Obscure new Vista x64 networking issue

Vaporz

n00b
Long story short: after a reboot, something went completely bonkers for 95% of the networking software.

The PC is directly connected to the router by Cat 5. I've had this Vista install working for months.
Vista 32, completely updated, works wonders on this laptop, and so does XP 64 on the PC in question.

The network works, Vista has no problems connecting to the router, I can ping the router & this laptop, I can print over the network (wireless printer), Windows Update works, and a few random apps can get updates from the Internet (Firefox finds updated extensions, but fails to download them).

Most apps, every single game I've tried, and all browsers crash and burn. As long as I'm connected to the network, they crash either right away or upon exit. The event log & sometimes WerFault.exe report software exception 0x0000005 for every single crashing program.

I've tried some fruitless googling, turning of Windows Firewall, diagnose and repair on the network connection reports all dandy, ipconfig /flushdns /renew and /registerdns, rebooting, replugging Cat 5, and undoing the few special things I've been doing for the ~week of uptime: uninstalling a few windows updates, but all the most recent report being installed 10.10.2007 and are inconspicous security & Office updates, and uninstalling the completely new printer.

All I can suspect is some newish hidden or obscure windows update that royally fucked something up. Even safe mode with networking was no go.

I'm really started to run out of options that don't involve one annoying system reinstall.

I remember something about 00000005 errors being related to lack of sufficient integrity levels (what UAC actually manages, not "admin rights"). If that is the case it sounds more like some network component is no longer getting the integrity level it needs, but is not needed for all aspects of network connectivity, just some.

Oddly, (if that is the case) it is also not triggering UAC to ask for it, but that could be because it is not supposed to need to. I would try disabling UAC to get your user account to run with High integrity all the time for testing purposes. See if that changes things. If it doesn't, it may not be your User Account that is trying to run the component, but a system account or something. In that case disabling UAC would do nothing, unfortunately.

I am going to look around to see if I can find the reference to 00000005 being to a lack of a sufficiently high integrity level. Hopefully that doesn't take long.

Good luck!

EDIT: I found it. You can see for yourself, but it is called "System error 5" when I found it. Maybe the same thing.

Try to add a user via non "run as administrator" command line like this:

net users <username> <password for new user> /add

You will get:

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

This error does not happen from an elevated (run as administrator) command prompt. I guess this could be the same exception from your error logs. Not sure.

"The command completed successfully."

Right clicking some programs and running as administrator crashed just the same.

The fact that so many seperate applications are affected, but not all network access for all programs tells me it is a network component that has the problem, not the applications that are trying to use network connectivity.

Again, good luck. I haven't seen any similar issues in my brief search for them.

You haven't tried a "repair" off the Vista install disc, have you? I would think it would be better than a reinstall, and might blow out a corrupted/misconfigured file that is causing the issue. Just a thought.

No, won't that require reinstallation of half the programs (for libraries and such) as well as a lot of reconfiguring? It's more of my last restort

No, won't that require reinstallation of half the programs (for libraries and such) as well as a lot of reconfiguring? It's more of my last restort

Your right, it would with XP. I haven't needed to try it yet with Vista.

I'm just so puzzled why Windows Update, WowAceUpdater (automatical updating of WoW addons, of all things), printing, and pinging are among the few things to work... You would think the entire bloody lot should be borked.

Hmm... Angry IP Scanner just checked one of my ISP's ranges and the local network range just fine, hostnames and latencies, but still crashes just the same on exit. Actually, after trying a few more times, it _doesn't_ crash on exit, shame it's alone in that.

I'm just so puzzled why Windows Update, WowAceUpdater (automatical updating of WoW addons, of all things), printing, and pinging are among the few things to work... You would think the entire bloody lot should be borked.

Hmm... Angry IP Scanner just checked one of my ISP's ranges and the local network range just fine, hostnames and latencies, but still crashes just the same on exit. Actually, after trying a few more times, it _doesn't_ crash on exit, shame it's alone in that.

Yeah, that is weird. I couldn't find another issue quite like it anywhere when I looked.

What about system restore? Do you have it enabled? If you do, maybe try going to an entry from before this started. It might just happen again, but if you were forewarned, you might be able to determine the cause.

No, I've not system restore enabled for years, and this is the first time I regret it.

I'm having the same problems under vista 64, thank god I'm not the only one, I was beginning to think I underclocked my q6600 too low ( don't ask why). Well I can't even boot vista cd to reinstall a fresh copy, not that I want to because I'm hoping for a fix but the vista boot cd wont boot past the loading screen. I can't run any internet apps except internet explorer 64 bit, the regular IE wont even work. Its like if Windows vista us under marshall law or something.

Ok, its fixed, try disabling nod32's internet firewall, somehow its new update prevents you from using the network.

Disabling Internet monitor in NOD32 seems to have had no effect. Same with disabling all the modules or just shutting down NOD32 entirely.

Winsock reset said it worked, "netsh int ip reset" replies with:

"Reseting Echo request, failed.
Access is denied.

Reseting interface, OK!"

A reboot later, and.... everything seems to work :)

Thanks a lot everyone, much appreciated.

If you need to run it again make sure you run as administrator.

Disabling Internet monitor in NOD32 seems to have had no effect. Same with disabling all the modules or just shutting down NOD32 entirely.

Winsock reset said it worked, "netsh int ip reset" replies with:

"Reseting Echo request, failed.
Access is denied.

Reseting interface, OK!"

A reboot later, and.... everything seems to work :)

Thanks a lot everyone, much appreciated.

That is awesome!

Very cool, glad it works. I need to write those down here somewhere...

Ok, its fixed, try disabling nod32's internet firewall, somehow its new update prevents you from using the network.

The n00bie in me has to ask...:eek:.. what exactly is that (nod32's internet firewall) ?
Is that the standard windows firewall I see in Vista 64? :confused:

NOD32 does _not_ have a firewall, he's probably writing about the Imon service which checks and filters Internet traffic for viruses.

Back