OCZ 60 GB Vertex Plus SATA II @amazon $45

plunger

Gawd
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058RECO0

Bad reviews on Amazon and on Newegg though. If you want to chance it, go ahead :p It is also shipping in 1 to 4 weeks. You will see the $44.99 price on the right side.

OCZ Technology 60 GB Vertex Plus Optimized Edition SATA II 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive OCZSSD2-1VTXPL60G

List Price: $88.99 Price: $44.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. You Save: $44.00 (49%)

Usually ships within 1 to 4 weeks.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

oczsb.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I haven't gone through and read all the reviews, but could someone explain why this drive is so cheap and apparently less than desirable?

It's known to be incompatible with the 945 chipset and also possibly the 965, which are pretty farking common.

first gen OCZ ssd.. Need I say more?

Stay away from it. A velociraptor will curb stomp this ssd on any given day. Not to mention, good luck going with ocz and their terrible support. Only their newest SSDs have proven any ground... Their first and second gen were terrible with extremely high failure rate.

Llama[Style];1037782650 said:

Stay away from it. A velociraptor will curb stomp this ssd on any given day. Not to mention, good luck going with ocz and their terrible support. Only their newest SSDs have proven any ground... Their first and second gen were terrible with extremely high failure rate.

It's hardly a first gen SSD, it's the tweaked indilinx barefoot controller, which was second only to the Intel G2 two years ago.

Last edited:
Llama[Style];1037782746 said:
I was speaking in terms of their lineup. I guess my terminology was off, even then, my statement doesn't hold true. They made the onyx before the vertex. Still wouldn't touch ocz unless it was dirt cheap or was the newest gen in their lineup (ocz 3)

I think that's the point though, it's $.75 a gig, which is dirt cheap, plus the indilinx barefoot controller is pretty mature at this point.

Llama[Style];1037782650 said:

It's actually second gen.....it supports trim, gen1 didn't.

However, now that they are on 5th gen, it's kind of old.

I have about 10 of these in the 30/60G range. I've had a 30% failure rate w/in 3 years, FWIW that is pretty high IMHO. Buy one, but keep backups.

Stay away, look at reviews on newegg. Over half say the drive is defective and complete crap.

I'd never run this on my primary machine, but for the price I'm still tempted to give it a shot on a less critical machine.

i think there is an issue with what motherboard this is being used with or just luck. i just bought 2 from newegg last month when they were $49AR (even cheaper now without rebate unfortunately). they are working perfectly on an AMD X4 system with SB850 and a Sandy Bridge system with H67 chipset.

the newer chipsets "may" work better with these but my sample size is only 2 and for only 1 month so who knows :) i got them anyways even with the bad reviews due to the price to use on non-critical machines with scheduled acronis images running.

Back