• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OC + linux

poddo

2005 [H]orde|Bowl Champion
Joined
May 1, 2005
Messages
464
I have an old Athlon that I'm thinking about Overclocking just for the sake of getting my feet wet in overclocking. (and I've got a [H]ardcore itch for folding...) Problem is that I want to put linux on it (again, just for the sake of getting my feet wet in linux.) Can anyone recomend a version of linux for me to use that would be good for overclocking? (or is there a difference?)


 
it doesn't matter what OS you use...overclocking only has to do with your hardware ;)

have you used linux before? If so, then put on whatever distro you like...if you are new to linux, I would suggest starting with something easy like Fedora, Ubuntu, or even just running Knoppix off of DVD/CD
 
knoppix is what I use at work for troubleshooting stuff. So thats really the only version I'm familiar with. I'd like to get somethign installed instead of booting it from a cd. So I think I'll start with fedora. Thanks for the info!
 
mandrake is great for beginners also, its a pretty bloated distro but very user friendly and runs very as long as your system is at least 1ghz range.
 
one other question I had was what benchmarking programs to use. I ofund alinux version of prime95, but is there a cpu-z version for linux? or anyother software I might need?
 
Back
Top