OC fail or Vista64 is a peice of crap?

robothunter

Limp Gawd
I have an e8400, Abit ip35 PRO (Beta 16 BIOS), 4Gig of RAM and I am running Vista x64. With 436MHz FSB and a Vcore set in the BIOS at 1.295v OCCT shows my system as stable. Orthos doesn't give me an error but the program crashes after an hour or so. Adding more voltage doesn't seem to help. Does this indicate that my overclock is unstable or that Orthos is unstable in Vista 64?

good question.. my OC also became unstable only when I switched from XP64 to Vista 64... it mght have to do with prefetch in that Vista uses your ram much more heavily than XP. Maybe it affects your processor too..

I have an e8400, Abit ip35 PRO (Beta 16 BIOS), 4Gig of RAM and I am running Vista x64. With 436MHz FSB and a Vcore set in the BIOS at 1.295v OCCT shows my system as stable. Orthos doesn't give me an error but the program crashes after an hour or so. Adding more voltage doesn't seem to help. Does this indicate that my overclock is unstable or that Orthos is unstable in Vista 64?

What are your RAM modules rated at? DDR2-800? Also, are you using 4 x 1GB or 2 x 2GB sticks? Have you tested the RAM?

What are your RAM modules rated at? DDR2-800? Also, are you using 4 x 1GB or 2 x 2GB sticks? Have you tested the RAM?

I'm using Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066 4 x 1GB. I haven't individually tested the RAM. My motherboard BIOS doesn't have a "memory remap feature" that I can find. Will memtest86 be able to test all 4Gig if I boot to it?

I'm using Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066 4 x 1GB. I haven't individually tested the RAM. My motherboard BIOS doesn't have a "memory remap feature" that I can find. Will memtest86 be able to test all 4Gig if I boot to it?

thats interesting, you have identical ram and ram ammount to me...

I ended up bumping the voltage 2 full steps on my ram to get it stable in vista coming from xp.

4GB using 4 modules will stress the mem controller considerably. Try lowering your FSB and run the tests again.

I think it's an OC issue and not a Orthos/Vista.

thats interesting, you have identical ram and ram ammount to me...

I ended up bumping the voltage 2 full steps on my ram to get it stable in vista coming from xp.

Crucial shows that RAM running on 2.2v, which I thought was a little high to begin with, but I set it anyway. My motherboard set it lower when in SPD mode. Did you set it 2 steps above 2.2v?

Memtest86+ will test all 4GB of memory. If you're fairly certain the memory is not the culprit, I would run the test with all four modules installed at stock voltages, timings, and clocks. However, if you throw any errors in Memtest, you'll have to run each stick individually in order to find the offending module.

As someone stated above, loading all four DIMMs has been known to infringe on what would otherwise be a stable overclock. I would run memtest86+ first before you jump to any conclusions. If the RAM passes, start your OC with a slower FSB, or try your current OC with 2 sticks running in dual channel. If it maintains your FSB with only two DIMMs loaded, then its probably the memory controller, and you'll have to keep your OC more conservative if you want to use all four sticks.

You could also try to loosen your timings if none of the above works, but they should run at spec since that's why you bought them.

I had the exact same issue with my overclock when I switched from XP32 to Vista 64. I think it's something about Vista 64 stressing more but I needed to up the voltage on my ram and CPU by a step and it was stable again.

Thanks for the advice. I upped the voltage some more. Orthos has been running for almost 2 hours now. I'm going to wait for it to fail before I reboot and test the memory. I'll let you know what I find.

Running more than 2.2 without an active cooler of some kind on there will fry your chip out like an egg or will decrease the life of it. If you can avoid it, keep away from upping the ram past 2.1 for ddr2.

64-bit will allocate the extra amount of memory that a 32-bit won't so in essence you are handling more ram which could affect stability. This doesn't mean that you up to voltage till you destroy the ram, it just means you have to be more conservative with your oc.

Here is an excerpt from my conversation with Crucial tech support earlier today:

Steve: I had to manually set the voltage to 2.2v. That sounds high is that safe?
Eric : If you don't change the voltage to 2.2 you risk frying the chips because of undervoltage. They are meant to run at 2.2 volts (or even a little higher) Did you also set the timings in your BIOS?

I never heard of "frying RAM because of undervoltage". Windows memory test ran through with no problems and so did memtest86. Since Crucial said "or even a little higher" I decided to up the voltage a little to 2.25v. The RAM is hot so I ran out and bought a fan to blow on it.

I have been running Orthos for 2 1/2 hours and it's stable. Everest is showing core #1 occasionally hitting 66C and core #2 at 55C. Is that too hot for a Wolfdale?

oddly vista 64 hid my ram issues better than xp, xp would act up weird but vista 64 ran without a hitch until the ram completely failed.

check sig to see what I am running now, I dual boot xp/vista, but spend 95% of the time in vista.

It's not possible to damage a RAM from undervolting it. Your OC may fail, but you can't harm anything.

Vista uses memory for caching far more than XP. This increases the load on the memory controller, add 4 sticks instead of 2 and it get's a bit worse.

I use 8GB (4X2Gb) with a Q6600 on Vista 64 (shuttle SP35P2-Pro) and I need to back down my OC 10-15% (4GB 2 sticks vs 8GB 4 sticks) for the extra RAM. I do run an SMP f@h client 24/7, so I need to be a little less aggressive with OCing anyway.

oddly vista 64 hid my ram issues better than xp, xp would act up weird but vista 64 ran without a hitch until the ram completely failed.

check sig to see what I am running now, I dual boot xp/vista, but spend 95% of the time in vista.

i get the same thing. my ram (g.skill pc8000 2 x 2gb) runs perfectly until 1100mhz, and then i cant even boot into vista 64, at any voltage/timings.

I notices a 4-5c difference in my NB temps with 4 sticks. I assumed that was part of the reason for lower OCs. I have no proof of that and really didn't care enough to pursue it further, but it probably has some bearing.

Back