OCing through windows

WhiteGuardian

Limp Gawd
I saw a TigerDirectBlog video about overclocking using the Intel Desktop Control Center, which can overclock through windows very easily. I have a P45 mobo, so apparently it only works on X38/X48s. I was wondering if there are any other programs like this out there since I have never overclocked before, and it would be a good way to start.

You could try ClockGen, although you'd need to find out which PLL your board uses. Your motherboard may have also come with a utility that allows you to overclock through Windows. Ideally though, you should do your overclocking through the BIOS.

there are a couple, clockgen being a good one. a lot of people don't like it but really its nice to find and test your clocks with. however you should use your bios when possible for your fine tuning and setttings.

I have a p5Q Pro P45 mobo from asus, so I thought P45 is still an intel motherboard.

I tried clockgen, version 1.0.5.3 or something like that, the newest one, but it's screwed up and only shows my CPU clock, with no options or anything. I think it's because i'm running vista 64 bit.

Your motherboard should have come with a program called AI Booster or something similar. That program might have software overclocking features.

I have a p5Q Pro P45 mobo from asus, so I thought P45 is still an intel motherboard.

I tried clockgen, version 1.0.5.3 or something like that, the newest one, but it's screwed up and only shows my CPU clock, with no options or anything. I think it's because i'm running vista 64 bit.

You are a little confused...don't worry it's an easy thing to be when you are new to building computers :)

Your motherboard is made by ASUS, but the chipset used on it is made by Intel. If you are confused what a chipset is go here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset

That will explain it in detail...basically ASUS doesn't make any microprocessors at all, that is up to other people. Your board will have several different chips on it, the 2 main ones being what is referred to as the chipset which entails a "Northbridge" chip and a "Southbridge" chip. You will also have a chip for your sound, a chip for an additional SATA controller if your board has more than just the Intel SATA, you may have a chip for one of the NIC's, etc.

All ASUS, and any other motherboard manufacture does is take all those chips and designs a motherboard around them. You will have a suite of programs called AiSuite on the CD that came with your motherboard or you can download it from ASUS. MAke sure you read a good FAQ or sticky here on [H] about overclocking before you jump in the deep end :)

Back