Oblivion and crossfire

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I know this is an older game but I was wondering whether any of you guys know whether the texture flickering issues have ever been resolved when running Oblivion with a Crossfire or SLI setup. I remember that there were some serious flickering problems a while back, and havn't kept up to date. I've done a search, but havn't found any answers for people who have run it recently.

I have Oblivion for the X360 and am considering replaying it, except buying the PC version from Steam this time.

Its a whole different experience on the PC , go for it. There are so many mods out there than transform the game into a world you can call you own.

As for the crossfire/sli issue , I've never heard of it happening.

Hey guys, I know this is an older game but I was wondering whether any of you guys know whether the texture flickering issues have ever been resolved when running Oblivion with a Crossfire or SLI setup. I remember that there were some serious flickering problems a while back, and havn't kept up to date. I've done a search, but havn't found any answers for people who have run it recently.

I have Oblivion for the X360 and am considering replaying it, except buying the PC version from Steam this time.

I played the crap out of the game with 8800GT SLI, the only major problem I had was the screen turning black when you would look in a certain direction, this happened in non-SLI also. It was just an nvidia problem with a few different drivers, a community mod/patch was released that fixed it.

Playing with a pair of 5850's, I had even fewer problems (none). The game itself doesn't really scale fantastically with sli/crossfire, but I've not seen the flicker you mention on either of my 2 systems.

Thanks guys. Just a couple more questions :)

I hear that the PC version of Oblivion only supports stereo audio and not full surround sound like the X360 version. Is this true? This right here could be the dealbreaker for me since I find games without surround sound to be inexcusable. There seem to be numerous mods that supposedly enhance the stereo sound. The audio in the X360 is absolutely incredible.

What would be a good mod site for Oblivion that you guys like? I would be interested in only mods that bring the graphics a little more up to date and there are literally a million mods for Oblivion from what I can find.

I played the crap out of the game with 8800GT SLI, the only major problem I had was the screen turning black when you would look in a certain direction, this happened in non-SLI also. It was just an nvidia problem with a few different drivers, a community mod/patch was released that fixed it.

Playing with a pair of 5850's, I had even fewer problems (none). The game itself doesn't really scale fantastically with sli/crossfire, but I've not seen the flicker you mention on either of my 2 systems.

Do you happen to have a link or a name for the patch man? I'm having that problem when I'm in sneak mode inside of houses. The screen will turn black in certain directions so I can't see anything. It's really awful.

Edit: Nevermind. I just found the link after a bit of searching.

Last edited:
What would be a good mod site for Oblivion that you guys like? I would be interested in only mods that bring the graphics a little more up to date and there are literally a million mods for Oblivion from what I can find.

tesnexus.com is a great place to look for mods.

Yes, go to tesnexus and go to "Top 100". It will give you the top stuff in the recent 2 weeks. Be sure to check out the top 100 overall too. After that, go to "Browse by Category" for Weapons, armors, "Models and Textures", Animations. Just sort by "endorsements" -> descending. In no time, you'll be gleefully basking in 100+ mods. :p

Be sure to read the "requirements" and "conflicts" in the readme or online description. One way or another (even though you only want graphics) you will probably end up getting Oblivion Script Extender. You might also probably want to get Oblivion Mod Manager, especially if you download in the OMOD format. (Just a file that packages mods for you).

Thanks for the links guys. The amount of mods available for Oblivion are staggering!

Can anyone verify whether Oblivion has full 5.1 channel surround sound? I still can't seem to find info on it as some old threads i've dug up point to the PC version only having stereo.

Thanks for the links guys. The amount of mods available for Oblivion are staggering!

Can anyone verify whether Oblivion has full 5.1 channel surround sound? I still can't seem to find info on it as some old threads i've dug up point to the PC version only having stereo.

I don't know where you heard that. Oblivion has some of the best directional sound that I've heard in any game ever made.

And the answer is yes, it's full 5.1 surround. See this link to enable it.

http://www.oldblivion.com/sm/index.php?topic=4768.0

I don't know where you heard that. Oblivion has some of the best directional sound that I've heard in any game ever made.

And the answer is yes, it's full 5.1 surround. See this link to enable it.

http://www.oldblivion.com/sm/index.php?topic=4768.0

It looks like you have to manually enable it according to that post. This might be why i've been told that the PC version doesn't support surround sound. I remember this was a common question back when it first came out. I ultimately decided to get the X360 version since the PC version was apparantly super buggy back then. Even the X360 version was filled with massive bugs.

It looks like you have to manually enable it according to that post.

Not exactly, as there are options in the in-game menu that gives you multiple speaker setup options. If you set it to surround sound, that option will toggle itself in the .ini file. There really should be no reason to set it manually, unless you want to make absolutely sure that it's enabled.

Back