oblivion 4 question

apcor

Limp Gawd
I am not really into RPG's but I watched a few videos of oblivion because I have heard so much about it. It looks to me like a first person action game sort of like dark messiah which I thought was pretty good. Can anyone tell me if this game is like dark messiah? The thing about RPG's I dont like is the ones I have seen are turn based and more managing your character than anything else. I really dont want to buy this and have to throw it in the never play pile. Tried looking for a demo but none to be found. Feedback plz.

Well I can tell you thing its Elder Scroll 4: Oblivion

1) It is an Action RPG style meaning there is no turn based combat. You run around and click your button to swing sword and that slices at things and the such.

2) It is an amazingly in depth RPG which lets you pretty much decide how you want your characte to be and play from a theif to assasin, from fighter to a barbarian, from a battle mage to a wizard, from a ranger to a merchant. You start out in a world that you can go anywhere and explore anywhere (after you make it past the tutorial) in a non-linear fashion. You don't even need to do the main quest there are hundreds of side quests for you to dso. You can join guild like the mages guild and rise through rank until you are arch mage, or join the thief guild and deal in the black market. You can even join an assassins guild and carry out contracts. You can buy a horse, a house, or even buy interest in a store.

Its a fun game thats hard to put down.

First off....

WAAAAY better than Dark Messiah.

Second....I'm with you in how a first-person RPG would be more fun than a turn-based version. And Oblivion is just that - its like playing a first person shooter...just...in a gigantic world, addicting game play, and fights that get you in the face of all sorts of characters and monsters. The graphics are insane, its the most immersive game I've played, I think.

Please don't disregard this game. Its so fun.

you wont have any luck finding a demo - Oblivion uses a sandbox style gameplay where the world is your oyster, and you can travel to the bottom of the ocean or to the tops of the mountains.

screen4.jpg

my only gripes with the game is that no matter how you start your character you can master every school of magic and melee combat skills so its very very cookie cutter.

and the item system in the default game ie no mods is rather lame.

so make sure you get a mod the does a complete overhaul of the game.

also the horrible LOD textures is an eye sore so you need to DL a texture mod. bu those dont fix all the LOD problems.

you can tell they designed it for a console and pc second in terms of the graphics. i think they should of fixed the LOD officially before they released it on pc.

the story is rather fun but its very linear.. way to linear for a game that claims to be open ended sure its open if you ignore the main plot of the game but is that really open if you ignore 80% of the content?

other than those problems its alright hehe. :)

im sure youve heard enough of my ranting lol.

Yeah, mods are huge in Oblivion. There is several huge graphical enhancements available as well as complete mechanic overhauls like Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul - that changes the leveling system and adds a lot more depth to a seemingly desolate world.

How about the inventory system and weapon/item selection. Specifically how they work in a combat situation. Is this the type game that has a complex weapon and inventory system or can you just manage a few keys and "get busy" with an enemy (like a shooter).

Simple equip and draw combat - it's an action RPG. It's not Half-Life 2 with swords as Dark Messiah feels like. It's comabt is fun, and will keep you strafing and swinging but it's not kicking into spikes and shit. You do have a weight limit on your character making it hard to carry more than a few good weapons, but it's a good combat system.

You should give it a try because although it's a flawed game, Oblivion is one of the better PC games from 2006. Definitely play with the latest Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.

I think I will take chance on it. The videos look really good - not I thought an RPG would be. Thanks for the feedback. Besides I am starved for a new game so I dont think I will be as critical of it.

Make sure you are on vacation, this will make you rush home from work or not even work at all. Great game :)

best graphics in a game right now, bar none. Decent, but it does get boring after about 80 hours :D

RailGunRiz said:
Make sure you are on vacation, this will make you rush home from work or not even work at all. Great game :)

Yea, when it first came out I spent like 250 hours playing it, way more then I should of, took 45 days off when it came out.

I got burnt @ 95hrs. Maybe it was using my restore image for a clean windows install and the lack of excitement to sift through the INI and tweak Oblivion to make use of my dual-core and optimize... as well as reloading all the mods (I did back up Oblivion, but it wouldn't make the transfer sadly :( ) It's a long process to get it working as perfect as it did before.

I highly recommend going over the Tweakguide for Oblivion, it makes huge differences in performance (especially for dual cores!!)

I agree with most everything that has been said. Oblivion is a great game, and mods just make it better!

I would highly reccomend picking up Knights of the Nine when you pick up Oblivion- it's a collection of all of the official downloadable content Bethesda has created. It comes with a whole new faction you get to create, if you so choose, along with a lot of other cool things like a Vile Lair for evil characters, you can create a thieves den, rebuild the Mage Academy's Orrery, create a wizard's tower, and a lot of other things.

Persoanlly, I think that the additon of Spell Tomes- books you can find as random treasure that give you spells for free if you read them.

apcor said:
I am not really into RPG's but I watched a few videos of oblivion because I have heard so much about it. It looks to me like a first person action game sort of like dark messiah which I thought was pretty good. Can anyone tell me if this game is like dark messiah? The thing about RPG's I dont like is the ones I have seen are turn based and more managing your character than anything else. I really dont want to buy this and have to throw it in the never play pile. Tried looking for a demo but none to be found. Feedback plz.

hmm well i liked oblivion (at least for 20 hours of gameplay).

didnt like dark messiah of might and magic much tho,single player shooters gets boring fast these days,oblivion is about exploration,and taking your time to read,talk,discover places/ppl/items etc...

so i guess it really depends on you,if you like games that have fast action all the time oblivion might not be for you,but if you enjoy getting deep into a world,and taking part of all it has to offer then you might like it.

Back