Hey all,
This is a FYI post, in case someone down the line runs in to the same problem. Well, I'm so happy to have solved it that I just wanted to share too.
I posted my problem to the forums here early this year. Here's my post:
Later this year, the NB fan died, (gotta love the NF7 boards), so I replaced it with a Zalman passive sink. When I removed the old HSF, my overclocking problems became evident!
The base of that heat sink is about the size of the north bridge chip, so that grease is covering maybe a quarter. I'm surprised the board would post, and it probably would not have handled a 3200+.
After the new passive heat sink, (with grease covering the whole chip), was attached, I was able to run at 3200+ rock solid.
Lesson of the day: Just because a board works doesn't mean it doesn't have hidden problems
This is a FYI post, in case someone down the line runs in to the same problem. Well, I'm so happy to have solved it that I just wanted to share too.
I posted my problem to the forums here early this year. Here's my post:
Machine specs:
2500+ (AQZFA0347XPMW)
Abit NF7-S rev. 2
Kingston KVR400X64C25/512 (x2): 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 7 (I think, but not sure on the last one)
9800 Pro (flashed to 9800 XT)
SLK-947 w/ Cooler Master Aero blower
Antec Sonata (stock PSU)
Behavior:
Though locked, the processor seems more or less OK at 3200+. (I think the stepping is actually pretty good.) When I try anything that uses serious system memory (MemTest), I get a crash. Also video apps like 3DMark (any) crash shortly after starting.
Upping the voltage on the CPU (as high as 1.8V), memory (2.8V), AGP (1.6V?) and chipset (as high as the board can go, but don't remember exactly), the system is more stable, but eventually crashes running both apps mentioned above.
Thinking I had a memory issue, I ran the CPU at 400 and the RAM at 333. The system was completely stable in that case with minimal voltage increases, if any. Tried relaxing the timings across the board (3 - 4 - 4 - 8) and the system wouldn't boot. =/ Also tried running the memory is single-channel mode and even taking out one DIMM, to no avail.
Questions:
Is my north bridge having problems or my RAM? My guess is RAM, in which case is there anything I can do short of buying better stuff? Is it worth while to run the CPU at 400 and the RAM at 333? My preliminary benchmarks suggest not.
And what's with my machine not booting with relaxed memory timings?
Thanks for any input you guys/gals might have
Later this year, the NB fan died, (gotta love the NF7 boards), so I replaced it with a Zalman passive sink. When I removed the old HSF, my overclocking problems became evident!
The base of that heat sink is about the size of the north bridge chip, so that grease is covering maybe a quarter. I'm surprised the board would post, and it probably would not have handled a 3200+.
After the new passive heat sink, (with grease covering the whole chip), was attached, I was able to run at 3200+ rock solid.
Lesson of the day: Just because a board works doesn't mean it doesn't have hidden problems