• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OCing oddity

morningreis

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
1,574
I've been having troubles with OCing lately. Specifically RAM dividers.

I reset everything on my computer and had to do a frech reinstall of MCE 2005 the other day. So everything was at stock. Now I know I can get 2300MHz 100% stable using a 10x multi and default HT multiplier. Well I tried it and it works fine. However, beyond this mark, my RAM gets a little shaky. So it's correct to put RAM divider in yes? Well I dropped the HT multiplier to 4x, left the HTT at 230MHz and dropped the RAM divider to 166MHz. Before the RAM was runing at 460MHz effective. After the divider change from 200MHz to 166MHz, the RAM was running at 383MHs effective. No problems right? Wrong. Windows would not boot saying that some file is corrupt.

I drop the RAM divider once more, and I touched no other settings. I dropped it to 133MHz and it works stable again (RAM @ 306 effective). Why is it like that? It will work at 460MHz and 306, but not 383? I'd like to get some clarification on that before I continue. Thanks.
 
Nobody?

When I boot with the RAM divider at 133, Windows of course loads slower, but it works when the processor is at 2300MHz, but beyond that It just becomes unstable. I don't see how I can get beyond 2.3GHz if I'm having these problems with the dividers.
 
Well I can get 2.4GHz easily if I don't touch the RAM divider and just up the CPU voltage a little. But that is beside the point. I know that the CPU can handle 2.3GHz on 1.4V which was what it was at. Now keep in mind that I did not overclock the CPU more than 2.3GHz when I dropped the RAM divider, so there should be no reason for there to be a need for extra voltage. The RAM is actually slower and the CPU speed is the same. So I don't get why I would need more voltage for this situation.

Once I can get it stable at 166MHz divider and 2.3GHz, I will up the CPU speed and voltages accordingly.
 
Sounds like a mobo issue imho. There shouldn't be a reason why you can't use a 166 divider. Why you think messing with the vcore will help i don't know. If you're heart's not content that this problem doesn't require playing with voltages, then at least play with the right one - maybe vdimm?
 
Try bumping vdimm to 2.7-2.75 - this may help things abit. Also, check what ram timings are when you switch ram dividers, iirc some mobos like the neo2 like to auto adjust your timings when you switch mem speeds.
 
Back
Top