OC'ed AA8XE and the phantom SATA

AuxNuke

Gawd
Hello All. I've been playing with some of the memory multiplier settings on the AA8XE and have run into an odd issue.

System is in my signature. The bios version is the latest (Bios 22, 3/28.05).

- 250fsb, DDR set at 533 = 667 mem clock: Boots and works flawlessly @ 4ghz
- 250fsb, DDR set at 600 = 750 mem clock: Boots / Posts perfect yet it wont pick up my SATA Raptor. It picks up my DVD+RW and Other IDE hard drive, just not the Raptor.

Does this have something to do with the fact that I use AHCI for the SATA devices or is it just a fluke in the system?

Thank you all in advance,
~Aux

well im no expert but since nobody has answered yet...

I have an is7 mobo and recently got an SATA HD. The board wouldn;t see the SATA drive either. It was because I was overclocking my AGP/PCI frequency. For my is7 and alot of other abit boards the AGP/PCI setting must be set to fixed at 66/33. If the AGP/PCI setting is set to auto or By SPD or whatever they call it in the BIOS it will mess with SATA. OC'ed PCI and SATA don't mix. Since you are using a PCI express board I really don't know what to say other than maybe this expirience with lead you in the right direction....

good luck

xplastic: Thank you for your response. I checked over the PCI settings just to make sure they were locked. Weird that the system posts witrh no problem and then doesnt pick up that drive!

Anyone else have some ideas?

~Aux

Hey Aux,

My mobo posted too and booted (I was using my SATA HD as a storage drive only).
I forgot to mention...I didn't just mean fixed pci settings i meant stock from the factory settings but set to fixed...it may just be one setting or a couple you have overclocked. Also for me if I try to overclock my ram or even loosen the timings...bye bye sata.
Memory has to be set to BY SPD for me.

***You should call Abit tech support they have good support and probably have a soulution for you.***

Abit Tech support told me to do this for my IS7 board.

With the computer off and unplugged from the wall for like 20 seconds...
Clear the CMOS with the jumper
Let the jumper sit in the clear position for about 1 minute
Replace the jumper to its original position
Plug the cord back into the wall.
Turn the computer on

The mobo stopped the post with a message...
I hit DEL to enter the bios
After that i saw my sata hd.

Then I started OCing again. OCing one setting at a time to find out which one is causing this problem.

I don't know why they made me clear the CMOS, i could have just set default settings but there must be a good reason for this.

I'm NOT recommending you try this as I am totally unfamilliar with the AA8XE ...I'm just letting you know how Abit Tech support got my IS7 to recognize my SATA HD.

xplastic: Thanx again!

I don't actually have a problem getting the BIOS to recognize the SATA hard drive normally or overclocked. Only when the memory multiplier is set to 3:2 (DDR2 600) do I lose my SATA drive. Is it ok to call ABIT support and ask them about the problem even if I tell them that I'm overclocked? I know with most compaines that's not "Officially" supported.

Thanx in advance,
~Aux

Hey!

Well to be honest I didn't even get the chance to tell them I OCed. I think it was like they expected that. I assume thats why the tech support guy had me clear the CMOS and clear out my OCed settings. I would have told him I overclocked. I'm not certain he would have helped if he knew for sure tho, it never came down to that. I would call and just tell him exactly whats going on but don't actually say the word overclocked...heh.

Just say ..when I set the cpu/mem ratio at 3:2 my sata disappears. Or if that spooks you go to the Abit forums to see if others have had the same problem...i'm sure there are others,it's a popular board. BTW---3:2 ratio?? man u must be going for a serious OC!

Im hoping! I've come very close to the ceiling on the CPU itself so I was hoping to get some more speed out of the memory itself.

250 fsb * 3:2 mem divider = 375 x 2 = 750mhz :)

Hopefull the added memory bandwidth will help in feeding the hungry PCI-E bus! I'll post a quick note on the abit forums and see if they come up with anything before calling Abit. Thanks again for your time.

~Aux

*** Issue Revisited *** 10.20.05

After playing Quake 4 for hours yesterday, It got me thinking again about system performance. A lot of time has passed since I asked this question and hopefully the AA8XE has saturated the market a little bit more. Anyone with some experience with this? Thanks in advance!

~Aux

Back