Oblivion guru's: Quick Q about lot'sa mods and bugs that happen

Citizen86

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got my Oblivion fully modded with FCOM and quite a few other mods. I started playing, and for probably the first time since I've tried so many mods at once, it actually worked! You definitely have to read http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/ thoroughly.

So I started the game, did a bit in the Imperial City, then made my way over to Weynon Prior, then Chorrol. I started the "Canvas the Castle" quest, where you have to find out who stole the painting. I started looking around, and I run into my first major bug (actually I think it's the only bug I've found so far). The whole castle works, until I get to Oglof's room. Basically it's non-existant. The front wall is not there, but there is his door, and I can see in and his bed and other items are there... but it's a black void. If I step in then I fall and continuously fall without any chance of moving.... I'm pretty sure it's a problem with all the mods.

I did a google search for a bug like that, but didn't find much. I assume it's a problem with all of the mods I've added. I'm sure someone has seen something like this, but what causes it? I can post my OBMM list and BOSS log if anyone wants it.

I'm glad I finally got this game all installed and modded up again. Haven't really played it since it came out in-depth. Amazing game IMO.

Cliffs: Room missing and turns into black hole void in game after mods. What is that?

No ideas on how to fix it or why it happened? I'm pretty sure I didn't install any mods that messed with that part of the castle is why I find it weird.

Sounds like a missing mesh/texture.. .

You think so? A mesh I guess... but do missing textures do that? Especially for one room in a castle when the rest of the castle had no other problems.

Post load order please.

Oblivion.esm

Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm

Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm

Mart's Monster Mod.esm

TamrielTravellers.esm

FCOM_Convergence.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp

Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp
. Note: Remember to use the 'MOBS' version when using Francesco's and FCOM.
. Note: Newest MOBS and non-MOBS versions have the same name.

Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Bosses.esp

Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Enemies.esp

Francesco's Optional Chance of More Enemies.esp

Francesco's Optional Leveled Guards.esp
. Note: Requires Shivering Isles expansion when using FCOM.

FCOM_Francescos.esp
. Note: Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items 4.5b required.

FCOM_FrancescosItemsAddOn.esp
. Note: Francesco's supplementary addon package required.

FCOM_FrancescosNamedBosses.esp

Fran Armor Add-on.esp
. Bashed Patch tag suggestion: {{BASH:Invent}}
. Note: Requires FCOM_UnofficialFranArmorAddon.esp
. Note: Requires the meshes from 'Bonemold Helmet' and 'Cryos Ordinator Indoril Armor' mods, but not the ESPs.

Fran_Lv30Item_Maltz.esp

oc_darker_nights.esp
. Note: Not compatible with weather overhauls.

Enhanced Water v2.0 HDMI.esp

MIS.esp

MIS New Sounds Optional Part.esp

Storms & Sound.esp
. Note: Use only one Storms and Sound mod file.

Cities Alive At Night.esp

Akatosh Mount By Saiden Storm.esp

diversegrasses.esp

P1DmenuEscape.esp

RAEVWD Cities.esp

RAEVWD New Sheoth.esp

RAEVWD Imperial City.esp

Living Economy.esp
. Note: Don't use 'Living Economy' and 'Living Economy - SI' together. Pick one.

Living Economy - Items.esp

DLCHorseArmor.esp

DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp
. Bashed Patch tag suggestion: {{BASH:Relev}}

DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp

Bob's Armory Oblivion.esp
. Note: Requires 'FCOM_BobsArmory.esp'.

Cheat Bob's Armory Oblivion.esp

FCOM_BobsArmory.esp
. Note: Requires 'Bob's Armory Oblivion.esp'.

Oblivion WarCry EV.esp
. Note: Requires either 'FCOM_WarCry.esp' or 'FCOM_WarCryNoSpawn.esp'.

FCOM_WarCry.esp
. Note: Use either 'FCOM_WarCry.esp' or 'FCOM_WarCryNoSpawn.esp', not both.

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp

OOO-Water_Weeds.esp

FCOM_Convergence.esp

FCOM_RealSwords.esp

FCOM_DurabilityAndDamage.esp

FCOM_SpawnRatesReduced.esp
. Note: Use only one: Reduced, SlightlyReduced or Stronger.

Mart's Monster Mod - Looting NPCs & Creatures.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - No Blood.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Foxes.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Hunting & Crafting.esp

TamrielTravellerAdvScript.esp

TamrielTravellers.esp
!!! FCOM INSTALLATION ERROR: Delete. 'Use TamrielTravellers4OOO.esp' and 'FCOM_TamrielTravelers.esp' instead.

ShiveringIsleTravellers.esp
. Note: Use of 'TamrielTravellersItemsNPC.esp', 'TamrielTravellersItemsUnscaled.esp', or 'TamrielTravellersItemsVendors.esp' will remove SI items for sale.
. Note: Requires Shivering Isles expansion.

ShiveringIsleTravellersFriendlyFactions.esp

FCOM_TamrielTravelers.esp
. Note: Requires 'TamrielTravellers4OOO.esp'

OOO-WaterFish.esp

BravilSeaDomes.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCFrostcrag.esp
. Bashed Patch tag suggestion: {{BASH:C.Owner}}

DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp
. Note: Possible conflict with Frostcrag Reborn. Do not use both or land tearing will occur.

Knights.esp

Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp

The Lost Spires.esp

Blood&Mud.esp
. Bashed Patch tag suggestion: {{BASH:Hair}}
. Note: FCOM requires 'FCOM_WelkyndSwordBlood&Mud.esp' or 'FCOM_Blood&Mud.esp'.

HoarfrostCastle.esp
. Bashed Patch tag suggestion: {{BASH:Hair}}

FCOM_Blood&Mud.esp
. Note: Requires 'Blood&Mud.esp'.

FCOM_Knights.esp
. Bashed Patch tag suggestion: {{BASH:Delev,Relev}}
. Note: Requires DLC 'Knights.esp'.

FCOM_UnofficialFranArmorAddon.esp
. Note: Requires 'Fran Armor Add-on.esp' from 'Unofficial Francesco's Armor'.

Harvest [Flora].esp

Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp

Harvest [Flora] - DLCVileLair.esp

Harvest [Flora] - DLCFrostcrag.esp

Toggleable Quantity Prompt.esp

MidasSpells.esp

No psychic guards v1.2.esp

[GFX]_Initial_Glow-all.esp
. Note: Put shader removers after shader replacers (like Visually Enhanced Weapons) to remove or limit their display.

[GFX]_Initial_Glow-creatures.esp
. Note: Put shader removers after shader replacers (like Visually Enhanced Weapons) to remove or limit their display.

Get Wet.esp

Real Lava 1.3.esp
. Bashed Patch tag suggestion: {{BASH:Graphics}} and deactivate.

Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Streamline 3.1.esp

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Unrecognised mod files:
Reorder these by hand using your favourite mod ordering utility.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Unknown mod file: darker nights for shivering isles.esp
Unknown mod file: UnlimitedTraining.esp

Heh, I see one thing I did wrong apparently: TamrielTravelers, I used a wrong version... but that shouldn't matter at all for the problem I was describing.

Are you using the full version of OOO or the Lite install? Because from what I remember, some of the Francescos mods are included in OOO. I could be wrong though, it has been a while.

Full version. I think that's correct though, I followed the FCOM installation order and walkthrough.

Well, I have no clue. Mods are correctly bashed, right?

A missing texture should replace itself with a pink texture and you wouldn't be able to fall through it. A missing mesh should indicate (via a exclamation point or something obvious) that a mesh is missing in that area but you would be able to fall through it as nothing would be there to support you.

My advice is to post it over at the official forums if you don't get an answer here, but you probably already came to that conclusion.

I did bash them as well, as described... I forget where. devnull I think. I'll take a look over at the official forums though. Thanks

I don't think its a 'missing' texture or mesh.

From my experience making my own mods with the TES construction kit, i'd guess that the maker of one of your addons accidentaly deleted the static model of the room, perhaps while looking around another part of that cell for some reason.

The way the environment is built in Oblivion (and morrowind for that matter), a small room will often be a single model comprising the floor, celing, and 3 walls, with either a seperate wall with a 'door hole' over the end of it, or its placed against a matching corridor section.

If you can find out which mod is responsible you may be able to find a fixed .esp file, or if you've any expereince with the construction kit you may be able to fix it yourself.

A quick fix if you just want to grab something from the room may be to hit ` to bring up the console and type 'tcl' which toggles the noclip and you won't fall when you step out of the corridor.

Hey that's pretty helpful Raxiel, thanks. I think you're right, because it was basically the WHOLE room missing, but the bed was still inside, a chest, etc. And of course the door which opened and closed. That room wasn't important to the quest though, so I figure if I don't need to fix it, I'll just leave it. He has a pretty small room anyways ;)

Good info though, sometimes to remember for later. I'm amazed at the amount of Mods though, I thought I could start playing but I just keep downloading more :p

Citizen, could you do me a favor by testing the area without Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp active?

Sure I'll try that after work today. The thing is though, is if it's how Raxiel describes, that there would be something written about it somewhere on the net... but I can barely find anything about it. That's why I figured it was probably a conflict. I think I'm only using pretty popular mods

Thinking about it, Its technicaly possible its due to a conflict with between a particular combination of mods.

If the Author of Mod A.esp accidentaly deleted that static, but only noticed when they where working on Mod B.esp and replaced it with a new one from the static list in that mod, then if mods A and B where expected to be run together then you'd get this problem if you only ran A.

But its pretty unlikely for it to happen without anyone else reporting it.

Unless it was a brand new bug. Oblivion is a big game so its possible that you're just the first person to enter that room with the latest version of whichever .esp is causing it.

Thus the problem with having 100+ mods all going at the same time. Like I said, I doubt I'll ever have to go into that room... it's a tiny room and I don't need anything from it, I was just surprised because it was one of the first few quests I did.

I know this is kinda resolved, but I went ahead and took a look at that cell in the construction kit.

It's strange, that room is actualy made up of 7 statics. 6 in a 3x2 grid for the room and one for the hallway between the door and the room. So i'm not sure how someone could accidentaly delete all of them (without realising) without taking the furnature too, but whatever. I still don't think it could be a missing mesh because there would be holes all over the place if it where.

Thanks for taking a look Raxiel. The response I got at an Oblivion dedicated forum was basically "remove mods one at a time to see which one is causing it".... I have a ton of mods, and the little time I have for playing the game I don't want dedicated to that one problem, hehe... as much as I would like to help out the community. Well maybe one day.

Well, its kinda lazy, and has the potential to take just as long, but my method is to disable half my addons at a time. If a problem goes away, you know it was one of them and re-enable half untill you whittle it down.

Back