OCULUS RIFT DK2 is it worth in 2017? gaming on dk2?

power94

n00b
Hi guys, i have offer to buy oculus rift dk2, is that a smart choice? What i need to know before buying dk2? I have powerful system but it it worth buying it. I hear that is for dk2 no longer support games...can i play standards game with dk2 like gta5 or wildlans or far cry primal and others? Or is it smarter to buy htc vive bcs that is too much...so i need help with that...or i can buy one more gtx 1070...

Last edited:
Depends. Are you buying it to just use it with traditional games as a monitor? I'm sure you can just use it as such .. there's like a secondary app or plugin that lets you configure it as a monitor if it's not natively supported. The issue might be with how you view things, the DK2 only has 960x1080 per eye. These are usually rendered separately and offset (for the 3d effect). If you pass the same image to both eye, your effective resolution is 960x1080.

If you plan to do anything VR related, I'd just save and get a VIVE on sale (they're starting to do $200 off promotions). The DK2 was a dev kit and is behind tech wise to the consumer versions, so your experience with VR based stuff will be better in the newer models (reduced screen door, better optics, motion tracking).

Also, with regards to the extra 1070. Might want to reconsider that. SLI can be a crapshoot. For best experience, a 1080Ti would be better .. the cost of two 1070's is about the cost of a 1080Ti if you can get one.

Last edited:
I had DK1 and DK2. I would wait for Gen 2 of the consumer version for Oculus and Vive. Biggest down side to playing games on the DK2 was things in the distance were really blurry do to the low resolution of the screen. Also reading text in games was really hard or next to impossible to read in the majority of games I played that weren't design from the ground up for VR.

I had DK1 and DK2. I would wait for Gen 2 of the consumer version for Oculus and Vive. Biggest down side to playing games on the DK2 was things in the distance were really blurry do to the low resolution of the screen. Also reading text in games was really hard or next to impossible to read in the majority of games I played that weren't design from the ground up for VR.
Seconded. My experience with the DKII was "I could play for an hour until the eyestrain was too much to bear". Granted, that hour was fantastic (Elite Dangerous was awesome experience) but other non-optimized programs were a letdown.

Back