Oculus Go Explained - Not a Money Maker

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This is an interesting interview with Hugo Barra from Oculus. It is compelling that he explains that Oculus is "not here to make money." Of course the hardware may not be there to make money, but surely Oculus is betting on integration with the Facebook platform where you are the product. And there is not one thing wrong with that, as long as you know it going in. However, if you are thinking that these new VR headsets are "real" VR in the way that [H]'ers think about gaming, even Hugo points out that is not the case by saying, "Oculus Go serves a little bit more of the entry level type of user. Someone who wants to try VR for the first time."

Oculus VR chief Hugo Barra discusses Oculus Go, its new $199 standalone headset, and the future of VR.

They look pretty sweet actually, and wireless VR is way more immersive than being tethered. Still it is pretty much just a phone with a higher res screen strapped to your face, but that is still pretty cool.

I am constantly refurbishing old iphones and andorid devices to then work with cardboard or other head sets so students can go on virtual tours, my only question is do these have access to those same or similar apps because if yes they are a cheaper alternative to what we are currently doing, especially now that I am running out of old phones to fix. And buying used phones to then replace the batteries and maybe the screens to then install into a plastic 3d visor while maybe being $30 cheaper in the end consumes way too much of my time.

They look pretty sweet actually, and wireless VR is way more immersive than being tethered. Still it is pretty much just a phone with a higher res screen strapped to your face, but that is still pretty cool.

Wireless helps but there are many other factors. For a seated experience wireless isn't particularly important. I am interested to see how these improve on phone VR experiences, I've not been that impressed with Samsung Gear VR with my Note 8.

I'm wondering if the streaming movie experience such as Netflix or Vudu is more immersive than watching a regular television or if the novelty of that wears off quickly?

I'm wondering if the streaming movie experience such as Netflix or Vudu is more immersive than watching a regular television or if the novelty of that wears off quickly?

The resolution and quality I don't think is there yet.

google daydream is horrid on pixel xl... looks worse than VHS in most cases. is this any better?

This is the single only reason I would possibly buy this. Lying on the couch or on the bed and just watching Netflix. Marathon a few series?

Watching movies on my bed like this is my only interest. I figure I’ll buy one on Black Friday. By then Plex and other apps will be better updated to support this thing. Also, battery life seems very weak. I assume you can charge it when watching just video though.

Watching movies on my bed like this is my only interest. I figure I’ll buy one on Black Friday. By then Plex and other apps will be better updated to support this thing. Also, battery life seems very weak. I assume you can charge it when watching just video though.

Sure, but then what is the point of being wireless when you are wired to a charger?

Actually, I think this is a crap product and I hope it bombs. Otherwise I will have lost any faith I had in humans ability to get beyond being enslaved to stupid smart phones and Facebook.

Back