Oblivion TC: Mesogea

Citizen86

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I recently started help working on a big project for Oblivion. It's a Total Conversion that has already created a whole new world space. The world space is about 4 times the size of Oblivion's Cyrodiil. Right now there are only 3 cities built, and still need interiors and NPC's, but work is coming along.

It's Earth-based, but in an alternate-type setting. It's supposed to be based about 10,000 years ago, but with sprawling Roman and Greek like cities and people. It's a huge project but one I'm enjoying, and we are constantly looking for new people to help mod if they enjoy it. The project really has the stuff to be quite amazing soon enough.

We are focusing on perhaps releasing in stages. So our first project is going to be trying to get one of the main cities up and running and completed, with quests and dungeons and such around the area completed. We are making good progress although work has slowed in the past few months. That's why I'm working on giving it a jump start.

Here are some Youtube videos and screen shots to spark some interest. So far I've also made a world map for the area which helps immensely when exploring in-game.

That said, I should mention that you can already download a lot of what's been done from TESNexus and Planet Elder Scrolls. It is labeled as a Modder's release, but it contains the entire land mass, and is basically complete. Some work needs to be done here and there, but it is quite awesome what has already been done. A lot has been added over the stock Oblivion as well, like sprawling deserts.

Here is the good stuff:

Mesogea Intro
The Agaria
A quick tour of the main aspects of the Agaria
Illusidum Central

More Youtube Movies

Download at Planet Elder Scrolls
Download at TES NExus (smaller files for easier download)

Screenshots

World Map Download

Enjoy! If anyone has or wants experience modding Oblivion, remember we are actively recruiting and looking for help.

Very impressive! Seeing this makes me want to reinstall Oblivion ASAP!

It really is a great game, especially after you find all the mods you like and get a stable game going... it takes a lot of time though. I really enjoyed the stock game when it came out, but I would never play it stock again

I'm excited for this TC though, as when (if) it gets finished, it is going to be an awesome experience, and really, completely different from the Elder Scrolls.

Impressive indeed.
I'll certainly reinstall Oblivion just for this once I'm done with Fallout 3

Shame though Oblivion have some unresolved issues, such as micro stuttering (Fallout 3 suffering from it too, my fix was to set nvidia's pre-rendered frame to 1) and also constant crashing issues after like 45mins to 1 hour game play, which I can't fix till this day

It can definitely be an unstable game, especially when you start loading mods onto it. You really do have to install slowly and check to make sure the game is stable before loading more.

DL'ing now.

Do you guys have a portal for bug reporting? *EDIT* n/m, found it!

Yep the forums in the 2nd post.

I'll also post what I wrote at another forum, as I think it's the best way to install.

Most people just install the mod on top of their regular oblivion game. I suggest not doing this though if you have hard drive space to spare. I would rename the Data folder to Data_Oblivion or something similar, then create a new Data folder and copy all the Oblivion and Shivering Isles files to the new folder. Then install the Mesogea mod into the new Data folder. Rename the save folder as well. That way it plays more as a TC and you can have your regular oblivion game to switch back to at any time.

Only downside I've found to this is that when you rename your data folder and switch games you have to go to your mod list and re-enable all mods.

If you do install it on top of your Oblivion game though, just make sure the hiboriamain.esm is the second file loaded right after Oblivion.esm, or else it tends to cause graphical anomalies. Hope this helps

4x as big as Oblivion is insane. Fallout 3 was only about a 1/4th size of Oblivion and I was perfectly content with it but now replaying Oblivion with FCOM and Deadly Reflexes installed and it's a competely different experience then vanilla Oblivion. Your mod's going to be massive if you ever complete it.

Edit: I Read you completed much of it. I may have to run though it when I have the time...

looking good!!!
I might reinstall Obly for this one :)

4x as big as Oblivion is insane. Fallout 3 was only about a 1/4th size of Oblivion and I was perfectly content with it but now replaying Oblivion with FCOM and Deadly Reflexes installed and it's a competely different experience then vanilla Oblivion. Your mod's going to be massive if you ever complete it.

Edit: I Read you completed much of it. I may have to run though it when I have the time...

The entire landscape is done for the most part. It needs touch-ups here and there. The difficult part now is populating it. But yeah, it takes a good amount of time to load it all up in either the Construction Set or loading the game. I would say loading the game takes as long or longer than loading Oblivion with 150+ mods. That's just with Oblivion and Mesogea loaded.

We're going to be uploading another release in a day or two, and from there I'm going to focus on the main city and getting the new start set up, along with adding NPC's, quests, and the outlying area. So hopefully sometime soon we can have at least one full and completed city and surrounding area ready for people to enjoy.

Thanks for the encouraging words guys :cool:

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's needed... not sure how much resources have actually come from SI. But you should get it just because it's such an awesome expansion pack ;)

Yeah, I never got it because the main game was so vast, I never finished all of that.

I still haven't gotten very far in the main Oblivion quest to this day *shrug*

To all those who are downloading the mod, REMEMBER to download the World Map plugin, as it's not bundled yet with the mod. but it helps immensely with seeing where you are and how big the world is.

Basically I used the same size map as Cyrodiil in Oblivion, 2048x2048, but when you are running you do actually move very slowly on the map. It's weird to see really.

I would suggest everyone learn some console cheats if they really want to get around. tcl is no clip to fly. Learn to either spawn a fast horse or give yourself a lot of speed and athletics so you can run faster than you usually do. Or else you really will be running for hours....

One thing I'd like to ask, is there a higher system requirement for this mod?

As in, does it comes with very high quality texture and other stuff that may require a lot of memory or graphic card memory (like many high quality texture mods do)

Thanks

There are new textures, but I don't think there are any that are bigger than 1024x1024. So it's nothing like Qarl's Texture Pack 3. If you can run Oblivion you should be able to run around Mesogea without too much problem.

However, we have all noticed that there is some chugging that happens in specific areas in some of the cities. We're not sure exactly why it is, but for the next big release we're planning on moving all cities to their own worldspace, so that should help somewhat with any slowdowns you experience right now.

Remember, this is very much a WIP. Hopefully next week we should have a semi-update with a new area in one of the main cities with some actual NPC's walking around. I'm working on a villa just outside of the city right now and going to add NPC's and possibly a quest or two within it.

So do you need Shivering Isles?

*EDIT*

Nevermind, I see that it does.

Do you have some type of noob guide to installing this? I always seem to bork up my Oblivion installs trying to use the plethora of mods out there and it never works right. I really want to play this mode and don't want to screw anything up. Alot of mods out there seem to assume you know how to install them.

Since it's still just a "modders resource" as in the landscape is done and the cities but no interiors or NPC's, I would sugest following my quote in post 8 of this thread.

Basically if you already have mods installed and you're most likely playing an Oblivion game, it might be easier to make a separate Data folder. That way, you won't screw up your Oblivion game.

Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to install Oblivion and SI fresh and start from there, i'm not worried about losing any existing games.

I'll PM you if I hit a snag.

Thanks again.

It should be pretty easy then if you're doing it fresh. I might still consider making it an OMOD with Oblivion Mod Manager so you can uninstall it easily after... unless you want to try your hand at modding ;)

It's good you are installing fresh, because the .esm file that you load is a little finicky about where it is in the load order. No worries if there is only the Oblivion.esm and hiboriamain.esm (Mesogea file).

Once you get the game loaded up, all you do to get to Mesogea is type in the console "cow hiboria 1,1" and you will be teleported there. If you have the world map installed then you can check out the cities pretty easily.

Looks good! Been a while since I've played Oblivion, looks like I'll have to try playing it again:p

Quick update on this, I'm getting good work done on my villa outside of the city. We're planning on updating the installation files soon with another part of the main city that actually has NPC's around. They still need quests and such though added to them, so there is still a ways to go before we have a really playable version available.

This is basically my first creation with the CS though, and I'm impressed by how relatively easy it is. It takes some getting used to because it doesn't move like any other program I use, Illustrator or Photoshop. But for a freely released program to mod Oblivion, it's pretty awesome.

Here's some screenshots:

Valisarius Statue at Night
Fountain at Night
Small Fountain added, behind Statue

Some daytime shots before I cluttered the area some more:

Garden area
Daytime Waterfall

After this I'm going to place some NPC's and and work up a quest or two. That's going to take some time though because all of it is still very new to me.

I was scrolling through all the fonts on my computer trying to find one for work, and I came across a Herculean type font, I thought it might look good on the world map. Which one do you guys like more? Old version or new one. I had used two different fonts for the first map... the title is different from the landmass names.

Old

New

Back