OCCT shows error on stock clocks

ElementBilly

Limp Gawd
I have a gtx 480 that came out of my old alienware that's showing 1 error from a 15 min test in OCCT. All stock clocks at , 1050 voltage 700 core 1401 shader 1848 memory. Should I be worried about this error. Also iv noticed when my card hits 93c it shuts my pc down. I want to sli in the near future and i fear these things may be problems. Any advice?

it showed error when it was in my alienware as well, and i have new psu now and it has error still.

1 year and its still in the time period, but since iv moved the card to another pc it voids the warranty. They will most likely want to get on my pc over the internet and tell me there's nothing wrong. thats only if they still think its an alienware I have the card in.

The temp shutting down thing seems strange, but I don't know that it is unheard of for their to be errors even at stock. There are always going to be some errors, most of which you'll never notice in normal use.

Personally I would check to make sure that your heat sink is mounted properly. That is too hot for a single card. I have noticed that bad cores or overclocked cores usually generate errors within the first 300 frames of OCCT. After that it seems more temperature dependent. I would say your card is just overheating.

I don't think the errors are heat related. As when I run my fans at 100% it makes it through test fine never going above 76c but stills has errors. It only reaches its 93c meltdown if I leave fan on auto which dosent even go above 60% fan, and still 93c is way low for a 480s max temp

Normally, if it were just an error, I would ignore it. But if your system shuts down when it hits 93 degrees, then there's something else up. If its not the PSU, it could be some weird problem with the motherboard, maybe? Maybe it has something to do with some kind of faulty voltage regulation on behalf of the mobo. Don't really hav any facts to support this. Talking out of my ass mostly.

Same issue on alienware mobo and it persist on my gigabyte mobo. I may just give alienware a call and see what happins

Something is wrong. As stated, it could be bad HSF mount/contact or could be bad card. I would pop it back in the Alienware and call them to get it figured out.

I recentley bought an MSI gtx 470, the one from the black friday deal, and I am getting errors at stock clocks with OCCT, also.

thats odd, my stock gtx480 came with 1037 voltage and its 100% stable in OCCT.

i see that your stock gtx480 came with higher voltage and you're getting errors at stock settings, strange.

just out of curiousity, drop it to 1037 voltage and see what happens.

Back