OC Guide for dummies?

fullvietFX

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys I wanted to OC my 9900K. The last time I overclocked anything was my 2600K to 5GHz. I remember that being much easier though, I think I literally changed the voltage to 1.4V and then the multiplier to 50 I believe. This 9900K seems a little more complicated. Anybody have a easy to follow guide I could use? More interested in OCing my memory. I bought a 4000MHZ set but I think it's running at 2333MHZ.

Memory OC - Find and activate the XMP settings in your BIOS and see if you're good. If it's not stable, enable XMP AND THEN (not after) manually set the memory speed down to maybe 3600 or 3800. 4000 may be a little too high for many chips I think.

CPU OC should still be largely similar to the 2600K except for the 9900K, you're limited more by heat as a product of voltage. There is now an AVX offset in which the CPU can downclock itself when running very intensive AVX instructions.

IE CPU multiplier of 50 but with -3 avx offset will run 5ghz normally but at 4.7ghz when there are a lot of avx instructions.

I'm not sure about the 'safe' voltage range for the 9900K -- you'll need to do a little research. Also, these chips are clocked very close to maximum out of the box. I guess 5.1 or 5.2ghz should be the absolute limit for these chips.

Back