OC'ing vcore question.

Ripskin

2[H]4U
I have an Athlon 2600 XP and a DFI LanParty NFII UltraB with XMS 512 pc3200 ram. Ive used the proc for a while doing renders and other such things.

When I first put in the processor the bios defaults had it running at 1.67 ghz, I increased the FSB to 133 and the multiplyer to 14 and got it to 1.87 ghz which was fine while I was rendering and busy.

Now I want to get the proc up to speed and then beyond, but I dont know how much to increase the Vcore voltage to get past
1.87. I left the vcore setting to its default (dont know what that is).

If I increase it too much will it damage the board or the proc? Ive maxed out what I can do with just the multiplyer, if I go past 14 it hangs while looking for the memory and takes a while to clear the cmos to get my old settings back.

Anyway thanks for any help if you can provide it.

ya.... first why are you upping the multi so high? I would put the multi at 12 or 13 ... I have a 2500 and am running great overclocks at 11.... instead try uping your fsb i usually run at a 12 multi about a 206 to a 208 fsb but w/ a 11 multi I run about a 230 to 235..... just something to think about. Second depending on your cooling I wouldn't go over about 1.9 to 1.95 if it were my rig even w/ really good water cooling if you have strictly air I wouldn't go much over 1.7 to 1.8 unless you are running some really good air cooling!! also depending on your cooling i would not try my specs jump them down abit and you will still be running over 3200 specs!!!

Thanks,

I have the multiplyer up so high right now because the vcore defaults wont support a higher FSB for some reason.

I have a decent air cooling set up and that will get much better by time I OC above the proc's said speed when I get to that.

Thanks for the information, ill keep below 1.7 and do some tests and see if I can get up to the regular speed. After work today I'll give it a try and hope it works and let you know.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Ripskin
I have an Athlon 2600 XP and a DFI LanParty NFII UltraB with XMS 512 pc3200 ram. Ive used the proc for a while doing renders and other such things.

When I first put in the processor the bios defaults had it running at 1.67 ghz, I increased the FSB to 133 and the multiplyer to 14 and got it to 1.87 ghz which was fine while I was rendering and busy.

Now I want to get the proc up to speed and then beyond, but I dont know how much to increase the Vcore voltage to get past
1.87. I left the vcore setting to its default (dont know what that is).

If I increase it too much will it damage the board or the proc? Ive maxed out what I can do with just the multiplyer, if I go past 14 it hangs while looking for the memory and takes a while to clear the cmos to get my old settings back.

Anyway thanks for any help if you can provide it.

you say you "increased the FSB to 133", what core is your CPU, if it's a barton it should be at 166 by default.

I dont believe its a barton,

The DFI defaulted it to a 100 FSB and read the proc as an Athlon 2000 +

did you remember to turn off thermal throttling i have that problem with that motherboard. it downclocks it i belive its under advanced chipset fetures in the bios just be carefull about temps since the only other protection is the hardcoded 120 C shutdown

my friends new nforce 2 board actually underclocks his chip down as far as the board will allow when an overclock fails .... its some kinda new fail safe b/s that was a total pain when i was first configing it for him

Back