Oblivion: Level-Up Tips?

thelead

2[H]4U
I'm only a level 4.... i keep reading about people being lvl 15 and higher. What are some tips to get level-ups faster. And what exactly causes a level up? Is it a total of your increased skills throughout your current lvl?

10 skill ups from any of your major skills of your class gives you a level. all you need to do is practice/use those skills and you will level up in no time.

I found that if you turn the game difficulty up you level up faster, makes it a little more challenging though

However, the more you level the harder the opponents get. So leveling fast isn't necessarily the way to go. I would suggest simply playing the game, doing lots of things, and having fun. You will level eventually. If you want more challenge on the main quest just make sure you do it slowly, just one part at a time instead of rushing through it. That way your level will be a little higher in each part until the very end.

Naldo said:
I found that if you turn the game difficulty up you level up faster, makes it a little more challenging though

Yeah because you end up using your skills more... I mean when it takes like 10 hits to kill a rat, you level up alot faster...

Personally I installed a mod to slow leveling down... I think it levels too fast although I play with 65% difficulty.

It depends on your character. If you're a mage or a character who isn't much for hand-to-hand, it'll actually make life hell if you level up too often. You'll spend your life running backwards and hitting enemies with hundreds of spells/arrows.
If you're more of a fighter, the BEST way to level up is to get into fights with characters that cannot be killed. For instance Lucien Lachance (head of the Dark Brotherhood) can't be killed and you'll simply knock him unconscious.
You can do that over and over again. Practice your blocking and attacking on these characters and head for the hills when you're on death's door as they won't follow you far.

I just bumped my difficulty to 60% today... and i'm lvl 10. My first char, i was lvling way too fast. I had blade, heavy armor, block, restoration, and destruction as my main skills... and was specialized in combat... so all those were skyrocketing way too fast. Now, the only main ones i have in Major is heavy armor and block, and i'm lvling at a much steadier pace now. I unfortunately put alchemy in my main as well, i don't know what i was thinking... but now i'm afradi to do alchemy, because it'll be so damn easy to level!!!

BTW i'm lvl 10 with about 20hrs of play in.

thelead said:
I'm only a level 4.... i keep reading about people being lvl 15 and higher. What are some tips to get level-ups faster. And what exactly causes a level up? Is it a total of your increased skills throughout your current lvl?
Unlike most RPGs, leveling up in Oblivion quickly is not the best way to go about making your character better, relatively speaking.
The reason being everything else in the world levels up with you, depending on your playstyle you may easily beat a mob at level 2, the same exact mob will kick your arse when you are at level 10.
So whats more important than levelling is getting the perks of your main skills, at as low a level as possible.

Just don't worry about it too much, and enjoy the game :)

The ultimate goal of leveling up is to get bonuses for your attributes - preferrably, +5. If you are only getting +1 or +2 to your stats (Strength, Intelligence, Willpower, etc) upon leveling up, you will be in for a rough time later on. However if you consistently get +5 on leveling the game will be much easier because you will be very strong.

It sounds backwards but you basically have to make your most used skills your MINOR skills and your least used (but easily leveled) skills your MAJORS. Level your heavily used minor skills like blade, block, or security up by 10, and then make a bunch of potions in alchemy to level up (or armorer, acrobatics, etc). Then you can select +5 for your desired attribute. For example, my character that I just started based on this leveling system is only level 6 but already far stronger than my level 10 character, simply because he has got +5 for strength, endurance, and agility on each level up. That's 35 total for each, whereas before I was only getting around +2 with my other guy, so only around +20/25 stat increases for him.

The only drawback to this is that you have to watch what you have leveled up and keep up with what your skill totals were at the beginning of a level and how much you need to increase them. It's also slightly tedious but well worth it in the end IMO.

But is it really fun to play like that? Isn´t it just fun to play just as you normally would want to instead of trying to abuse the game code as to level faster? Playing unrealistically just to make your character stronger compared to the surroundings?

I rather adjust the difficulty with the difficulty slider if I get completely stuck or things get to easy...

I am at level 16 now and Oblivion has never been as easy. Well in the very beginning yes. I have just increased the skills I want to increase. I am not maxing out one single skill I have been working on levelling up my magic skills since my character is naturally good at running/jumping/sneaking/markmanship now I have it all pretty much levelled out. I only have 45 in strength though but have some armour and amuletts that increase that as well.

I have not rushed levelling but never got more then +4 on an attribute mostly +2 or +3 all the time.

And even with the so called adjustable enemies I do get the same sense of owning like in Morrowind where you become practically immortal in the end so don´t be to worried about levelling or anything. Whats the fun when everythign is super easy anyway? I have the slider in the middle and have had it there from the beginning. I may increase it if I still find it gets even easier. But I am going to start the main quest now I think or soon at least. Have played 35 hours have done the first quest to close the oblivion gate in Kvatch though...

Otherwise as for looting. I would suggest you wait to loot until you level up to 15 or something because otherwise you only find crap in those dungeons.

Not everyone wants to level up fast because they are lazy or want to cheat. I saw a post about a guy who was after a sword but you had to be level 20 to get it. PS I wish I knew about the 100% chameleon spell that you can use to get Umbra before I completed all the mages quests.

Yeah... I probably put 120 hrs into that game years ago. Damn, can't believe this one showed back up lol

I remember the easiest thing to level up was sneaking. I'd just crouch and walk into a dark corner in a cave filled with enemies. You can just put a weight on the keyboard (or use a rubber band with your control pad) and just have it sit there overnight. When you wake up - you'll have gained a dozen levels or more.

Weight on the keyboard? There is an auto run key. I've done it before, though much easier to console: 'player.setav sneak 100'

But then cheating ruins the game.

Why am I continuing an undead thread? :p

Weight on the keyboard? There is an auto run key. I've done it before, though much easier to console: 'player.setav sneak 100'

But then cheating ruins the game.

Why am I continuing an undead thread? :p

Slow morning? ;)

Well no one can say that guy didn't use the search engine first before posting. :)

I've got a level 29 Blademage (custom class, Mage with Blade instead of Alchemy).

It's really easy to get high levels: just train your skills. It's much easier with Magic classes, but if you keep casting a simple spell over and over it trains you. My favourite is to train Conjuration and Blade at the same time: summon a zombie then hack it to death. Rinse and repeat.

For the other skills, just do them. Stuff like Speechcraft and Security is easy if you like the mini-games, but if not, use the trainers to your advantage. There's one for every skill.

http://www.uesp.net is a fantastic resource as well.

mods make Oblivion quite a game, quite a game. I only wish they had implemented co-op, it'd be the greatest game of all time.

I found that if I was taking too much time worrying about which skill I was using to level up it took the enjoyment out of the game. There is a mod that allows you to just play the game and your character will level up just as normal and don't have to worry about it.

Not sure what it's called but I do remember you have to put a ring on in the beginning and it has you declare everything. I found it to be much more enjoyable that way. Hopefully someone here will remember it.

EDIT: HOLY THREAD NECRO

I found that if I was taking too much time worrying about which skill I was using to level up it took the enjoyment out of the game. There is a mod that allows you to just play the game and your character will level up just as normal and don't have to worry about it.

Not sure what it's called but I do remember you have to put a ring on in the beginning and it has you declare everything. I found it to be much more enjoyable that way. Hopefully someone here will remember it.

EDIT: HOLY THREAD NECRO

I find the leveling enhancements from Orsuco's Oblivion Overhaul work to this end as well... it becomes much easier to level up your skills, but the enemies become harder.

Back