OC'd my Phen II X4 955 B.E...easy?

BioInclined

Limp Gawd
I just decided to OC it because I'm tired of reading about it.
All i did was adjust the multiplier to 17.5 which gives me 3500 MHz(3515.9MHz in CPU-Z) and at 1.344V.
I did not run Intel Burn or any other program, i wasn't planning too. Instead i just ran 3 movies on VLC, iTunes, 2 YouTube vids, and checked my email.
Is there any real reason to run any of the popular load tests other than to see how hot it gets, if i can get it to fail or such?

I have Corsair H50 right now and idle at 37-38*C load about 47*C. I wasn't planning on pushing it anymore until i see if/when i should watch and adjust voltage.
My board is not the greatest to OC on either, Gigabyte MA77OT-UD3P

just run 5 passes on IBT.. but yeah you can definitely go higher on that overclock.. just keep bumping the multiplier and voltage up.. i would definitely shoot for 3.8Ghz but try up to 4Ghz as well. just keep the temps below 70C at full load, closer to 62C and keep the voltage under 1.55v. other then that have at it with the overclock.

definitely want to run prime95, when i OC'd my 2500k i tested for 15 minutes on prime and started up BFBC2 after and BSOD like 15 minutes in.

bah...lol. The BFBC2 got me since i been playing that so much.
I'm guessing, up multiplier and then if it won't post up voltage?
I plan to keep temps below 58*C at full load, i like my CPU cool and if it's a matter of borderline stability and .X GHz then i'll drop down.

EDIT: 5 passes on "Standard" and i was fine. I didn't get above 51*C on any cores either.

Last edited:
I bet you'll get all the way to 3.8 ghz without needing a voltage bump.

Just up a tick on the multiplier, test with core loading application (i like orthos blend) and see if it's stable.

10-15 minutes of that, it goes up another tick, so and on and so forth. Eventually you'll hit the voltage bump wall, for my 955BE it happened to be at 3.8 ghz.

I bumped it up to 1.4v and that let me stretch out to 4.2 ghz, I didn't bump it up more after that since my core temperatures were already in the high 50's under full load. For the final stability test I had Orthos Blend run for 24 hours, once that passed I knew it was a good system.

So far, final point for me will be 3.9 GHz at 55*C full load at stock 1.344V
I got to 3.8 and then desktop only showed for about 10 seconds.
I took voltage to 1.375 posted at 3.8 then 3.9, 4.0 gave me the blue screen.
I went to 3.9 at 1.375v, passed 5 passes on standard at 55*C max
Then 3.9 at 1.344V passed 5 passes as well.

I'm going to go play some BFBC2 now and see if it lasts.
Thanks guys,
I'll push further once i get a new mobo, been eying some AM3+ ones either that or I'll get a really solid AM3 one.

Back