• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OCD about sorting files...

Filtrator

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
199
Don't know if this is the right forum to start this topic but still...

Does anybody else have an OCD with sorting files on their computer?

Audio, Video, Pictures, Documents, Bookmarks, Emails, Software... I MUST have everything in perfect order: perfectly named and organized.

I have to have all of my audio CDs ripped with the sale quality settings... if I download a song, I download all the version from all the known places, then sort through them to find the one with the highest quality, the same with videos.

It takes so much time, I truly admire people who can just throw their files somewhere and be done with it.
 
if I download a song, I download all the version from all the known places, then sort through them to find the one with the highest quality, the same with videos.
Jeeeezus that would get expensive.

I don't do that, but I am OCD about having complete albums and organization. I have a lot of music I got from allofmp3.com when it was easy to make purchases of. Was easy to get full albums. Most of my music lately has come from amazon.com downloads. Very good quality. Then a bunch of CD rips, some of my own, mostly from people I know.

Gotta be at least 160, prefer 192k+.

For organization, yes, very meticulous. Loving the Win7 libraries features.
  1. Any album I get from anywhere, I run through MusicBrainz for uniform tagging with their database.
  2. Then run through MediaMonkey, using addon scripts available to uniformly embed album artwork into every track file.
  3. Then use MediaMonkey scripts to reference last.fm and tag genre.
  4. Run through MixMeisters BPM Analyzer to tag all tracks with BPM (useful for building running, workout playlists)
  5. Then import to iTunes, where it uniformly organizes folders and file-names and easy for sorting and searching and syncing with iPods.
 
The only thing I'm really OCD about is my music collection. I need to have a certain directory structure with complete & correct tags on each and every file. I still organize my pics and documents into their respective folders, but sometimes I don't take the time to name each photo with a descriptive file name or organize them as granularly as they could be. But for some reason I cannot stand having missing tag info, misspelled file names, wrong dates, etc. on my music. That's why it takes me so long to organize it; I go through it with a fine-toothed comb rather than trusting a mass-tagger to do the job right. I don't trust the ones that look up the info and write it to tags to always provide the correct info so I end up looking at the files manually.

It kinda sucks to be this way, because it takes so long to ensure everything is as close to 100% correct as it can be and I tend to put off/not look forward to incorporating new files into my collection. Sort of like if you don't file your bills/receipts for 6 months and then have a big pile to sort through because you didn't do it a little bit at a time. But I can't stand seeing people's music collections with "Track 1.mp3, Track 2.mp3" etc. and mine isn't gonna be like that if I can help it. If a track or album is too obscure to be found through the online lookup, I'll hunt down the track list and meta info and type it all in manually if I have to.
 
The only thing I'm really OCD about is my music collection. I need to have a certain directory structure with complete & correct tags on each and every file. I still organize my pics and documents into their respective folders, but sometimes I don't take the time to name each photo with a descriptive file name or organize them as granularly as they could be. But for some reason I cannot stand having missing tag info, misspelled file names, wrong dates, etc. on my music. That's why it takes me so long to organize it; I go through it with a fine-toothed comb rather than trusting a mass-tagger to do the job right. I don't trust the ones that look up the info and write it to tags to always provide the correct info so I end up looking at the files manually.

It kinda sucks to be this way, because it takes so long to ensure everything is as close to 100% correct as it can be and I tend to put off/not look forward to incorporating new files into my collection. Sort of like if you don't file your bills/receipts for 6 months and then have a big pile to sort through because you didn't do it a little bit at a time. But I can't stand seeing people's music collections with "Track 1.mp3, Track 2.mp3" etc. and mine isn't gonna be like that if I can help it. If a track or album is too obscure to be found through the online lookup, I'll hunt down the track list and meta info and type it all in manually if I have to.
MusicBrainz... saved me mountains of headache.

Occasionally it puts files in wrong albums, but it's easy to check before it does the final tagging/renaming. Drag and drop and then click save button. Try it.
 
Yeah I'm extremely OCD about sorting files. Everything has a main general library folder, then each of those folders have more folders, and so on.

My music files have custom tags in extra normally empty spaces so I can use smart playlists to sort them down to the finest detail.

All my files have to be properly punctuated, etc.

bahahaha it's a mess, well a clean ass mess that is.

The only thing I don't change are the names pics & videos downloaded from the internet (most of the time). This is just to keep from getting duplicates so I don't have to go through with a dup-cleaner often. But of course they are still properly stored in correct folders. Although I usually delete most crap I download after a few months anyway. I like to keep the house clean of junk and clutter.
 
Back
Top