• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OC'd E4300 & Vendetta 2 Temperature Questions

MrFoo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 14, 2002
Messages
129
I had a CM GeminII sink with 2 120x20mm Antec tricools on my E4300 at 3.3Ghz at 1.48 max vcore (the board setting is 1.5, actual output is 20mV less on average on my MSI P35 Platinum) I was getting 80C temps with the board open on a box.

I have a 4850 with the Accelero S1 V2 with its own 120mm fan and the northbridge has a Crystal Orb since the board did not come with the heatpipe multichipset cooler. I have zalman ramsinks on the power circuitry adjacent to the cpu socket at the back of the board.

I bought this vendetta 2 cooler a little while ago and some Noctua NT-H1 paste to replace the Arctic Silver Ceramique that I have been using. I totally cleaned the cpu with the 2 part ArcticClean solution and applied the paste using the small bead in the IHS center smoothed and thinned with a plastic card until it covered the IHS..

Now, I had to boost the voltage a touch again to get a max Vcore of 1.512. Now the temperatures oscillate between 70C and 83C, again with an open board. The room temperature is 30C and the idle temp is 46C on the cpu.

All voltages were read with CPU-Z 1.46. All temperatures were read with Speedfan 4.34.
All high temperatures were obtained with Orthos Beta running the Blend option. The second boost in voltage was to get past even one loop on Orthos, currently at 22min as I write from the machine in question.

So, are these temperatures not surprising given the applied voltage? Should I back off the OC due to this temp, as putting it in the case will likely boost the idle temp and thus the load temp?
 
You should try using Core Temp to read your temperatures instead of Speedfan, it should be a little more accurate. Your temps do look very high though. There are three factors I can think of that would cause them to be so high, and those would be your extremely high ambient temperature, the lack of ventilation in the area of your PC(since it's in an open environment instead of a case with fans blowing around it), and your high VCore.

If you can lower your room temperature, I highly suggest you do so. If not, try putting a fan or two blowing across your motherboard to provide some more ventilation in that area. Also, see if you can reduce your voltage a bit and still maintain a stable overclock. If not, you should consider backing down your speeds a little bit so you can stably lower your voltage, and hopefully that will help you get your temps back down to reasonable levels.
 
80c is kinda high... i dont know what the temp should be for your current setup, but i wouldn't run a chip that high.
 
You appear to have hit the point of diminishing returns and capped out the processor.

1.512V is past the danger point for that processor and I even question whether it's necessary.

I'd drop the OC down 100 or 200 MHz and that would allow substantial voltage drops and will save the life of your processor:p

Edit: 80C is processor death zone. You want 60-65C tops.
 
Alrighty, I have backed off the OC to 3.1Ghz and the voltage to 1.368 avg. It appears that it's happy at 40min on blend at a max of 71C. Sounds good?
 
How hot is the heatsink itself? You might not be getting proper contact, always good to check. I assumed the Vendetta 2 would do slightly better than that, given the direct contact it has with the heatpipes.
 
I have my e4300 OC'ed to 3.33ghz at 1.47v. With my Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, I load at about 67C with Small FFTs in Orthos. 71C in blend seems awfully high for a Vendetta 2. BTW, I would try RealTemp. On some e4300's (like mine) Core Temp sets my TJunction wrong at 100C, adding 15C to my temps. RealTemp reads it right at 85C.
 
The Tjunction is a good point. I do not know the actual temperature because of that 15C variance I read about. I have an IR thermometer and I can shoot the base of the heatsink on the edge towards the back of the board. Room temp average based on shooting the walls is 25C after I turned my AC down from 85F (manual thermostat, not digital).

Status IR Coretemp Realtemp Intel TAT
Idle 32 46 31 48
load 39 68 52 66

Do I trust Realtemp over Coretemp? Does Realtemp have the ability to differentiate the correct Tjunc with my chip, which is apparently 85C according to it versus 100C in the other programs?

Rig Airflow Pics

Top fan is intake, back fan is exhaust, CPU fan blows through radiator, vid fan blows into card, fron fan blows into case. All fans are 120mm. The black fans are Antec tricools on High.

2wc4ghj.jpg

2hmj047.jpg

2ah9jid.jpg

nlr88h.jpg
 
Do I trust Realtemp over Coretemp? Does Realtemp have the ability to differentiate the correct Tjunc with my chip, which is apparently 85C according to it versus 100C in the other programs?

Real Temp is better at finding the correct TJmax, yes.
 
It appears that Real Temp is the correct app to use for my L2 Revision Conroe E4300,

See. http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=819608

Post by UncleWebb, the author of RealTemp

The L2 E4300 is where CoreTemp first went wrong. He originally used TjMax=85C which is correct for that processor but users convinced him that the below ambient core temperatures that were being reported were wrong so they convinced him that TjMax was wrong. The only choices back then based on the documentation for mobile core processors was 85C or 100C. They said 85C was wrong so he chose 100C and L2 processors and many others have been reported wrong by CoreTemp and other programs ever since.

My M0 runs very cool and the L2 CPUs aren't much different. By testing a variety of processors, 45nm, 65nm, dual and quad core, early and late revisions you see a very clear pattern develop with these chips and its really not that complicated. The hard part is convincing users that the temps they've been seeing for the last year are wrong, and sometimes very wrong. As far as I know the latest version of CoreTemp 0.99 is still using TjMax=105C for the E8400. This combined with ignoring the trouble these sensors have at idle and my reported temps are off by 18C.

E2200 processors that are using TjMax=100C might have idle temperatures that are out by over 20C.
 
Back
Top