OC + Hibernation = Black Screen on Resume

Sovereign

2[H]4U
I'm not sure if my i7 2600k is starting to give out (I bought it in 2011) or if some update came through that's causing problems, or something else.

Here's what happens: I use Hibernate instead of Sleep because my RAID array tends to have drives "drop" when I use Sleep/Standby and with 13 drives I don't want to roll that die. In the past few months I've gotten black screens coming out of hibernation.

The only way to recover was a hard reset.

In this situation, pressing the power button results in an instant shutdown. Might as well have pulled the cord or hit the ATX off switch.

Oddly, I watched the whole process once--the monitors turned on, the time was correct (so it wasn't "frozen"). The computer would not respond to input commands. And then all the screens went black. So coming back to a black screen (I'd turn it on, then change clothes to work out as it hosts my Plex server) was denying me that little detail.

If I let Intel manage "turbo" on its own (3.8GHz max) then this doesn't happen. Might be a coincidence but the past 3 times I've successfully resumed from hibernation where before it was probably 1-in-3 that it would work (with overclock).

What settings should I look at? Or is my chip just dying (excuse to buy Ryzen/Intel chip with a price cut)?

its because the cpu goes into low power then when you wake it up the board cant raise the voltage to meet the oc requirement fast enough and the cpu hangs. something like that. that's why ppl usually disable sleep/hibernate on oc'd systems. if it used to work for you then you could try raising the voltage a bit or lower the OC a bit or maybe llc, see if that helps. but yes the bottom line is that the chip or mobo or both are starting to degrade. its normal, its older...

ps: my system wont hibernate/sleep oc'd but works fine stock.

lock PCI-E 3.0 (or Gen3) in BIOS instead of Automatic detection and it will recover without issue from Sleep/hibernation/hybrid hibernation.. it's a somewhat typical issue with PCI-E 3.0 cards, hibernation and sleep states are not issues since ages ago... i have suffered some kinds of similar issues even just "restarting" the machine would result in just a black screen that was also fixed by forcing the mobo to be PCI-E 3.0.

EDIT: damn, well I see you have a 2600K with a P67 board.. so, no PCIE 3.0 there, well.. you may try forcing 2.0 to see if it help. but what pendragon1 said it's correct, specially with such old machines.. nowadays Overclock and power saving features are not an issue, the mentioned issue above i suffered was with my old 3770k+Z77 but that was PCI 3.0 capable platform.

So, juice the LLC in the BIOS (so that it's at max when resuming, not after resume then software tells it to jump)?

maybe. the voltage change is what needs to be addressed. those are the things that affect it so youll have to play with it.

OK thanks, I'll try those things.

Reality makes a liar out of me: After my "final" edit, I got two failed resumes in a row...

TL;DR - Old chip is old.

Ryzen, here we come!

EDIT: So far, one successful resume at 4.2GHz with LLC set to "Ultra High" in the BIOS... Whether that is a fix or a fluke remains to be seen.

EDIT 2: Two (successful resumes from Hibernate @ 4.2GHz)!

EDIT 3: Third successful resume. I'm starting to smell a pattern.

FINAL EDIT: Works well enough that I won't complain if it fizzes out on occasion.

(So for would-be future Googlers, this is looking like a viable solution to the problem.)~

Last edited:
Back