Oculus Touch Controllers Review

Nobody asked, but here's my roomscale Rift setup.

Things aren't to scale but the measurements are correct. The blue area represents the play space. The sensors are represented by red lines, and are pointed at approx. the angle they are facing. The sensor lines are touching the wall they are mounted to. Each sensor is on a wall mount upside down and ~7.5' above the floor. The front two sensors are aimed at the center of the room a few feet in front of the desk, and the rear sensor is pointed closer to the back wall a foot or two behind the focal point of the front two sensors. The front two sensors are pointed ~45 deg. towards the floor, while the rear sensor is more like 60 deg.

The front two sensors are connected to USB3 ports (Realteck PCIe card). The rear cam is USB2. I only experience tracking issues in the bottom right corner (the one without a sensor) in the 2'x2' space surrounding the corner - BUT that only happens when I am holding the Touch controllers in such a way that I am trying to occlude both the rear and front-right camera with my body, which never happened once after hours of roomscale game play.

Attachments

• sensors.jpg
    sensors.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 51
Any good games with free movement as an option? I see a crap load of games for the touch now which is nice.

That turned out to be an issue with the grip trigger release point being set at the wrong end of travel (so you needed to entirely release the grip to 'let go' while jumping rather than just releasing pressure.
I'd actually found that shortly after I posted. Figures.

Word is that the Vive wands' trigger acts much like the one on the Steam Controller and the GameCube pad: there's a physical button that clicks at the end, independent of the analog axis readings you get with most of the trigger's range. The Touch controllers, like most, don't have that, so the analog axis input itself needs to be segmented at the extreme.

Any good games with free movement as an option? I see a crap load of games for the touch now which is nice.
Onward and The Art of Fight are the main examples I can think of. There may be more, but they elude me at the moment.

I'll try out The Solus Project as soon as they implement native Oculus Touch support.

I got the touch set up and it is very easy to use. I can see why you need lots of room. 2 sensors work ok, but I bet 4 would just rock. I have played some of the free stuff to test it out. So far I love it.

HOLY SHEET!!! These controllers are AWESOME. Got the Rift when it first came out, played it for 1 month and have not touched it until I got my Touch Controllers. These things are a game changer. The 2nd sensor works enough for me most of the time unless I turn 180 and occlude my hands but 95% of the time I get no issues at all.

These Controllers are such a natural extension of your hands. You can close your fist, point your index, do a thumbs up. I love how the controllers fit your hand naturally. Whenever in a game that requires teleporting, I always flip the controller upside down and do a SpideyMan wrist flick. It's feels so badass.

I was about to think My Rift would sit collecting dust until another generation came but now with the Touch controllers, this is a whole different beast. Before I thought I would not like standing up and moving around (I'm quite a fatass) But now I can not imagine the experience without these controllers. Some people complain about the removable battery. All I got to say is LOL, say what??? Who cares. The extra weight of the batteries gives it a little more realistic weight especially when holding guns. And they last forever.

You peeps have NO IDEA how satisfying it can be to close your fist in VR. Totally surreal....just to illustrate, when setting up the touch controllers, there is an intro program/game you play where a robot trains you to use your hands. At one point there are a whole bunch of digital butterflies flying around. You have to point your index finger out and lightly place it below a flying butterfly, and it lands on your finger. I was like WTF????? LOL

Last edited:
The best experience I think a noobie can have in seeing the potential of the Touch Controllers is Bullet Train. It's a AAA showcase for VR. Can not wait until Robo Recall is out later this month. Best part.....BOTH are FREE!!!!!

Try Arizona Sunshine. It rocks. Controllers work very well in it. Full movement which is why I got it. It also has the non movement thing.....

Back