OCing 3700 S754 Q's

Im gonna OC this chip here soon....I got the big ass XP-120 HS&F....my question is what type of ram will accomodate this well....my mobo is the Asus K8N-E.....I am looking at using 2gigs of ram...but I was wonderng if it is really necessary to do so? I know that when you start getting into that much ram the ram CAS and all the timings go up. All I do is really game...trying to get ready for Quake4!

Actually, that motherboard will limit you a bit. From what I remember when I had that board, the PCI bus isn't locked. You'll be much better off replacing your motherboard, because you can always run dividers. Consider the DFI.

Edit:
Yes and no. Hexus' review clarifies:
The big question on everyone's lips is "does the K8N-E lock the PCI bus". Well not quite it seems, but the on-chip SATA and Sil3114 controllers are both driven by separate PLL timing circuits, clocking them independantly of the CPU and memory controller. Hurrah!

With AGP also lockable, the main basic components of a hassle-free overclocking experience are present and correct. The graphics card and hard disks can be kept happy while you push the limits of your CPU and its onboard memory controller.
Personally, on the test board, I was able to drive a Model 3400+ processor to 10 x 250 using software, in Windows, without any problems at all, my limit being my memory modules (not much range in them around DDR500 at the meagre 2.7V Vdimm max).
With not much voltage available, and a complete lack of peripheral support in overclocking, you'll be much better off with a different board.

Back