• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OC Woes - AMD 3500+

godsfshrmn

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
200
Hello all. I am working on my first OC. Here is what I have:

Asus A8N SLI Premium
AMD 3500+ Venice Core (2.2ghz stock)
2x 512 Corsair value select (I know, I know)
Thermaltake big typhoon cooler

Right now, I have the following:
HTT: 240 mHz
Multiplier: x11
Core Speed: 2640mHz
Voltage: 1.472V
Currently idles at 32C

I upped the RAM to 2.65V and its at 333mHz now.

When I try to run SuperPI I get: "NOT CONVERGENT IN SQR05", which i assume means instability. I upped the ram voltage one step to what it is listed above and no luck. I was getting the same error when the cpu voltage was one step lower also.

Where should I go from here? Up the voltage again? I was looking at 3000+ getting higher core speed than what I have now at 1.5ish V

Thanks
 
Have you read eclipse's guide? :)

Anyway

What is your HTT multi? What is your memory divider? What PSU do you have?

Answer me these 3 and we'll go from there :)

Also you may want to bump the cpu voltage up to 1.5 and see if that improves anything. You're mem clock speed seems high for that RAM so thats why I am curious as to what your mem divider is :)
 
I moved my multi down to 10x and memory divider down to 200mhz. I have a thermaltake 480W psu.

Right now it runs stable (in superPI and prime95). The previous post it was not. My voltage is at 1.5V and HTT at 246 currently, so core speed is 2460mHz. Memory is at 2.6V.

My bios version is 1007. I think version 1009 is out right now, but I'm a bit weary of upgrading because I have read several people having problems POSTing and other things. I can't find the full version changelog for the updates so I don't know if its worth chancing the upgrade. Would it have an effect on OCing?

Here are some SS in CPUZ

cpu.jpg

cpu2.jpg
 
Well by that screen shot you showed you're not running your memory at 200Mhz divider it looks more like 133Mhz divider actually its listed as /15 and your mem is currently running at DDR 333.


My guess is that before you went beyond your memories speed limits :) Anyway you might as well leave your memory where its at now and keep pushin the cpu till you find its limit :) After that find the sweet spot for your memory divider and you'll be good to go!
 
Kinda confused here haha. I have read OC threads on different forums for hours and I still don't really get the gist of the RAM.

I'm going to leave voltage at 1.5V, then increase HTT until unstable correct? Then what would you suggest I do with the RAM? Increase the memclock (aka divider right?). I think some of the terminology has me confused.

I used the nTune program before I started all this and I think it was up to around 2.6ghz, but I did not look at the settings. That was reported in the ai booster program (which has been wrong for me several times)
 
godsfshrmn said:
Kinda confused here haha. I have read OC threads on different forums for hours and I still don't really get the gist of the RAM.

I'm going to leave voltage at 1.5V, then increase HTT until unstable correct? Then what would you suggest I do with the RAM? Increase the memclock (aka divider right?). I think some of the terminology has me confused.

I used the nTune program before I started all this and I think it was up to around 2.6ghz, but I did not look at the settings. That was reported in the ai booster program (which has been wrong for me several times)

Increase the memclock (aka divider right?). <----- Right On :)

Hehe yeah the amd 64s are a little confusing at first.

Yeah I'd leave the voltage at 1.5 then increase the HTT frequency until unstable. Also after 250 Mhz HTT I would drop your HTT mutliplier to 3 that way the frequency will remain at or under 1000 which is a good thing :) for example 300 x 3 = 900 (good) 300 x 4 = 1200 (bad)

Anyway once you have found your cpu limit calculate your divider to get to where you think your mem can operate stable. The math for this is HTT Frequency x CPU Multi / Mem divider. So for example 250 x 9 = 2250 now divide that by your mem divider in your case a 200 Memclock is a 10 divider. So 2250 / 10 = 225 So your mem is running at 225Mhz or DDR 450 :) Hope this helps!!! FYI a 166 memclock is a 11 divider and so on down the line :) 150 = 12 133 = 13 125 = 14 and 100 = 15 I think this is how it runs anyway.


Oh and you can probably get away with 1.55v or 1.6v for that cpu if you think that will help you get your top clock stable.
 
Ah ok that had me confused. In my bios it had ratings from 200mhz up to 800ish. I have not ran memtest for this ram at its current speed but what you posted will help me figure out the rest hopefully :D

One last Q, do you know of a stat program that would show: cpu temp, mb temp, gpu temp, and possibly the fan speeds with a graph of each? I have found programs that use combinations of them, but none that includes them all.
 
well the nvidia ntune software will take care of the temps but if you want to monitor fan speed as well I would suggest Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5) and it can be found at:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

:)

Edit: On second thought MBM5 doesnt monitor GPU temps that I know off but it will get you what you want otherwise. I personally could give 2 shits what my fan speed rpm is and I just use nvidia ntune :)
 
I was just concerned about fan failure :D

Found something odd: I have my vcore set to 1.475V, but in CPUZ it is reported as 1.50 -1.52V (fluxuates). Which one is accurate?
 
I'd trust your mobo sensor I've had some similar issues with cpu-z and my voltages
 
Back
Top