Oblivion: Can't get object shadows to work.

Has anyone been able to find what video option controls the abiilty for the game to cast shadows through objects? Like the demo movie in prison when the chains from the ceiling casts shadows on the wall or the ribcage as the player picks it up, you can clearly see shadows from it. It better not be a Xbox360 feature only or im gonna be pissed.

Its the Chapter 1 movie

http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/media_movies.htm

Without watching the movie due to laziness, that's probably the feature they cut. Why? Who knows. But some speculate it was because

a) they didn't have the time before release
b) they didn't want to piss of Microsoft since the X360 wouldn't have been able to handle it and MS wanted both versions to look equal.

Take your pick, but either way the nice shadow effects present in the originally showcased movies of Oblivion are not in the final release.

steviep said:
b) they didn't want to piss of Microsoft since the X360 wouldn't have been able to handle it and MS wanted both versions to look equal.
I resent that remark, it's specualtion. You shouldn't point it out as fact. I think that is one main reason people always get on you for things like that.

actually I have a 360, and a pretty good rig (see sig), I got for the PC just cause I just upgraded to it last week.. :) .. but I speculate that it was the PCs holding back the shadows and the 360 COULD in fact do them.

lesman said:
I resent that remark, it's specualtion. You shouldn't point it out as fact. I think that is one main reason people always get on you for things like that.

he didnt present it as fact, he clearly said.. some speculate

Tetrahedron said:
he didnt present it as fact, he clearly said.. some speculate

Yep. It's been speculated on various boards, and I posted it as such - never as fact :)
If they were smart, they would've made it available as a checkbox on the PC version, but it's likely that they just didn't have time for it.

steviep said:
Yep. It's been speculated on various boards, and I posted it as such - never as fact :)
If they were smart, they would've made it available as a checkbox on the PC version, but it's likely that they just didn't have time for it.
Eh, sorry about that steviep, I didn't catch the "some speculate" part. My apologies! :)

Back