• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Occasionally Clicking Noise

havokator

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 12, 2003
Messages
197
One of my hard drives makes an occasionally clicking noise. It only happens seldomly, like once every 24 hours or less. I am not sure if it is my 2TB WD20EARS or my 2tb Seagate Barracude LP. But one of these drives makes a click and then a sound like a spin up/down. It is hard to describe, but it is a noise I associate with a failing drive. Both drives are brand new and pass SMART fine. Should I be worried about this occasionally noise?
 
Should I be worried about this occasionally noise?

Yes. Assuming you are not hearing a spin up after the drive was spun down because of inactivity.

Although some (older?) drives do momentary spin down / spin back up for temperature recalibrations.

Both drives are brand new and pass SMART fine.

Are you looking at the pass /fail (which in my opinion is useless since a drive will experience data loss before you will see a FAIL) or are you looking at the raw SMART data?
 
Last edited:
Well does the WD20EARS which is the WD Green Series spin down the drive when not in use? Could this spindown/up cause the noise I am hearing?

Basically is the spindown/up on the WD Green series drives audible?

Also, I am looking at the SMART data.
 
Back
Top