• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OC Q9550 and memory choice...

Mati71

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2008
Messages
141
Alrighty,

I plan on using the Asus P5Q-Pro as the motherboard and will be buying the Q9550 as the processor with the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 with retention bracket as the cooler. I already purchased the Antec P182 for my case and have the Corsair 750TX as the PSU. I have also upgraded the case fans to the Yate Loon's.

Question is:

Will it be likely that I will can OC the Q9550 above 400 Mhz on air (Assuming I bought the ddr2 800) Or, will I be able to hit somewhere between 400 and 533 Mhz with 1066?

I understand the Q9550 runs a little warmer that the C2D, I just want to make an informed decision on my memory purchase.

Thanks.
 
I hit a FSB wall of 400 with my 9450 using an Asus P5EVM-HDMI. It might be just my luck with the CPU cause alot of other people were able to get it beyond 450. I got mine at fry's. I'll avoid them if you can or verify the stepping before you buy.
 
I'm in a similar situation. I'm making my shopping list, and reading your post, wondering why you would want ddr2-6400 with a cpu and board that will run 1333? It can't be the cost of memory, with OCZ reaper pc2-8500 going for $60 bucks a gig or less!
I've decided on 8gig of that (newegg price 210 after MIR) with the Q9550 on a Rampage Formula. I couldn't make up my mind on the Motherboard, but can't go wrong with that one, (and I can remember the name better than a bunch of numbers LOL)
Cooling with air shouldn't be a problem until you get really crazy. Just keep the air moving.
What video card are you planning on using? I'm a diehard nVidia guy that musta died, cause I'm going to a 4870.
Of course, I'm stepping up from an AMD 2500 mobile and nVidia 6800 on an Abit NF7-S, so I'm gonna be in HEAVEN no matter how it runs!!!!
Good Luck!!!!
 
I picked the 4870 because it was cheaper than Nvidia's (plus the reviews everyone gives it).

I guess my main concern is with cooling. After reading quite a few post about the quads running higher temperatures and at a fixed multiplier of 8.5, I would max out around 3.4 Ghz with DDR2 800. From what I've read the Q6600 can be stable at 3.4 Ghz So what can the Q9550 reach on Air Cooling?

Thanks for the tip on the OCZ PC2-8500
 
Back
Top