• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OCing with all Ram DIMM full

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
359
Ok so I hear about this really kick ass ram from Patriot from my buddy, He tells me how good this Viper series RAM overclock and I take a look,I like what I see I go a little crazy and instead of just buying one pair I grabbed two for a total of 8GB of ram at 4-4-4-12 timings.... and don't forget the cool green heat sinks!


It has recently occurred to me that i might have a problem running a overclock on all 4 DIMM's,I see there might be complications with this on top of that I don't need all 8GB's. Well now I'm not to sure if this will have a impacted on any overclock I do, any thoughts?
 
I have 4x1gig of Patriot Viper ddr2 800 running at 1000mhz; 5-5-5-16
250 fsb, 14x multiplier X2 6400+BE.
I recon you'll be fine.
 
It will make thing more difficult as far as overclocking ,
I have 4x2GB running at just a hair over 1000Mhz and aq9650 at 3.8.

Anything beyond a 445 FSb i start having troubles but still working on it.

The 8gb over 4 however doesnt really help that much in day to day activities.
Apps seem to load a little faster on 1st launch after reboot, and windows uses more at idle for pre-fetch etc.
And if you have a game minimized doing this on your desktop, the transition to pull the game back up up full screen is much smoother and snappier.
(At least to me)
Depending on what im doing , RAM use could be at 5-6GB at this point.

But most gaming and day to day activies wont really see a huge improvement over 4.

It does have its advantages however depending what you intend to use your pc for as well as the disadvantage of making OCing harder.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top