OC Conroe what RAM?

RipperMac

Limp Gawd
Since all forms of Conroe discussions are happening in here I decided to post here :rolleyes:
I intend to oc a 6300 or 6400 on a P5W DH Deluxe and am hella confused on DDR2 RAM..I see prices from $180 to almost $500 for what looks like awesome shet...however I would like to keep my RAM cost down since I have to buy a new PCI-E vid card also(so long AGP). Can the experts here give me some links to quality RAM please? I'm leaning towards this model at the egg would this be sufficient to get close to a gig oc on either of these procs? Has anyone used this specific RAM for oc? Thanks for all info...
Rip

I'm just learning about this as well, but I think i can shed a little light on your question:

Ram comes in various "Speeds". These speeds are the RAM is expecting to run at, and can range from 533 Mhz (PC2 4200) to 667 Mhz (PC2 5400) to 800 Mhz (PC2 6400). When overclocking your CPU, you are often upping the FSB speed of the entire computer, forcing your RAM to run at a higher speed.

The price differences you see within a given speed and size are usually related to timing (which is formatted like 5-5-5-15) and are a finer indication of overall RAM performance. True enthusiasts want better timing specs to eek out those extra few frames.

So, if you buy cheaper 447 Mhz RAM and try to overclock, the RAM nay not be able to take it. The RAM you chose above is a good speed for overclocking.

Now, the Voltage also comes into play, but thats a subject I know less about. I'll let the smarter people here talk about it.

I picked up GSKILL 2GB HZ DDR2-6400 for around 236$ on newegg! IT had 20-40$ off, forget which.

Good price, and seems to be the big memory people are using over at Xtremesystems.org, for 3.7ghz overclocks using E6400s on air.

Might be a good choice for you.

To oc effectively you probably want 800-speed ram. Just remember that one half the ram rated speed is effectively your fsb maximum speed, assuming the ideal 1:1 ratio. So 800 lets you go up to 400 fsb, which should be plenty.

Nitebane said:
I picked up GSKILL 2GB HZ DDR2-6400 for around 236$ on newegg! IT had 20-40$ off, forget which.

Good price, and seems to be the big memory people are using over at Xtremesystems.org, for 3.7ghz overclocks using E6400s on air.

Might be a good choice for you.

So which one is it? Removing the $449 and the $149 everything else seems to be within the range of what you posted before and after discount...understand my confusion now? I'll head over to xtreme and see whats being used..thanks for the info though..

Yup , sorry was out for the weekend. Ya, that memory linked at 236$ is what I bought, its the 2GB HZ Series.

Specifications
Model Brand
F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ G.SKILL

Type
240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

Tech Spec
Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 4
Timing 4-4-4-12
Voltage 2.0V-2.1V
ECC No
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
Heat Spreader Yes

Warranty
Manufacturer Warranty Lifetime

Getting over 400FSB is easy w/ this memory, from what I am reading. It should be here Tommorow, but Im still waiting for my Scythe Infinity from HeatSinkFactory. I ordered it last week around Wed.

I can't build the thing cause even tho Ill have the mb, proc, and memory -- I still need my HSF, and since it reqs the backplate and all that , I don't wanna have to pull the MB out again a day after I put it together.

Must wait till Thurs! ;)

I have the HZ.
Can go to 435 FSB with it....
processor gets hot so I won't run that fast but memory is great so far.
Memtest showed no errors after 3 full loops

sparks

I got my ram from fry's/outpost for 199 - 50 Mail in Rebate on the OCZ platinum 2 -1GB ram. The timing is 4-5-4-15, but at $165 after tax and MIR I think that's a great deal. I was able to OC my E6400 with DS3 from a 2.1 to a 3.2 at stable speeds with Air cool on my Asus Silent Square. idle at 32C and load at 44C

Note : You won't be able to boot the mobo with these ram, you'll need to use a crappy ram and up the voltage from 1.8 default to 2.1 volts for the system to run. I have the latest Mobo Bios f4c and its running great so far. good luck to other.

I would go with the that g. skill. Although I don't have any personal experience with it (yet :)), that's what I ordered for my conroe. On xtremesystems people have been doing very well with it.

Edit: Terra - from what I've read looser timings don't mean that much for intel

endollan said:
Note : You won't be able to boot the mobo with these ram, you'll need to use a crappy ram and up the voltage from 1.8 default to 2.1 volts for the system to run. I have the latest Mobo Bios f4c and its running great so far. good luck to other.

I'm concerned about high voltage RAM also thats why I'm leaning toward the CORSAIR RAM @ 1.9 with looser timings vice the GSkill with slightly tighter timings @ 2.0-2.1volts
...to buy crappy ram on top of quality RAM will basically put me in the same position as buying more expensive RAM

I been reading around the net and when it comes to the ASUS P5W DH mobo most people are using the Corsair PC6400 and the GSkil PC6400 RAM more than anything else. Which of the two are better? Not sure. I'm looking at both myself for this very board so if anyone can explain the differences better than 'I like" I'd be all ears. I have used Corsair in the past so I feel good about their products. I've never used GSkill RAM but always heard good things about them. I guess go with whichever one is cheaper in price? Cant seem to go wrong with either when it comes to the P5W DH.

Skott said:
I been reading around the net and when it comes to the ASUS P5W DH mobo most people are using the Corsair PC6400 and the GSkil PC6400 RAM more than anything else. Which of the two are better? Not sure. I'm looking at both myself for this very board so if anyone can explain the differences better than 'I like" I'd be all ears. I have used Corsair in the past so I feel good about their products. I've never used GSkill RAM but always heard good things about them. I guess go with whichever one is cheaper in price? Cant seem to go wrong with either when it comes to the P5W DH.

I would get the RAM with the lowest CAS, if you want to O.C.

Back