly this (small random accesses) that SSD's should be the BEST at and really make performance shine.. And it is this exact thing that these cheap drives have an issue with. It's like a Ferrari having a problem with speed or a bicycle having a problem with fuel economy.. Just so exceedingly stupid that I refuse to get one even if I was paid to do so. I want a SSD but not one that sucks at what it should be best at.

Back