OC'n a 9600pro worth anything?

Shinare

Gawd
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
582
I'm getting my 9600pro in the mail tomorrow (knock on wood). After reading many reviews on $150 price range cards, I figured the pro was the best bang for the buck (seen here) . The 9600 XT was only like 5 fps better in most cases and way better than the 5600 ultra.

Well, I was wondering if, once I get the card in, is it going to behoove me to OC the card a little, or should I run it stock? I have the ramsinks from my Tt GF4 cooling kit that I could just peal off and put on the 9600 (the thermal tape is still sticky enough) and I hear that the stock fan is just fine on the ATI's.

Anyway, am I going to see tangable results from the OC or should I be happy with the 9600 and not dream about a 9800 XT?
 
as said in that article the 9600 xt uses the .13 mircon process while the 9600 pro doesn't (oops I mistook what it said, yess the 9600 pro does use the .13 micron, bu the 9600 xt uses other/better technology). Your 9600 pro can be oced to xt speeds if you are lucky, I've heard it been done, I'd say it would benefit you to go ahead and do it.

~Adam
 
Yeah, most 9600's overclock pretty decently and the best part is they run cool even if you overclock them a lot. When you overclock heat isn't the problem with this card, it's just voltage.

Mine:

GPU: 400--->471
Ram: 300--->331

Granted, other people have had better luck, but I think this is a pretty good overclock considering I don't have any mods or anything to it.

I think it gives me like a 5-6% real world performance boost or something.
 
Back
Top