OCZ announces Vertex firmware 1.4 Feature-Set

PHiZ

Limp Gawd
From the OCZ Support forum:
"All i will tell you is the new FW is very stable, comes in 2 flavours...1 with TRIM the other with GC...BUT not together."

The current FW is 1.3, there was a 1.4b that was pulled from testing and download after data corruption bugs were discovered. The new FW might not be called 1.4, it could perhaps be called 1.5 or something else.

This will be a non-destructive flash from 1.3 to 1.4 (not required to reformat). The TRIM version is meant for Windows7, when it starts supporting TRIM. (And Linux, I suppose, if Linux has TRIM support.) The GC version is for RAID, and OS's that do not support TRIM (OSX, Vista, WinXP). When drives start shipping with the new firmware, they will ship with the TRIM version. As more OS's (and RAID hardware) add TRIM support, the dual firmware is planned to be phased out.

Flashing between TRIM and GC firmware will be non-destructive.

It would be cool if the firmware could detect the presence of Windows 7 and if so, enable TRIM...otherwise it would fall back to GC.

But as usual, kudos to OCZ for their level of support for the Vertex. Nice that they're providing two separate firmwares for different users and that flashing between them is non-destructive. Although if someone is running XP or Vista with the GC firmware and moves to 7, they'd probably be formatting anyway. But I can see it benefiting people who choose to do an upgrade install or anyone out there using their Vertex as a non-OS drive.

It would be cool if the firmware could detect the presence of Windows 7 and if so, enable TRIM...otherwise it would fall back to GC.

I'm thinking that that might be more trouble than it is worth, for a couple of reasons but I'm not going to get into it. You highlight an interesting point though, what about people that are dual-booting different OSs?

GC on the Vertex/Agility is said to be OS independant, so worst case scenario is that you'd have GC keeping up the drive performance. In the beta testing of the 1.4 FW, the new agressive GC was cleaning the drives only after 12 minutes or so of idle time.

Jason

Back