• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OC HD5770 vs. OC HD6850

SonDa5

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
7,437
Only cards I could compare.:D I'm sure those of you with HD5770s wonder how these two cards compare in an over clocked system.

I want to eventually OC the 6850 to at least 1GHZ on the core. Limited voltage control software right now.

System

DFI X58 JR with I7-930@4.2 GHZ
6 GB of G. Skill DDR3 PC3 12800

Cards

Single Sapphire HD5770 flashed to ASUS TOP HD5770

GPUZCPUZHD5770vsHD6850.jpg


Single XFX HD6850

HD6850GPUZ.jpg


Flat view
FronXFXHD6850.jpg


Side View
XFXHD6850.jpg




Synthetic Benchmarks

Driver 10.10c, Heaven, Vantage P, 3dMark2006


HD5770

HD5770OCvsHD6850OCsynthetics.jpg




HD6850

HD6850vsHD5770synthetics.jpg




I'm sure I'll be able to hit 1GHZ on the core of the HD6850 as soon as some voltage control and higher clocks become possible with MSI Afterburner or SaphireTech Trix.



*****I meant to put this thread in the AMD section, would appreciate if mod would move to AMD section*****
 
Last edited:
holy shit, 1200 on the memory means 4.8ghz effective. was that the max the mem could go or did you just stop there? most 6850's have mem specc'd for 1250mhz. also, did you use CCC to OC? im sure you could've got at least 900 out of the core...
 
holy shit, 1200 on the memory means 4.8ghz effective. was that the max the mem could go or did you just stop there? most 6850's have mem specc'd for 1250mhz. also, did you use CCC to OC? im sure you could've got at least 900 out of the core...

The BIOS on this XFX limits the clocks in CCC to 850mhz on the GPU core and 1200 on the memory.

For over clocking the HD6850 all I did was slide the settings as high as possible and it easily completed these benchmarks on the first try. This was an easy over clock with stock voltage.

I'm sure the HD6850 will go faster. :cool:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...black-edition-review-1ghz-world-exclusive/17/


Great card for the money.
 
The BIOS on this XFX limits the clocks in CCC to 850mhz on the GPU core and 1200 on the memory.

For over clocking the HD6850 all I did was slide the settings as high as possible and it easily completed these benchmarks on the first try. This was an easy over clock with stock voltage.

I'm sure the HD6850 will go faster. :cool:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...black-edition-review-1ghz-world-exclusive/17/


Great card for the money.

yeah but doesn't techpowerup's radeon bios editor have compatibility with the 6850? surely you could just keep flashing till you got the right clocks.... or does it limit you in that too?

(i only say this because if you are willing to flash one 5770 to another, then i assume you'd be willing to flash the same bios to a card with different clocks.)
 
yeah but doesn't techpowerup's radeon bios editor have compatibility with the 6850? surely you could just keep flashing till you got the right clocks.... or does it limit you in that too?

(i only say this because if you are willing to flash one 5770 to another, then i assume you'd be willing to flash the same bios to a card with different clocks.)



I just got the card. I'd rather not flash it if I don't have to.
 
yeah but doesn't techpowerup's radeon bios editor have compatibility with the 6850? surely you could just keep flashing till you got the right clocks.... or does it limit you in that too?

(i only say this because if you are willing to flash one 5770 to another, then i assume you'd be willing to flash the same bios to a card with different clocks.)


no reason to really flash bios right now. should be an afterburner update pretty soon. kinda surprised they didnt already have one prepped.
 
Whoa I read the 6850 had good overclocking headroom in reviews, but seeing it in a random retail sample is good news for consumers. Crossfire a pair of these overclocked and you should have 5970 performance for far less money. Thanks
 
Whoa I read the 6850 had good overclocking headroom in reviews, but seeing it in a random retail sample is good news for consumers. Crossfire a pair of these overclocked and you should have 5970 performance for far less money. Thanks



The big challenge for Xfired HD6850s is 1GB GTX 460s in SLI.
 
Extremely impressed witnessing the HD6850 stable at 1GHZ/50000mhz on stock voltage.

:cool:

1GHZHD6850syntheticBenchies.jpg
 
NICE, ups should be delivering mine any minute. Hopefully that ~$20 premium i paid for the XFX 6850 will pay off for me too. I'm also upgrading from a 5770 @1ghz so this really put me at ease. How is the difference in games?
 
SonDa5 question for you. I am in the process of figuring out what I want to go for. 5770 crossfire or if I should go for one of the 6800 cards. What would you recommend? I am playing @ 1680x1050.
 
SonDa5 question for you. I am in the process of figuring out what I want to go for. 5770 crossfire or if I should go for one of the 6800 cards. What would you recommend? I am playing @ 1680x1050.

dumb question but what can't you play at that res with the 5770? esp if you OC the crap out of it
 
dumb question but what can't you play at that res with the 5770? esp if you OC the crap out of it

I play at a lower resolution (1280x1024) with my 5770. Everything is playable, but it's not like you can max everything out and maintain 60 FPS.
 
I play at a lower resolution (1280x1024) with my 5770. Everything is playable, but it's not like you can max everything out and maintain 60 FPS.

like what? you play at 1280 by 1024? you should have everything maxed out. sounds like you have something else wrong
 
SonDa5, how is the fan noise on yours, mine is loud as hell. But it does run at 850/1200 fine. need to try afterburner to see if i can get more.
 
SonDa5 question for you. I am in the process of figuring out what I want to go for. 5770 crossfire or if I should go for one of the 6800 cards. What would you recommend? I am playing @ 1680x1050.

If you are going to buy another HD5770 for Xfire I think you would be just as well off by selling your HD5770 and upgrading to a HD6850. Wouldn't cost as much if you sold your HD5770 and used money towards the HD6850.

Performance wise looks like a single HD6850 over clocked would give a Xfire HD5770 set up a good run for the money. It would be close.
 
SonDa5, how is the fan noise on yours, mine is loud as hell. But it does run at 850/1200 fine. need to try afterburner to see if i can get more.

Doesn't seem as loud to me as the exhaust type heat sinks that have the noisy fans. I wear head sets for audio. My system in general is noisy.
 
dumb question but what can't you play at that res with the 5770? esp if you OC the crap out of it

Just wanting to upgrade. BC2 is a little rough for me as well. I may upgrade to a higher res monitor once the holidays roll around.

If you are going to buy another HD5770 for Xfire I think you would be just as well off by selling your HD5770 and upgrading to a HD6850. Wouldn't cost as much if you sold your HD5770 and used money towards the HD6850.

Performance wise looks like a single HD6850 over clocked would give a Xfire HD5770 set up a good run for the money. It would be close.

Thanks for the feedback. I listed my 5770 on craigslist and I'm hoping to sell it there. If I can get away with it for $50 bucks I don't think it would be bad.
 
like what? you play at 1280 by 1024? you should have everything maxed out. sounds like you have something else wrong

Mass Effect
Portal
Team Fortress 2

Nothing is wrong, it's just not possible to max settings and not dip below 60 fps during intense scenes.
 
This is good for a start. There's one hour of MSI's Kombustor stability test on a Sapphire HD 6850 @ 945|1150 default voltage. Peak load was 68C. That's not bad for pumping out 600+ FPS for an hour. I used 80% fan speed because I didn't want to get screwed by thermals at like 55mins into the test. Tomorrow I am going to try 56% fan speed and see what happens.

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/1968/6850oc.jpg

The card can do general benching @ 960 fine and I suspect it needs more voltage. Guess I'll find out when Afterburner gets updated.

HD 6850 Crossfire @ 960-1010 should put out some darn sweet numbers for the asking price.
 
Last edited:
This is good for a start. There's one hour of MSI's Kombustor stability test on a Sapphire HD 6850 @ 945|1150 default voltage. Peak load was 68C. That's not bad for pumping out 600+ FPS for an hour. I used 80% fan speed because I didn't want to get screwed by thermals at like 55mins into the test. Tomorrow I am going to try 56% fan speed and see what happens.

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/1968/6850oc.jpg

The card can do general benching @ 960 fine and I suspect it needs more voltage. Guess I'll find out when Afterburner gets updated.

HD 6850 Crossfire @ 960-1010 should put out some darn sweet numbers for the asking price.

what do they sound like at that setting? at 65c I doubt you need them that high. but yeah, this def looks like the new value cards for the over clockers. now if there is a hack to enable the other shaders....
 
what do they sound like at that setting? at 65c I doubt you need them that high. but yeah, this def looks like the new value cards for the over clockers. now if there is a hack to enable the other shaders....

What does it sound like @ 80%? Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! It's pretty annoying. At 56% it is a distant low whoosh. Not jarring at all.

There is a rumor going around you may be able to turn a 6850 into a 6870 with a BIOS edit or flash. It's early yet though.
 
What does it sound like @ 80%? Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! It's pretty annoying. At 56% it is a distant low whoosh. Not jarring at all.

There is a rumor going around you may be able to turn a 6850 into a 6870 with a BIOS edit or flash. It's early yet though.

if that happens I may trade out my 5870. that would be a hell of a deal :D
 
if that happens I may trade out my 5870. that would be a hell of a deal :D

If MSI do something like a "Cyclone" or "Lightning" version of the 6970, I will likely jump on that. They would likely; OC well, be relatively quiet and have darn good thermals.
 
there is suppose to be an issue with that game and the 6800. Nvidia wanted it used and AMD didn't. kinda of a ongoing debate I think
 
Back
Top