OCing 4870 makes absolutly ZERO difference... wtf?

mobusta1

2[H]4U
I OCed my 4870 to the highest possible it would let me in CCC (790/1100 iirc) and ran some benchies. Turns out that I didn't really see any increase in FPS. Shouldn't ocing to the max give at least noticeable increase in FPS? I'm a little confused.

I OCed my 4870 to the highest possible it would let me in CCC (790/1100 iirc) and ran some benchies. Turns out that I didn't really see any increase in FPS. Shouldn't ocing to the max give at least noticeable increase in FPS? I'm a little confused.

Maybe it's throttling?

I flashed mine to Asus TOP bios, running 890 mhz water cooled. I didnt find moving from 750 to 790 to do shit either. Even still, at 890 its prolly just a few FPS but a nice jump in 3dmark vantage and 06.

I flashed mine to Asus TOP bios, running 890 mhz water cooled. I didnt find moving from 750 to 790 to do shit either. Even still, at 890 its prolly just a few FPS but a nice jump in 3dmark vantage and 06.

Are you running 890 on stock volts? If so, that's a damn nice OC :cool:

What is the reason for this? Is it your CPUs bottlenecking?

How would my CPU bottleneck? The rig I'm talking about is my sig rig... e8400 OCed to 3.6.

dnottis- mind tellin me how you got your card up that high? What program are you using?

You tested at the most demaning game you have with max graphics and max res, right?

Are you running 890 on stock volts? If so, that's a damn nice OC :cool:

yea, I dunno I guess I got lucky with this one. Its an Asus, not the TOP model. I have it water cooled with MP-01, flashed to TOP which maxes at 890 mhz core. I can game and bench at 890 without any voltage mods to the card ;) I run it 24/7 @ 850 though.

3dmark06-asus4870flashed.jpg

img0352pc8.jpg

Tested crysis at max rez high settings and didn't see any difference.
I got a maybe a few more in crysis for the min but nothing substantial. Doing a max overclock (within CCC relm) should give me a little bit more no?

I'm afraid not - you're only looking at little over a 5% overclock at 790. Really not enough to make a noticeable difference.

Well at 825 and up on my 4870, I got wonderful driver crashes and freezes in COD4. Actually, same thing with the 9800GX2.

Overclocking may be fun to tinker with, and work great for benchmarks, but may make very little difference in games.

Well at 825 and up on my 4870, I got wonderful driver crashes and freezes in COD4. Actually, same thing with the 9800GX2.

Overclocking may be fun to tinker with, and work great for benchmarks, but may make very little difference in games.

Yeah, Ive fiddled a bit with overclocking GPUs and generally, its not a big deal. a few more fps here and there. Woah ! LOL I get better results from CPUs though

Back