Oblivion Lock Picks

DNAlevelC

Gawd
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
810
I know I can get lock picks here and there when wandering the country side killing things. I also got a bunch of them from Armand on my trial for the thieves guild. Where can I buy them after that? I am out and I want a ton of them.

DNA
 
Go out the main gate in Imperial City and take a right. There is a character, "Shady Sam" who sells lockpicks - he hangs out against the outside of the city wall just past the stables.
 
jonneymendoza said:
any tips on how to do the lockpicks cuz their hard
It's really not that hard, I rarely ever break my lockpicks. I'm not sure how exactly to explain it though. I keep tapping up on the tumbler until I can actually SEE it move up slower. Like, you'll hit it and it'll go almost from down to up instantly. I keep tapping it until I can physically see it go up slower, and as soon as it gets to the top I press A. Repeat for the rest of the tumblers. Once you get good you should rarely ever break any lockpicks.
 
there's also a quest to complete when you've reached level 10. the reward is a skeleton lock pick, which is unbreakable
 
For a while I had a terrible time with picking locks. Finally, I came to the realization that I don't have to watch the tumblers--I can listen instead. I was surprised that a lot of guides and FAQs seem to indicate that listening is useless, but I've found it to be the opposite.

Note that I'm on the PC version; I have no clue if this is the same on the Xbox 360.

What I do is this: Tap the tumbler several times to get a feel for what's going on--you'll be listening for differences in the sound the pick makes against the tumbler. There are two different sounds: one is a "tink" and the other is a "tintink" (that's a stupid way of saying it, but without a WAV file or something that's the best you'll get). Essentially the latter sound is a sort of "doubling" of the normal, but not really any different in duration.

Play around with the tumblers and listen closely--you'll hear what I'm talking about.

The key (no pun intended) is to wait until you hear the "tintink" sound. That's the indication that you need to activate the lockpick. Of course, you still need to time it right--wait until the tumbler gets to the top and all--but your chances of getting it to stick are much greater when you do it at that point.

You can still wait to discern a pattern in the sounds; this will, of course, help out. (For example, the pattern might be AAAABAABABAAB or something. Wait until you know you're about to hit a B.)

Now that I've figured out this little tidbit, I can open even Very Hard locks without breaking a pick. Mind you, sometimes I get distracted and break one because I'm anticipating too much, but that's pretty rare.

Good luck!
 
As carl said, the best way to pick locks is to listen for the sounds. I dont even look at the screen because it distracts me. I would describe the sound you are listening for as more of a "tuh tink". If you click a tumbler a few times you will hear what we are talking about. You want to hit A (or whatever it is on PC) as soon as you hear the last "tink" in "tuh tink" finish. If you wait too long you will break the pick. It took me a bit of practice to stop jumping the gun anticipating when the "tuh tink" would come, but after awhile you get the hang of it.
 
Meh, I just kinda stick my pick in there and press the button. With 70 in Security, most every tumbler stays up on my first try. As in, I only tap the tumbler once then press the button without trying to find a patter or anything.
 
Level 2 is anoying. Not only are enemies harder, they actually have less stuff on them. Most of them have no cloths or armor, and and sometimes an iron daggar.
 
Then get to Lvl 20+. I get annoyed by the fact that there is too much good loot for me to carry. But I don't need the money
biggrin.gif
 
thanks for all the great reply's. I didn't expect to get this many. Blakestr: trying to pimp that mod out I see. I am going to look into. I have gotten a lot better with the lockpicks, but at first I was lost and I broke a ton of them. I broke my last one and I didn't know where I could get more. I have a ton of money, killing everything in my path on the countryside and dungeons are great. Now let me ask one more thing. Has anyone tried a controller on the PC? I have a PS2 style Logitech and I was thinkin of giving it a shot. Any ideas?



DNA
 
...just curious, where's the skeleton key quest? I have a ton of lockpicks and don't really have much trouble with locks, but I'd appreciate the convenience :)
 
DNAlevelC said:
Now let me ask one more thing. Has anyone tried a controller on the PC? I have a PS2 style Logitech and I was thinkin of giving it a shot. Any ideas?

DNA

I've tried it unsuccessfully with the Logitech dual analog USB controller. The problem is getting the camera scoll mapped. If you figure it out, please let me know!

Also, addressing your original question about where to "find" lockpicks.

Go to the Imperial City market district and simply find the area with all the empty barrels. If memory serves, it should be by the armory and weapon shops. Simply search through all the crates/barrels and you are nearly guaranteed to find a handful. Anytime you need a refill, warp back and rinse/repeat. This would be the alternative to those that have guided you to purchase points...
 
If you are not level 10, just look in crates and boxes. I look in everything where I am. You will find lockpicks. As others have stated, the theives guild quests have lockpicks as well. Talk to the homeless, they are the "eyes and ears of the Gray Fox" if you have yet to initiate the quests. I'd buy as many as you can. I've noticed in Oblivion that money is really useless. There is nothing worthwhile to spend it on and when you get to the point to purchase those $6500 pair of gloves, you already have a better pair you found or recieved from a quest.

-fro
 
afropuff said:
I've noticed in Oblivion that money is really useless. There is nothing worthwhile to spend it on and when you get to the point to purchase those $6500 pair of gloves, you already have a better pair you found or recieved from a quest.

VERY true. Once I got past level 8 or 9, money became pointless. I can walk into a cave that regens human enemies and walk out with 5K in loot in minutes. There are a few good items randomly for sale (charged magical weapons), but the only thing I really ever use my money for is recharging spent magical weapons. Once you see that first enemy packing glass items, the writing is on the wall for money to become no longer an issue.
 
Sweet.....something to look forward to then. I'm a level 2 mage (a little Gandalf in the making, I hope) and so money is pretty important as of now.....
 
Back
Top