OC'ing retail computers

apHytHiaTe

2[H]4U
I recently learned, to my dismay, that most retail computer companies lock computers so that they cannot be overclocked. Companies I have heard of include, HP, Dell, Gateway, etc. I'm either looking to buy or build my first computer, as I need a computer of my own - mostly gaming. I look to spend about $1500 to build one (including all accessories, games, etc.) or around a thousand to buy one. Best Buy has lately had some nice computers by HP that I wouldn't mind settling for instead of building my own. I would probably upgrade memory and graphics with all the money that they give back in rebates. (In my experience, rebates have worked for me.) But if I have to waste a perfectly good motherboard just to overclock, and buy another, that just doesn't appeal to me. So is there any way to get around these "locks" on HP Products?

Specs if bought:
AMD Athlon XP 2800 or 3000 (FSB 333)
512 MB PC2700 RAM (add to or replace)
Integrated Graphics (Replace definitely)
17" Hewlett Packard Monitor

Specs if built:
AMD Athlon XP-Mobile 2400-2600 (FSB 266-will be seriously overclocked)
Abit NF7-S Motherboard
1024 MB PC3200 RAM (Corsair Value Select or Mushkin Value Series CAS 2.5)
9800 Pro/XT (as prices dictate)
19" NEC or Mitsubishi Monitor

As you can see, I would need to mod the retail system a lot to make it "apHytHiaTe apProVeD" but i would at least have something to use until I had customized it enough. I am projecting a finish to the system and mods at about September or October, so prices may go down on some key elements, and it might turn into an Athlon 64 rig. I think I might as well just build it myself and spend a little more, to make it a nice gaming rig. What do you guys think? If it was possible to OC a retail rig by flashing the mobo's BIOS or some kind of simple hack I might consider it more. Maybe I was wrong about the whole lock thing, but I thought I heard that new systems could not be OC'ed.

Thanks in advance and God Bless,

apHytHiaTe

Definately build your own, not only do you get to choose what goes in it (so you KNOW you can overclock it) but you also get the satisfaction of sitting back when you are done building and saying "Yea, I built that!" (or just to get a hot nerd chick in the mood ;) )
Not to mention that OEM computers usually use some amount of proprietary parts, or just cheaper parts that aren't meant for overclocking

Well HP doesnt use propreitary parts anymore, they use a standard ATX mobo and case, and even a standard power supply (usually they are smaller though). Right now HP has some awesome prices for their towers and they come with a warrantee. Most even have AGP slots, and extra PCI slots for later upgrading.The only downfall is no BIOS OCing, and i dont know of any hacked BIOSs for those machines, just thought id give you the HP side of things, so it isnt a one way debate ;)

Thanks guys,

The more I think about it, the worse it sounds to buy a computer. It gives me the shudders when i think about it. :eek:

Well I do know that the Compaq (family computer) I am currently using is not OC friendly... The BIOS is useless, and Clockgen sorta works. I overclocked it to 2.2 once just messing around (its a 2600 tbred) and it froze. LoL :D Also its a MiniATX Motherboard, and I don't like that, and it has only one real case fan. Ew!

So I will probably swing for a home brew computer, which are truly the best.

NO COMPROMISING HERE... except I would like an Athlon 64FX, but that ain't happening soon.

Thanks again, God Bless,

apHytHiaTe

PS. Do you guys like my name?

look out for:
crap motherboard (+ crap onboard sound and graphics)
crap hdds (big but slow)
crap ram (often shared between the mobo and onboard graphics)
no agp slot and hardly any pci
dodgy cases that cause severe bleeding to arms when you open them, with appalling psu

the case should be ok if you get a major brand (not the psu though) and you should get an agp slot these days, maybe a decent 7200rpm/8mb hdd, maybe an nforce2 board but its a safe bet the rest will be disappointing

and there are smaller retailers that build good pcs (in the uk at least) but they still have a tendency to get, say the cheapest nforce2 board they can, and other stuff which wouldnt matter at stock speed but would limit ocing

Why on earth would you pay good money for a retail computer with a tech support that consists of waiting on hold for 40 minutes and then talking to someone that barely speaks English half way around the world?

come on, these people are trained experts, the best the world has to offer

sure youre not just jealous of their knowledge?

and my advice is to get all the tech support numbers before you buy and ring each one to find out which has the best music while you are kept on hold

Time is money, if you have the time build it yourself, but you at least half to way how much you value the time and how much you value the added features of a DOY. HP is building pc's that need very little upkeep and for many Joe-sixpacks that is of more value than the speed bump or features you could get in exchange for having to tweak out the system.

Back