Oblivion - Am I doing something wrong?

greenhorn1

Limp Gawd
OK i haven't played for very long yet, and I'm only level 2. One of the guards mentioned a painter guy so I went to find him, found his house and wife said he disappeared, eventually found the guy and he tells me I need to kill some painted trolls. I can't kill them. The only thing that seems to damage them is the turpentine he gave me but he only gave me 6 which is nowhere near enough. Am I just not high enough level to be doing this yet or am I doing something wrong. And if i'm not high enough level is there anywhere that indicates that to me other than just getting my ass kicked repeatedly by these trolls?

Make sure your weapon is fully repaired, a damaged weapon/armor loses its effectiveness real fast.

Some creatures are resistant, immune to certain types of damage. Try using a different weapon to see if that helps.

How many trolls do you need to kill? If you have to kill 6, hit them with the turpentine first, then hack em up. Maybe it'll be easier then.

Dunno, haven't done that quest...

I haven't got to that quest yet, but maybe try and adjust the difficulty slider down a bit in the options.

I did this quest at level 8 with no problems. Also I am a dedicated warrior spec. They are tough. I found using a shield to repel their hits and then 3 or 4 chops with the sword then back behind the shield was the ticket.

Save your turpentine as well, there are 6 of them, one bottle for each.

At lvl 12 they were tough fights (their difficulty scales with your level). You may need to use silver weapons to hurt them, I'm not sure. I used a magic dagger and silver arrows, plus used a summonded scamp to draw their attention away from me.

I'm a level 10 magic user, and trolls kick my arse for the most part. Summoning creatures help, using the turpentine help, I think fire spells damage trolls more than other forms of magic.

Still I have a very hard time with them. I read somewhere that they are level 12 creatures at minimum, so if that is true, you'd have a very hard time with them.

I don't use weapons too often. I always equip my Heat Wave spell, it does 70% damage with one blast and its usually enough to drop anything once. The only time I ever draw my sword is if I want to play around with whatever I'm about to kill.

And where is this painter guy you speak of? I want to do that quest now. I'm currently doing the vampire one but got board and have been standing outside the Umbacano Manor for the past 2 days casing it. I'm gonna rob them. Unfortunately for me they have 4+ private guards on a rotating shift and I've been unable to see any holes where I can sneak in, loot them and leave before the next shift shows up. Because as one guy is leaving the next is walking in the door.

Moose777 said:
And where is this painter guy you speak of? I want to do that quest now. I'm currently doing the vampire one but got board and have been standing outside the Umbacano Manor for the past 2 days casing it. I'm gonna rob them. Unfortunately for me they have 4+ private guards on a rotating shift and I've been unable to see any holes where I can sneak in, loot them and leave before the next shift shows up. Because as one guy is leaving the next is walking in the door.

Interesting problem. Well, do you mind eliminating a guard or two? What happens if you follow a guard back to his house after his shift and kill him there? Will he show up for his next shift? Will someone else? Or will there be a nice big hole in their security?

The quest is in Cheydinhal. You will find his wife wondering town, and most of the townsfolk talk of the missing painter. Someone will tell you to meet the wife at their house and you go from there.

Trolls dont like fire. Use the turpentine and then hit them with fire . . . mmmmmm bbq troll.

I am a thief/asassin. I just dipped my arrows in the turpintine and sneak attacked the trolls. Caned.

climb up on a rock and if you cant reach them with your sword + turpentine, use a fire spell, if you got it. I managed to kill 2 of them with just blade and turpentine but my armor and sword were beat to hell, so I had to cheat it alittle. I was level 2 I think...it was tough.

Best way I have found to kill those trolls is by using sneak with the Marksman skill to get at least 3X damage, using the turpentine on your bow. Those trolls dropped with one arrow each.

electech98 said:
Best way I have found to kill those trolls is by using sneak with the Marksman skill to get at least 3X damage, using the turpentine on your bow. Those trolls dropped with one arrow each.

I used sneak and the turpen and got the 6X dmg, then a few fire balls took them down. I missed two of them with the sneak and the battle was long and annoying!

i'm still level 1, there are 6 trolls that go down with one hit each from my sword fused with turpentine

Hmm I'll try it with the turp on my sword onstead of bow. the trolls were seeing through my sneak pretty far off so I wasn't getting the 3x bonus otherwise I think they would have died in 1 hit that way too.

TrueBuckeye said:
Interesting problem. Well, do you mind eliminating a guard or two? What happens if you follow a guard back to his house after his shift and kill him there? Will he show up for his next shift? Will someone else? Or will there be a nice big hole in their security?
I hadn't thought about that. The main reason being, is because it seems that everytime I do something illegal, such as rob someone, kill someone I get caught. Even with the "No Phsycic Guards."

Theres also a reason why I've decided on 2 days, to count exactly how many guards I see. I talk to each one of them to confirm that they work for Umbacano Manor. Which they do. Within 2 days I counted 4 guards. They change shifts approximately every 4 hours. I'm assuming if I kill one someone will fill their shoes. Unless.....I kill one and then get hired. Then I'd be on the inside. I wonder.....is that even possible? I'm going to try to kill one now. :)

Good show Rich, I haven't been to Cheydinhal yet. I'm trying to finish up the quests I have in my unfinished quest book before moving on.

Be ready for the biggest pain in the ass event i've seen yet when you go there. ;)

Sorry for this question, I know its as dumb as the item dropping one, but how do you level up once your core skills reach their criterea?

Once you can level it will tell you to rest and meditate. You then sleep by finding a bed at an Inn etc.

Yea thats what I thought, i sleep for 1-24 hours and nothing happens, does it have to be a bed?

greenhorn1 said:
OK i haven't played for very long yet, and I'm only level 2. One of the guards mentioned a painter guy so I went to find him, found his house and wife said he disappeared, eventually found the guy and he tells me I need to kill some painted trolls. I can't kill them. The only thing that seems to damage them is the turpentine he gave me but he only gave me 6 which is nowhere near enough. Am I just not high enough level to be doing this yet or am I doing something wrong. And if i'm not high enough level is there anywhere that indicates that to me other than just getting my ass kicked repeatedly by these trolls?
i found if you jump over rocks and shit and go strait to the body, get the brush and come back, you only have to deal with 2 of those fuckers. 3 turpentines apiece...just wish i had 6 arrows...:(

MetalSluggX said:
Yea thats what I thought, i sleep for 1-24 hours and nothing happens, does it have to be a bed?

Yeah, it does. Just waiting won't do it.

I mean that I dont see any 'meditate button' when I press T to rest. I rest for 1-24 hours and It doesn't level up with that little icon in the bottom middle.
(Im running the PC version)

How do I get the Black Horse from the Dark Brotherhood? Do I get it after I complete some quest or can I get it right away? (There is a horse they give you, right??)

I can't find my stupid horse I got from the first part of the main quest. He's just nowhere to be seen, and he's not stolen.

MetalSluggX said:
I mean that I dont see any 'meditate button' when I press T to rest. I rest for 1-24 hours and It doesn't level up with that little icon in the bottom middle.
(Im running the PC version)

Find a bed and activate it. Get one at an inn or use one in one of your guild halls. You can also use the bedrolls you find in the slums if you don't mind getting bumb-stink on you.

I just did the painted troll quest.

Was it supposed to be hard? I didn't even used to terpentine. I used my Hammer of Fire up close and from a distance I used my Heat Wave spell.

Two blasts of the spell drops them. One blast from the spell and 3 quick hits with the hammer drops them. Although it did suck having to wander all over that rediculously bright colored painting though.

I still have most of the terpentine.

What difficulty level are you guys playing on? I just left mine at the default setting, and I beat this quest on lvl 2. The trolls all died with 2-3 hits from my katana...weird.

Yeah, there's a pretty big disparity between tanking the trolls and casting on them. After trying to tank them (lvl 8 heavy armor + longsword/shield) and using up all my turpentine on two trolls, I gave up and used my frost staff from the mage guild. Burned the whole staff over all 6 of em, but it was really easy doing it that way and I never got touched. The problem is that they hit like a mack truck, and my skill in Heavy Armor probably wasn't up to snuff.

Ranged combat is the way to go on these guys.

Back