• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OC on an MSI Nforce3 Socket939 board

sabregen

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
19,501
I'm going to be getting a A64 3200+ from a friend of mine (traded parts for parts) to match onto an MSI Nforce3 Socket 939 board. I have already tested the RAM I intend on using (2x512mb Kingston ValueRAM PC3200) up to 235 stable. My test system consisted of the same motherboard, and also a Winchester Core Athlon64 3200. I got the following as my best OC on the FSB (CPU-Z 1.31 Results):

Core Speed - 2115.0 MHz
Multiplier - 9x
HTT - 235.0 MHz
HTT setting - 4x
CPU Voltage - 1.552 v


Anyone think this is way off for a Winchester core on nforce3 board? Stock cooling, as best I can tell, the test CPU seems to have trouble going over 2150 (10x215). Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't 215x10@5xHTT be better than the 235x9@4xHTT? RAM timings were consistant...3-3-3-8@1T. Anyone have any info on what the 3200 Winchesters are capable of, I'd appreciate it. Also, Stepping on test system was DH8-D0, for what it's worth. The CPU I am expecting to use @ home is of unknown stepping @ this point, but is reported to be running 10x225@4xHTT. Is the relatively low OC on the 3200 Winchester a normal thing (around 200MHz?). Thanks in advance guys
 
The letters and numbers on the top of the chip will give some useful info. Winchesters went anywhere from ~100-200mhz overclock to 2.6-2.7 on air, commonly. Check this thread and compare your stepping to whats posted up there.

In any event I would expect you could get more out of your chip. Make sure you have a ram divider on so you take that out of the equation - it's more important to find out how far your chip can go then to keep your memory up to speed. Also, keep your HTT multiplier at 3x for testing - it won't effect your performance at all.
 
Thanks for the info. Turns out that the RAM multiplier was set to 1/1, and the bios is old too, i will update and try tomorrow.
 
NO bad idea if its the MSI k8n ne2 platinum, dont go any higher than the 1.5 bios IMO, ive had least troubles with it...

and yea, thats really low for a winnie, ive taken mine up to 2.7 and it was atleast a bit stable...
 
nah he can go up to the 1.8 bios with the winnie, it did REALLY good for me with that.
 
yes im using a modded 1.8 for san diego chips and it works great...starting with 1.9 they tried to re-write the bios and have hosed it ever since...hit up xs's forums if you want the modded ones, but a winchester should do fine on 1.8 stock.
 
guys, all the help has been great. I dont have a site to host the pic of CPU-Z 1.31 that i'd like to post, so i'll just fill in the info manually. I updated to the new 1B0 BIOS from MSI webpage. Here's what I've reached so far:

System Setup (this is a test system...it's my work computer :D ):
Craptacular 450w Allied ATX power supply
MSI Neo2 Platinum Socket 939 nforce3
2x512MB Kingston ValueRAM running 3-3-3-8@1T
80GB Seagate IDE 7200 RPM 8mb
Nvidia MX4000 64MB AGP8X
onboard sound, ethernet, usb2
CD Burner, DVD-ROM

CPU - Winchester 3200+ (DH8-D0 Revision)
CPU @ 1.504v
Core Speed - 2665.1MHz
Multiplier - x9.0
HTT - 295.0MHz
HT multiplier - 3x

No Spread Spectrum, No Dynamic OC, no Cool n' Quiet. Memspeed set in BIOS @ 133, CPU-Z is reporting actual speed of 189.6MHz. Aggressive timings are off, Dynamic OC is off. All Voltages in BIOS are set to the highest before you get into the red options. CPU VID @ 1.45, CPU @ 5% over VID. This is on stock cooling (AMD HSF, and the NB chipset too). MBM reporting 107F CPU idle temp, 69F case temp.

Guys, thanks for all the help! My hopes of having a helluva system has been restored. Certainly a lot more involved an OC'ing my Barton 2600, or a Celeron 300A! I think with better cooling and a better power supply, I can probably get this CPU to go well over 300FSB, but it really doesn't like trying to boot when the CPU temp is over 118F. Stoopid aluminum finned heatsink and craptacular fan on there just doesn't cut it...but like i said, this is my work machine! Thanks again. Stay [H]ard.
 
Back
Top