• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OCZ 520 ADJ SLI Enough?

Docmhz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
420
I've had this PSU going on three years now through several different builds and it has been rock steady. I've noticed lately that it runs a bit hotter and the fans are louder and I'm wondering if I'm approaching the limits of the supply. I am thinking of adding a 9800GTX to replace my 8800GT also.

I have the following:

Q6600 GO stepping @ 3.15ghz
2x1gb Ballistix ram
Seagate 7200.10 hdd
LG DVD RW
8800 GT
680i LT SLI mobo
2 120mm fans
2 80mm fans

Will this psu be enough to power with a 9800GTX in place of the 8800GT?

Thanks
 
I would not do it. If it's running hotter and the fan is louder you're likely loading it too much, and after three years it's not capable of its rated output anymore. The 9800GTX will pull just a little more power than an 8800GT and that might be enough to push it over the edge.

Also, I would not recommend getting a 9800GTX to replace an 8800GT, it isn't that big a step up. I would suggest you wait until the new ATI cards come out later this month / next month and see how they compete, or wait until June / July for Nvidia's new offering.
 
Check out my sig. I'm using that PS with no problems. Voltages are stable and the PS isn't overheating at all.
 
Check out my sig. I'm using that PS with no problems. Voltages are stable and the PS isn't overheating at all.

I've been thinking about running a setup like yours until I drop some cash on a better powersupply. How many hard drives do you have in your setup?

I'm running 4 hard drives in the system with a DVD-RW. I have two 74GB raptors raided a 320GB and 120GB "anime" drive if these 4 hard drives will put me over. I guess there's only one way to find out. Plus I can take out the "anime" hard drive out if it does over tax the psu.
 
I've been thinking about running a setup like yours until I drop some cash on a better powersupply. How many hard drives do you have in your setup?

I'm running 4 hard drives in the system with a DVD-RW. I have two 74GB raptors raided a 320GB and 120GB "anime" drive if these 4 hard drives will put me over. I guess there's only one way to find out. Plus I can take out the "anime" hard drive out if it does over tax the psu.

I'm just running the one Seagate drive and the DVD-RW. I was running with two until recently, the other was a Samsung 160gb. Didn't have any trouble at all. I'm not sure if 2 more would have pushed my PSU over the edge or not.
 
Try blowing any dust or crap out of it? That could account for the running hotter and fans spinning faster.
 
Back
Top