• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

OCing the Prescott 2.8

SilverBack

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 14, 2001
Messages
108
I received 2 different 2.8e's this week with slightly different results, both cpu's came from NewEgg. The 1st cpu would run 3.5Ghz with a small increase in voltage to 1.4625v, default for the 2.8's is 1.3875. This cpu would not clock higher at any other setting, higher voltage, loose ram timings etc. It also ran hot! 48C at idle and 55C at load on this water system.

The second cpu which I'm typing on runs 3.5GHz at default voltage, it also runs rock solid at 3.71 GHz but at a very high voltage of 1.61v. This is a no win situation as the motherboard itself became very hot. Hot enough in fact I lowered the cpu in fear of damaging my motherboard.

My assessment of the current Prescott's:

Don't buy one intending to overclock unless you're using advanced cooling techniques. My best recommendation is to wait until the newer 775 pin cpu's arrive and their corresponding motherboards are available. The kinks of the Prescott systems should be ironed out by then.

I will say that the Prescott was a nice addition to my system after the 2.4C
The Rig it's in
 
My Prescott’s max stability was 3.650 @1.6V but since Abit boards under volt I was around 1.50-1.60 (fluctuates) I think my corsair is maxed and my CPU has more headroom, I will verify this when my new ram comes in or if I do the vdimm mod. My temps are reading 59c idle but that of course is incorrect as my abit board reports bad temps. My real temps are around 48c-52c. This is still high but the current batch of Prescott’s are designed to operate at higher temps than the current northwoods on the market. I have read people running their Prescott’s @80c and with full stability. Intel is supposed to release a core change/new stepping of the Prescott next month that fixes the current leakage that will of course lower temps. If this does infact come out next month then we won’t have to wait for the new chipset(s)/CPU’s. Either way since most of us will convert to the new chipset (in due time) it would be wise to wait the extra month and get the new Chipset/CPU. I will of course get the new Prescott cause I never learn :D Also, some Japanese guy got a current 2.8E stepping 3 (like mine) to 4 GHz on air. Don't know if this is with full stability and or true but you can be the judge. Check the linky and tell me what you guys think! http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=477&s=1

Highest OC obtained @ default voltage (for those that hate upping the vcore, you know who you are) was 3.5GHZ. No matter how much voltage and or bios setting I could not get above 3.650 stable. I tried pretty much every bios possibilty and single channel. The only thing I did not try is using a PCI card.

Edit: Just in case anyone is intrested this was achieved on air with the following:

Cooled with: Alpha Pal 8942 w/6000RPM Tornado
Abit IS7 Rev1.2 with modded NB.
Corsair 2x256MB Rev1.1 Not sure if its bh-5 or bh-6. 5:4@260 FSB 2-3-3-7. Going to get some new ram: Kingston HyperX 3000 (bh-5), some geil 4200 and some low latency OCZ 3700. I'm shooting for the highest 1:1 overclock. GL 2 me!

Im currently looking for better cooling solution. I hope to hit 4GHZ but its not an easy task as some have failed this with extreme cooling. Like always its a crapshoot. Good thing is that most 2.8E are hitting 3.5-3.6 on average. This means that the new steppings will be MOST LIKELY be able to hit 4GHZ with ease.
 
Originally posted by Smooth_Criminal
This means that the new steppings will be MOST LIKELY be able to hit 4GHZ with ease.

I wouldn't roshambo on that.
 
You are right, not 100%. I guess I should have stated as follows: The new Prescotts (2.8E's due out next month) will have a better chance of hittin 4 GHZ due to the current leak fix. I hope that Intel stops shipping the stepping 3 prescotts when these come out cause I don't want to have to go through a gazillion CPU's just to get the new stepping. In that case I'd rather wait. GL to all of you that bought the 2.8E's and please post your results!

For those of you that are intrested and have not read yet: http://developer.intel.com/design/pcn/Processors/ Im surprised that intel admitted it! Well not directly I guess :rolleyes:
 
Main reason they're making the new stepping is so that they can release the 3.4E Prescott. They obviously don't think it can be done with the current stepping power consumption or they would've released it already. Intel says the D-0 steppings will be out in March but it may take retailers another month to get it.
 
Originally posted by DaveX
Main reason they're making the new stepping is so that they can release the 3.4E Prescott. They obviously don't think it can be done with the current stepping power consumption or they would've released it already. Intel says the D-0 steppings will be out in March but it may take retailers another month to get it.

Yes the 3.2E and 3.4E got delayed for the new stepping/core change. I forget where I read but the 2.8E new steppings will start to show up next month OEM only, that is of course if the info is accurate and Intel meets the deadline. Judging from past history they will not but me has my fingers crossed because I know these CPU will be beasts! If they due in fact don't start showing up until march I wonder if Intel will delay the new Chipset(s)/CPU cause there will be no point in getting the new stepping with an April expectance of the newer Prescott’s.

My opinion is based on some reports of current steppings hitting 4 GHZ already. My Prescott is really sensitive to vcore bumps and don't know if this is across the board since I only had one to test.

I'm really tempted to try another motherboard but considering the incompatibility issue I'm going to have to do some research. I want to go Asus but most sites concluded mix results (with Prescott ES). Also, people are reporting Issues with that particular configuration. 3.4E reporting as 2.8E with the newer "Prescott Supported Bios". As I don't have a 3.4E ES I will have to find out if the 2.8E is compatible. If you ask me this is allot of trouble, but I don't mind being the gunipig :D

With that being said what mobo did you test those on SilverBack?
 
Back
Top