OC'd e6300 cooling

• Thread starter Deleted member 109755
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109755

Alright guys I'm not sure this goes in this section but the cooling section only has "extreme cooling" and "water cooling" subsections...and this is just normal cooling I want to talk about.

Now to it:

Granted, everyone has their own opinion on what HSF (heatsink fan combo) is the best and that's what I'm looking for, recommendations and opinions on what is the best performing HSF on the market...seeing as how I'm at 3.15 Ghz on my intel stock cooler (and i want to go higher) I think i'm going pretty well..but like the parentheses said, I want to go higher...much higher, without doing water...I've been suggested this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134 but I am not sure and newegg customer reviews are not worth the database space their text is stored in...I am not worried about money or noise, as long as either are not absolutely absurd but size is probably a concern. My system specs are in my sig, and I'm in a Rosewill ATX Mid-tower....any thoughts guys?

Thanks!

P.S. I've read all the reviews I can think of but from an overclocking standpoint I really don't know what to choose.
P.S.S. Ease of installation would be a huge plus too, like not having to modify my mobo or even think of taking it out of the case...i'm willing to entertain all ideas though!

better memory you say? this ram kicks ass!

Also will that scythe infinity even fit inside my case? It's enormous by looking at its measurements.

If it kicks ass than you have nothing to worry about.

Are they rated @ 1066mhz?

I assume you use this one? How well does it do for you?

Also is there anything smaller...I don't think that either of those will fit very well.

I'm using a Thermalright Ultra 120 right now and I have to say it works like a dream. I read a lot of reviews before I got it and most said it was a bit (Not much) better than the scythe ninja. I have it in a TT armor and there is about an inch from the top of the HS to the door. The case is about 8.6" wide, so I should think it'll just fit into most cases out there.

The Zalman 9500 will fit into my super lan boy with plenty of space or a similar sized antec case with enough room to have an 80mm fan in the door right above it, so it should fit into just about any mid tower out there. The Ultra 120 may or may not, haven't tried it but I think it would.

I have the non "extreme" one. The extreme is the exact same thing with a different mounting kit. The normal is LGA775 and 939 style. And the extreme is 775 and AM2 instead of the older amd sockets.

Zalman 9700 is great for cooling.. mine is for sale as well. since im going to watercooling setup

$70 shipped.

$70 for something I can get for $60....interesting.

I'm using a Thermalright Ultra 120 right now and I have to say it works like a dream. I read a lot of reviews before I got it and most said it was a bit (Not much) better than the scythe ninja. I have it in a TT armor and there is about an inch from the top of the HS to the door. The case is about 8.6" wide, so I should think it'll just fit into most cases out there.

The Zalman 9500 will fit into my super lan boy with plenty of space or a similar sized antec case with enough room to have an 80mm fan in the door right above it, so it should fit into just about any mid tower out there. The Ultra 120 may or may not, haven't tried it but I think it would.

Ive read alot of the same about the Thermalright Ultra 120 & Extreme.

Started stock, then got a Zalman 9500 (not too impressed with it), eventually sticking with a Tuniq tower 120 that Im very happy with. The Tuniq is a monster and the Thermalright Ultra 120 / extreme are said to do as well, if not better job than the Tuniq, in a much more compact design.

Id definantly consider the Thermalright Ultra 120 or extreme. But the Zalman just isnt in the same league IMO.

Yeah but that Tuniq tower for one is frickin ENORMOUS...not to mention hard as hell to install...you HAVE to take the mobo out of the case...

Yeah but that Tuniq tower for one is frickin ENORMOUS...not to mention hard as hell to install...you HAVE to take the mobo out of the case...

The Tuniq is a monster ...
Id definantly consider the Thermalright Ultra 120 or extreme.

Agreed, its huge, but it does the job and it was cake to install.

Btw, "...you HAVE to take the mobo out of the case.."?

Who said anything about a case?

Cases are overrated.:p

lol i guess so, but i really don't want to take that thing out of the case...it was a pain in the ass to get in there :/ How much higher of a clock do you REALLY think i might possibly get by getting that monster.

I think you're pretty much going to need to take the mb out to mount any one of the HSF's you've talked about. The tower heatpipe models that come with twist lock pins (like the ninja, infinity, TR 90 and 120's) are very hard to get a really good mount with those pins. These large tower type heatsinks have lots of mass and torque and are a PITA to maintain a good mount. Instead of the normal overclocked idle temps of about 110F (or less) I expected, I kept drifting off to 115-121 as one or more pins loosened with on-off cycles and case movement.

I finally went to through-the-board mounts with bolts, washers, springs and nuts from a local hardware store. Just made a world of difference. In particular, the infinity and Tuniq tower certainly hit the range of water cooling temps with improved mounts, though they all seem to do niticeably better. (The TT comes with good mounts, of course) I get idle temps less than 105F with much better oc results. If you have a psupply that has a fan arrangement that sucks air off the cpu cooler, you may also want to consider applying a second fan at right angles to the stock fan to create a push-pull flow, as the stock fan does with a case exhaust fan.

It IS some ag, I guess. But, you end up with a quiet system with great results and just trouble free. But if you just really don't want to take the MB out, the Freezer 7 is light and low enough to get a pretty good mount with pins and with very respectable cooling results.

i had the scythe infinity with modified bolt mounting to have a tighter mount on the cpu, and that was great. Then i switched to the ultra 120 extreme, which is even better, and i can remove it and install it without having to take out the motherboard every time which i couldn't with the infinity.

I prefer the 120 extreme over any hsf's i have tried so far, it dropped my temps 4-5 c over the scythe infinity.

Well if I'm going to have to pull the motherboard out I'm going with the Tuniq tower if it will fit in my case..might as well go with the best if I am going to be forced to take my mobo out...the tuniq looks like a pretty sweet design, heh. But if I get lazy and don't take it out I'll go with the one in my original post.

I'd get one of those watercooling thingy that u don't need to setup. like they are al ready setup for you, you just put the hatsink on the cpu and it works.

Back