Oblivion PC performance

Awesome my rig is about the same as yours cept 7900 GTX 710/1850 and a dual core Opteron 165 at 2.5 (1024 L2 cache x 2 compared to your 512 x 2, so I should expect the same :)

You have those new drivers on Nvidia's site so they may make a difference in oblivion, I think anyone with an Nvidia card should pick them up.

Ive also been told oblivion takes advantage of having a Dual core processor, so it will be interesting to see how a single core similarly clocked processor compares to a dual core frame rate wise.

Damn this game is pretty much choking my rig, my native rez is 1920x1200 so that's what I'm trying to stick with. Messed around with the video settings but unless I turn off distant objects completely (which makes the game look pretty crappy) it doesn't make much difference.

OUCH. :(

sakurakana1003 said:
Damn this game is pretty much choking my rig, my native rez is 1920x1200 so that's what I'm trying to stick with. Messed around with the video settings but unless I turn off distant objects completely (which makes the game look pretty crappy) it doesn't make much difference.

what processor / GPU you have?

EDIT: I checked your sig, OUCH is right. Download the new drivers from www.nvidia.com

see if anything changes.

sakurakana1003 said:

Well damn man, at that res, I would expect it would choke your rig. I think resolutions like that are what SLI is intended for. Then again a lot of people on here are claiming pretty good results with 7800 series at 16x12, so maybe those new nvidia drivers tomorrow will help you out :)

I haven't tried to tweek anything yet, but then i don't think I'll need to. Game auto detected and set me to Ultra High Quality (playing at 1024x768). I have a 3700+ SD, 2GB ram, 7800GT. The game is absolutely gorgeous.

Just picked up the collector's edition on my dinner break. Unfortunately I had to go to Best Buy as they were the only ones that had this version in stock. I'm dissapointed in you Gamestop, very dissapointed. Circuit City had them, but no one found it necessary to put them on the shelf. Lazy kids. :rolleyes:

On a side note, does this game require the DVD to be in the drive to play? Stupid question I know, but if it doesnt require a CD-Key then maybe.... just maybe.

There are new Nvidia Drivers on www.nvidia.com that dropped TODAY. Not the ones advertised for oblivion but still might help DOWNLOAD THEM IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS!

84.21 came out a few days ago. 84.25 is supposed to come out tomorrow.

Ehren8879 said:
Just picked up the collector's edition on my dinner break. Unfortunately I had to go to Best Buy as they were the only ones that had this version in stock. I'm dissapointed in you Gamestop, very dissapointed. Circuit City had them, but no one found it necessary to put them on the shelf. Lazy kids. :rolleyes:

On a side note, does this game require the DVD to be in the drive to play? Stupid question I know, but if it doesnt require a CD-Key then maybe.... just maybe.

There's already a no-DVD fix widely available.

Obi_Kwiet said:
REALLY? Alright! I have the exact same spces + 2GB of RAM.

Yeah. It has hiccuped here and there while outside with a lot of grass flowing, but I'm talking about hitting maybe 20-25 for a half second or so. Just a bit of a stutter.

I will be getting my 2GB of G.Skill in tomorrow. I will let you know if it makes a difference in this game.

Something else I noticed is that it seems to run better with HDR than it does with 2x TMSAA.

Jaggies are noticable in certain spots, but don't bother me at all.

I was very much so worried about how it was going to perform, but now I'm like a kid in a candy store. :)

I am getting the game on friday, should I get the drivers none the less if I have problems or not? I have a 6600 GT.

Yea I thought they dropped today, I guess they dropped on the 17th. Oh well. then hopefully the .25's will drop soon :) Its kinda dumb they announce the driver drop the day AFTER the game is released....

Stu55 said:
I am getting the game on friday, should I get the drivers none the less if I have problems or not? I have a 6600 GT.

Please don't take it the wrong way, but honestly, return it and get the xbox360 version. You will have to turn off everything and run it at a low res....it will look like Sega Genesis. If you don't want to upgrade your ring to the latest hardware, xbox360 is a sick deal hardware wise.

kdog said:
Please don't take it the wrong way, but honestly, return it and get the xbox360 version. You will have to turn off everything and run it at a low res....it will look like Sega Genesis. If you don't want to upgrade your ring to the latest hardware, xbox360 is a sick deal hardware wise.

Agreed. Only way PC is beneficial is if you have a really good rig to run it on.

Why is the 360 version 10 dollars more expensive then the PC version?

All next gen console games are 10 dollars more.
There is very logical explanation for it. They lose A TON of money on the hardware, and we get a sick deal on it. This is their way of recouping the loss. That, and the trend of increasing production time and production costs...

On a sidenote, this is an interesting time. This is the first time ever, that I can recall, when the newest bleeding edge hardware has difficulty running the latest games. COD2, FEAR, and most likely Oblivion are great examples. Hell, FarCry came out 2 years ago, and you can get 60fps barely at 16by12 with HDR turned on, everything maxed. I personally think that hardware should be moving forward at a faster speed....anyone agree? Shouldn't they be making games that are actually PLAYABLE on current hardware....? SLI does not count, thats like having 2 computers running one game.

This is making Xbox 360 look good. I mean after all I do have a 60" sitting in the living room being neglected.

P4 3.2C @ 3.6, 1.5GB of RAM, ATI X700 AGP. Fullscreen at any-res, is unplayable because the fucking window border keeps flickering in and out. Windowed is perfect, but have to set the monitor resolution lower. And to that extent, I still suffer frequent drops to <20fps @ 800x600, and 640x480 is just too damn small windowed. Guess I'll wait until I've got a beefier videocard to play this game. Shame too, I was looking forward to this.

Oh, ok, I guess I will sell my custom PC that I made to buy an xbox 360? :confused:

I will be upgrading later...

Buy you still didn't answer my question...

Several people have reported that uninstalling DefilerPak and/or ffdshow gives large performance boost for some reason. Apparently ffdshow runs and leaves a bunch of icons in your system tray while you are playing. Others have reported that setting “bUse Joystick=0” in the .ini file will help as well.

Nvidia has new drivers dropping for Oblivion Tomorrow. As of friday go to nvidia.com and download the newest drivers, that will surely give you the best performance.

Thank you, and FYI my friend who has anAMD AthlonXP 2700+, e-GeForce 6800GS 256mb (AGP), 1gb RAM, Abit NF7, runs with everything almost maxed and always gets over 30 fps. I would much rather play on PC than on console IMO. I will be getting a new graphics card down the line though.

Half hour to go until I can go home and play this. Hope I havent been getting all hyped up over nothing. Something tells me I wont be dissapointed ;)

1024x768 tweaked out performance, at this res i had to do 2xaa instead of HDR because the jaggies were really bad but it looks and runs really good now so i'm happy. Whenever vista comes out and i build a new rig i'll be excited to turn everything up all the way on this puppy.

It runs more smoothly than i hoped so that's good. I'm dissapointed at the no HDR+AA but hopefully they patch it before too long.

Great game so far, but i'm really stuck now, i can't figure out what to do with my vampirism :(

Sabrewulf165 said:
There's already a no-DVD fix widely available.
Woot! Thanks for the heads up. I downloaded it.

I need to see how it looks with FSAA and no HDR later.

No HDR and AA will be permanent on Nvidia Hardware just FYI.

Right now the game wont allow ATI hardware to do both, when the patch comes out it will only fix this issue on ATI's hardware, as Nivdia's was never made to do both at the same time in the first place. :'(

good, although i dont how performance would be w/ both lol. As for the comment above, its a much better engine that FEAR...by far. Runs very nicely and its not buggy at all

OK someone with a dual core processor, 2 gb of ram, and 2 videocards in SLI run FEAR and this game at the same time and benchmark it! Bascially 2 PC's at that point lol.

I'm getting poor framerates, especially in outdoor areas. Low teens, sometimes under ten. No AA and no HDR or Bloom.

3700 San Diego
6800GT
1 Gb RAM

I need to get that second gig installed and update my drivers. After that it's 7900GT time...

with what's in my sig, i'm running oblivion at 1440x900 no aa, no af, and the game detected high settings. i haven't played around with the settings yet, but i'm getting 40fps no problem. i plan on upgrading to 2gb of ram real soon and i plan on getting some better cooling for my cpu and vid card to see how far those can go. other than that, my rig is holding up fine for a s754 and x800 setup.

Running 1280x1024 with HDR and all of the distant rendering gizmos ;) turned on.

Very smooth, played about 2 hrs and it is one of the best looking games I ever played.

I can see alot of sleepless nights and sleepy days at work for this one.

Proposed Rig:

eVga 7600GT
Venice 3000+ (OC'ed of course)
DFI Ultra D
2x512 OCZ RAM

Will it run Okay? I run at 10x7.

Xenozx said:
OK someone with a dual core processor, 2 gb of ram, and 2 videocards in SLI run FEAR and this game at the same time and benchmark it! Bascially 2 PC's at that point lol.

That would put Prime95 and any other "PC stress test" to shame

It's the outdoors with loads of grass and flowers the kill the performance, so if you have great framerate in the beginning dungeon you haven't seen anything yet.

I had the game on 16x12, everything maxed, 8x AA, 16xAF, High Quality mode, no HDR, and I was fine untill I got outside. Then I turned it down to 12x10, 4xAA,8XAF, Quality, no HDR, and it was very responsive.

my comp. meets the recommended specs on the box but my card is just a x800 PRO.

has anyone tried running it on one yet?

i dont want to play it at 800x600, would like to see it at 1024x768 w/ med - high settings no aa/af

Back