• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

OC CPU or faster RAM?

xappie

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
1,378
Hi all

I am currently running my x2 at a modest 100Mhz OC at 2.3GHz. Because I have 4 x 512MB ram modules, I can not run the ram at full DDR400 speed so it is running at DDR354 right now.

I am considering replacing this ram with 2 x 1GB sticks, so that I can run it at full 400 speeds, but if I do this I might have to put my CPU back to stock speeds - unless I can overclock the ram a bit. Assuming that I CAN'T OC the ram, will I still see any increase in performance going from 350-400MHz on the ram, but losing 100MHz on the CPU???

The RAM I would be getting is OCZ EL PC-3200 Platinum CL 2-3-2-5 in 2x1GB Modules.
 
with the amd processor you have, cpu speed will be more beneficial than ram.
stick with the faster cpu OC

you can always put the ram on a divider and have it running at 200mhz...but that all depends on how much you overclock your cpu.
have u tried o/cing your processor more than just 100mhz? you should be able to get 400-500 mhz o/c out of that processor
 
Haste266 said:
with the amd processor you have, cpu speed will be more beneficial than ram.
stick with the faster cpu OC

you can always put the ram on a divider and have it running at 200mhz...but that all depends on how much you overclock your cpu.
have u tried o/cing your processor more than just 100mhz? you should be able to get 400-500 mhz o/c out of that processor

QFT.
 
Back
Top