OC failed months out?

strikeout

[H]ard|Gawd
So I usually run the standard software OC from Asus 24/7. Today after a few months I got my first hard lock up. It would not boot or even go into bios. I cleared the CMOS and the prompt told me my OC had failed. I reverted to stock in the BIOS and got it running again.

Any Ideas on whats failing? Before I got it running I did see post codes 79 and 25. I want to run the OC again but I don't want to do too many hard resets on my SSD.

I'm lazy..what do those codes stand for?

I don't like software OC'ing. Makes me feel dirty. I prefer to only use BIOS.

Well, 79 deals with booting and 25 deals with memory. I got it to boot up at stock settings but now I am back to where I was. It seems like its goes to sleep, keyboard lights on, case fans spinning etc, but It wont respond. All I get is a black screen but my monitor still detects a signal from my gpu.

So many things... wrong RAM settings, bad RAM, Bad PS, Bad MB, Bad CPU. Maybe even Bad video card. Have to start swapping parts if you have any. Put an old GPU in and see what happens. Yank all the ram cept 1 stick and see what happens. Flash the BIOS if a new one is available.

I need a free breakfast!!!

It happens. Sometimes you're pushing something a bit past where it's happy and it won't let you know for weeks or months.

You need to go back through the process of working each component out to it's top speed to figure out what isn't happy. You've a bunch of fine tuning and stability testing ahead of you.

Pretend it's all brand new. Start by figuring out the top end of where your CPU is stable. Then find out how fast your RAM can go, then tighten the latency settings. You know the drill...

If you can adjust the settings in the O/C profile, just drop them by like 10% or something. Check to make sure your box isn't filled with dust/debris and that your components are getting good airflow. Start monitoring the temps if possible.

Everything is running stock now. It still won't come out of this weird sleep mode now. I have to keep pressing reset on the case to have it work again. I even tried to do a full power down before going to bed. On start up, it still hung on A0. I had to use the reset and then it worked fine.

Back